0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default top gear splitter

watching topgear the other night i noticed that they made the front splitter cover the engine bay underneath, i presume to smooth out airflow therefore reducing lift. has anybody tried smoothing out the underneath of a vectra? i haven't got the brains to do this but i can see why it would be good. i noticed that the 888 diffuser go's back further than the standard one and i quite fancied that. but short on pennies so i thought i would speculate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the diesels have that 'smooth' tray underneath the engine subframe, but theirs is there to stop engine noise....and i beleive the extended rear skirt from 888 is little more than a stronger version of what VX offer as it doesn't smooth out the area around the spare wheel well of the one's the offered for sale that spoon's had fitted..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of a racing car, a smoothed underfloor has many advantages (improves airflow etc) but it is only something that works at racing speeds (not within the legal speed limit ). This is for two reasons, firstly that on public roads, yo can't/shouldn't get up to speeds where a flat floor/difuser becomes useful and secondly because of the lack of speed, there is a good chance things would start to overheat.

In motor racing terms there are usually three or four elements to improving downforce.

1. Front Splitter
    2. Rear wing
    3. Flat floor
    4. Wheel arches

Wheel arches can be used to great effect by firstly fnding ways of allowing air to leave them (hence the large vents on the trailing edges of some gt cars). If enough air has the ability to move out of the wheel arches quickly enough, then by using elements of the front splitter, under tray and additional venting, downforce can be created through the continuous flow of air through the wheel arches.

I am not an aerodynamicist and I'm sure someone will put me right on some of this. But long and short of what I am trying to say is that other than for looks, its not something worth trying on a road car imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been looking into this since sunday and have contacted a few racing tuners i found on the internet. Basically they said it is a good idea and really helps with handling but is expensive and will cause excess heat and if your going to find any real use for a normal road car you will need a full tray to cover the undercar like on the r34 skyline.

As already said arches are a much better option as these offer downforce by the air moving over the top and forcing the car down rather than just smoothing the airflow from underneath and will offer more benefit than a splitter. The problem with arches is that they need to be smooth flowing or you will not feel the maximum benefits and that it is a custom job and again very expensive.

IMO go for the arches

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of the front splitter is to speed up the airflow under the car, this fast flowing air has a lower pressure (bit like your cig smoke being sucked out of the window. The fast moving air then gets to the diffuser where it tries to fill the now larger area the diffuser makes with the road causing more suction (to the road and pulling the air faster under the car.

Thread Information