Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default More camera advice needed ??

Well lens actually, but same difference .. Decided to take the plunge and buy the canon 400d that I have been eying up for ages, the standard kit comes with an 18-55 lens which gets very poor reviews, I have seen a "Canon EF-S - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS" which I fancy because of the image stabaliser, would this lens be of a superior quality as it isn`t a bundled lens ? Already have bigger lenses and need a small lense anyway so want a decent one ..

And is the "is" all it`s cracked up to be ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was going to dismiss it as the same lens as the 18-55mm with some fancy electronics, but reading this http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56is/index.htm it sounds a good buy, my lads got the original 18-55mm on his 350d & its a reasonable bit of kit for the price.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That is a good write up for it, I can get it for about £80 more than the bundled lens bought with a 400d so seems like good value ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Canon 'kit' lenses are poor quality. The Nikon's on the other hand are very good.

If it were me, i'd choose a D40X and a 18-55 over a 400D and a 18-55 any day. If you can stretch a little then a Nikon 18-70 (the best kit lens ever made) would be a far better choice again.

Not wanting to bash Canon, but they feel like toys once you've used a Nikon.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry just re-read you've already bought it. Ok well then i'd have advise on the the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 which for a couple hundred would make an excellent 'kit' lens.

Spend a little more (£350) and a second hand 17-40 F4L could be in reach which is optically fantastic, I've had one .

Moving on there is the Canon 17-85 IS lens which is not bad, far better than the kit, although again more expensive (£300).

Hope that helps.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers, I have not bought it yet, and did consider the nikon d40x , but I already have a few eos lenses for a film camera which will be useful for the 400d , also the 400d is very similar to the film camera which I am used to (and the wife) .

is there an adaptor type do-da which would let me use canon lenses on a nikon ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by andythilo View Post
    The Canon 'kit' lenses are poor quality. The Nikon's on the other hand are very good.
    Erm, not entirely true!, and a bit of a sweeping statement. The Canon 18-55 'kit' lens is certainly not the best lens, doesn't get great write-ups for sure. But then some of the kit lenses from Nikon aren't stunning either. The 'kit' lens that came with my Canon 5D was a 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, so as a kit lens it's far from shabby!
    Not wanting to bash Canon, but they feel like toys once you've used a Nikon.
    Again, a very sweeping and untrue statement. I've picked up Nikons that have felt lightweight and 'toylike', same as I have with some Canons e.g. the 300D was one that I recall - but you expect this at the lower end of the range as they have to cut the costs somewhere. But to just say that all Canons are like toys is not a true statement.

Tommy, if you've got your eyes on a 400D I know for sure you won't be disappointed, it's had very good reviews from what I've seen. Definitely get rid of, or don't get, the 18-55 lens that comes with it. As cameraman said, the 18-55 IS gets a decent review, and yes the IS feature is all it's cracked up to be. Of course, it's going to come into it's own more on telephoto settings, but it will still be useful on that range if you find yourself shooting in low light/low speeds with no tripod. Could be the difference between getting the shot or having a blurry shaky one.

Oh, and no - there's no adaptor to use Canon lens on a Nikon body that I've ever heard of.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Tommy, if you've got your eyes on a 400D I know for sure you won't be disappointed, it's had very good reviews from what I've seen. Definitely get rid of, or don't get, the 18-55 lens that comes with it. As cameraman said, the 18-55 IS gets a decent review, and yes the IS feature is all it's cracked up to be. Of course, it's going to come into it's own more on telephoto settings, but it will still be useful on that range if you find yourself shooting in low light/low speeds with no tripod. Could be the difference between getting the shot or having a blurry shaky one.

Oh, and no - there's no adaptor to use Canon lens on a Nikon body that I've ever heard of.

HTH

D
    Cheers Duncan, my initial thoughts, and hence the thread was to buy a 400d body and an 18-55 IS lens seperately , so this is what you would recommend ? It`s a joint crimbo for me & the missus ...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm a Nikon fan boy, so I apolagise if my statments were somewhat sweeping. However I have owned the following so I feel I have some basis for my err sweeps

Canon 300D
    Canon 350D
    Canon 20D
    Nikon D70
    Nikon D50
    and my current Nikon D200 (which is fantastic )

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    Cheers Duncan, my initial thoughts, and hence the thread was to buy a 400d body and an 18-55 IS lens seperately , so this is what you would recommend ? It`s a joint crimbo for me & the missus ...
    Well I'd say that i can't see you being disappointed. You'll see that a few guys on here have the 400D and they seem to speak highly of it - as well as a number of reviews. I can't give any personal views of the camera as I've never used that particular model.
    I'm a Nikon fan boy, so I apolagise if my statments were somewhat sweeping. However I have owned the following so I feel I have some basis for my err sweeps
    lol, fair enough - and a good selection of cameras to have based your comments on. I used to be a Nikon man myself - last ones I owned were F3s - superb camera, still got one tucked away. Nikon lost my interest when they brought out the F4 - hated the handling/controls of it - far too fiddly. Also the autofocus was waaay behind the Canon EOS at the time, the EOS wiped the floor with the Nikons in that respect, and it took Nikon an awful long time to get their autofocus up to comparable levels. By then I think a lot of people had switched to Canons (in the pro range I'm talking about).

Anyway, enough waffling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information