Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c

Trim : SRI Estate

Engine : 1.8 VVTI

Year : 06

Default Computer help required

Computer went kapput so have built another one. The problem is that all my photos, music etc are on the previous computer's hard drive.

When I connect ( via ribbon ) this previous hard drive to the new pc as a second hard drive then although it says that there is 17Gb on it, when I look in the my photos / documents etc there is nothing there. Any help is gladly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

How big is the hard drive? Is it 17GB actually?

How old is the drive anyway?

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Slave it using an external hard drive enclosure.

Then you need to run data recovery software on it.

I do this a lot for clients, its a common thing they approach me for.

PM me, I have some software that may assist you in recovering the data that will be still sat on your old hard drive, assuming its not physically damaged.

If your not confident at recovering the data yourself, let me know. Stick the drive in the post to me if you want, I'll attempt data recovery and send it back down to you with hard copies of the data in the form of DVDR's.

Anything I can do to assist, no worries m8, let me know.

Need more details though. If you have set it up within your new PC as a slave, you should be able to see the files on the drive itself unless its suffered some sort of file damage ( data can still be recovered ) or as already mentioned, physical fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c

Trim : SRI Estate

Engine : 1.8 VVTI

Year : 06

old hard drive was 20Gb ( and another one of 50Gb ) new one is 250Gb
    drive is about 5 years old.
    got to leave for now as kids want to do some surfing ( and 'Heroes' is about to start )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you set the old drive's jumper to slave setting ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Just a tip, when you recover from this. Get yourself some partitioning software and partition the master drive into 3 or 4 drives. Try to keep the OS on a separate drive (usually C) and all other programmes on another drive. I use Partition Magic which I'd rate as 9/10 for user friendliness and effectiveness.

Get yourself a second HD (slave), partition this too and use it as a back up drive. I use Acronis to back up and I'd give this a 9/10.

Back-up your data regularly (every other month). Not all HD failures are physical. I've known friends to discard perfectly normal HD's due to the OS failing to load. Even worse they get ripped off at PC World (and all they do is wipe the HD clean, reinstall to OS and charge £200 for the privilege - basic stuff)

If its a genuine HD failure then once you've installed your new HD, then reinstall the entire system from the back up drive, takes five mins.

My current set-up

C - OS
    D- programmes
    E- Music
    F- pictures
    G- web/design

2nd drive
    H- back-ups (compressed mirrors of c,d,e,f,g & I :- each mirror can be installed separately and/or backed up separately)
    I - video

My C drive failed to boot a few days back, had the entire system up and running in 3 mins. The only data I lost were a few pics and letters that me missus saved on C drive, suffice to say she knows better now.

If you're smart enough to build your own rigs, then the above should be a doddle.
    Last edited by izonoky; 6th December 2007 at 10:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great advice here !

Quote Originally Posted by izonoky View Post
    Just a tip, when you recover from this. Get yourself some partitioning software and partition the master drive into 3 or 4 drives. Try to keep the OS on a separate drive (usually C) and all other programmes on another drive. I use Partition Magic which I'd rate as 9/10 for user friendliness and effectiveness.

Get yourself a second HD (slave), partition this too and use it as a back up drive. I use Acronis to back up and I'd give this a 9/10.

Back-up your data regularly (every other month). Not all HD failures are physical. I've known friends to discard perfectly normal HD's due to the OS failing to load. Even worse they get ripped off at PC World (and all they do is wipe the HD clean, reinstall to OS and charge £200 for the privilege - basic stuff)

almost exactly what I do except I have a raid card meaning that I have extra hard drives and a 650 watt power supply. Music / pics / docs / windows & progs / backup all on seperate hard drives. Acronis is a bootable backup software - if windows fail you boot from the acronis disk and recover from your last backup. It also schedules backups for you and does them automatically. PM me for details of acronis 10 backup software if your interested.

If its a genuine HD failure then once you've installed your new HD, then reinstall the entire system from the back up drive, takes five mins.

My current set-up

C - OS
    D- programmes
    E- Music
    F- pictures
    G- web/design

2nd drive
    H- back-ups (compressed mirrors of c,d,e,f,g & I :- each mirror can be installed separately and/or backed up separately)
    I - video

My C drive failed to boot a few days back, had the entire system up and running in 3 mins. The only data I lost were a few pics and letters that me missus saved on C drive, suffice to say she knows better now.

If you're smart enough to build your own rigs, then the above should be a doddle.

Thread Information