User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo! - I now have a turbo again!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile Woohoo! - I now have a turbo again!

Following on from this thread, the turbo arrived back from Turbo Technics today with a new wastegate disc and having had a bearing and seal service.

The wastegate and exhaust turbine how they used to be.....

After having the wastegate disc replaced and reattached. As you can see, they even polished up the outside of the turbo!

...and all the turbine/innards etc. service and cleaned with new seals and bearings.

A couple of the vanes on the intake impeller had some burring/scoring on them near the tips, the inevitable result of tiny particles hitting blades spinning at 100,000+ RPM over the time/mileage the car has done. You can see them more pronounced on the vanes at 9 and 11 o'clock.

After the service....

So, it was on to fitting it back on the car, along with all the ancillary oil and coolant lines, vacuum and boost hoses and pipes, solenoids, charge pipe, refitting the BSR downpipe and lamda/exhaust temp sensors and other bits I've probably not mentioned. I also made sure I fitted new seals and compression washers to every coolant and oil connection.

Same as when I took it off, I just worked through it all methodically in stages, double checking as I went along - didn't want to find I'd missed out a boost connection or hadn't got an oil or coolant connection connected properly!!

Had to keep coming in every now and again just to warm up as it was ferking freezing out there!! lol

Eventually it was all back together again, so the only thing I had to do was top up the coolant that had been lost when I drained it to remove the turbo coolant lines. Then it was time to fire it up!

Tentatively I started it up and made sure everything was looking and sounding okay - which it was. The rough sounding exhaust noise was gone as the wastegate would be closed and no longer allowing the gases to bypass the turbine and go through the wastegate straight into the exhaust. I let the car warm up so that I could fully bleed the coolant if need be and get the level sorted. Once done it was time for a road test.

As the car had been sat with the battery disconnected for a week, I thought I'd remap the car again, just so that it was there afresh. Set off gently but straight away I could feel the boost, and see it on the boost gauge, and the lovely noise of the turbo spooling being amplified by the exhaust was back! Did this for a while, gradually altering the way I drove to bring in more boost, just to make sure everything felt okay. There was no specific running in/bedding in required, but I wanted to just do it gradually in steps - rather than go and and give it the beans immediately. So, once I was happy that everything was running smoothly, it was indeed times to give it the beans!!

On a suitable bit of road (dual carriageway 70 limit) I pulled onto it from the roundabout and from third started to accelerate sharply, then fourth then fifth then I'd half 'forgotten' how ferking quickly this car gets to silly speeds!! Bit of a difference from Mrs Duncan's 1.2 Corsa that I've been driving at times this week!!

Carried on with some more spirited driving and was very happy with how the car felt. One thing i noticed immediately was that I was no longer getting the boost 'spike' I had been getting before i.e. I'd accelerate and the boost would quickly whip round to a peak (often 1.6 bar, even sometimes nudging 1.7!!) and then quickly drop off - obviously all to do with the wastegate issue (before it finally came off and lost all boost). What it did now was still quickly, but progressively, reach a peak boost (overboost) of 1.4 (exactly what BSR said was the maximum) and then gradually drop to just over 1 bar, but hold it there for as long as I was accelerating - which it wasn't doing before.

So, currently a very happy bunny. Got the car now back performing to how it was when I first fitted the Stage 3, got a turbo that is in tip-top condition and balanced to a higher tolerance than even a factory one and hopefully the final answer to why I'd been losing boost previously.

Also a bit chuffed with myself, even if I do say so myself! , for getting to the root of the problem and tackling getting the turbo out and back in again and saving myself a pile of labour, not to mention the cost of a new turbo if I'd just gone through Vx! Final damage was £315 for everything, and that included the extra charge (£15) for a Saturday delivery. To have had Vx supply and fit a new turbo would have been around £850!!

Even though I froze me nuts on both occasions, I actually thoroughly enjoyed doing it. It was great to get stuck into something I'd never done before and sort it all out.

Very happy with Turbo Technics - they've done a cracking job! Their reputation had always preceded them, hence why I went to them, and after being a customer I can wholeheartedly confirm that reputation is deserved. These guys care about what they do and are just superb to deal with.

So, I'll be getting the car up to Track 'n' Road soon to get it on the rollers and see what's what. I have a feeling the odd results I got at the Watford RR were down to the problems initially being present then, and then developing fully later.

First thing I'll be doing is an oil and filter change tomorrow. It only had one in July, but no harm in starting off with some fresh oil now that it's back in.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good stuff D, sounds like real fun and that turbo looks nice and shiny now. Will be ordering my Stage 3 early December so can't wait to see what all the excitements about Hope the RR figures add up when you go to T&R.
    Last edited by mark1319; 25th November 2007 at 00:55.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Top Job Duncan. Glad to see your back up and running. They did a real good job refurbing it. Top marks to them. Well now all it is is to get the results you were expecting from her on the RR.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good news D. Sounds like its all sorted. As you say, could explain the results at Red Dot, however as others have said before stuff the RR figures its how the car feels to you and how it drives on the road. If your happy then thats all that counts

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

great news matey you need to get up to your brothers so i can get a shot. Fife has some REEEEEEAAALLY good back roads

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great news mate, all in all looks like a cracking job you've done there , now we all know where to come when we need our Turbo`s refurbed .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great job Duncan

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent news.....you will be like a dog with the proverbial again!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great job D, glad it's all sorted for you now.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well done on tackling this yourself - i could imagine it would be pretty daunting to someone even if they know their way round the engine reasonably well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information