User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to VX again today. More faults!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down Back to VX again today. More faults!

My “spanner light” has now come to three time in the last fortnight and last night the windscreen washers packed-in (no they’re not frozen!), so it’s time for another visit to Crownhill VX in Milton Keynes. The engine – on three separate occasions the engine’s fired-up then shuddered and stopped. Upon restarting the spanner light is on and goes out after a minute or so. The washers make their normal noise but no water comes out. The rear washer’s fine, but I’m now having to carry a small bottle of water to pour down the windscreen every ten miles or so.

Not a good start. I’ve now had my Vectra for four months and this is the third time it’ll have been in for (different) warranty items. The new indicator stalk has made no difference, but I’ve now accepted that I’ll have to learn to live with it.

Thankfully it’s all covered by VX financially, but it’s a lot of messing about arranging alternative transport etc.

I think this’ll be my last VX, having come back to the brand after just short of twenty years. Oh for my Audi’s and Honda’s reliability – literally nothing ever went wrong with either of these cars is 93k and 88k miles respectively (only servicing of course).

I’ve done six thousand miles in my Vauxhall and am already on first name terms with the chaps at my local VX service department !!!

I’m depressed!

Doug

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Given the choice between a Signum, Audi or Honda Accord, I know where my money would go, and it wouldn't be wearing a Griffin on the front!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Me & two colleagues have an 05 Audi A4 2.0tdi, 54 BMW 530 & my 54 vec 1.9.

The vecs been fine, minor problem was a squeeky fan - cured when the car was serviced.

The Audi has been in 3 times for faulty central locking (still not 100% cured) & once for "thumping" noise from the front suspension.

The Beemer's been in so many times I lost count. Among them are - Faulty Sat Nav, squeeking rear suspension, Faulty tyre pressure sensors, Uneven tickover, error messages on the i drive. The car has been totally reprogrammed twice by bmw & still occasionally does something wierd.

You can drive any car & you may be lucky & have no problems or you may have a several problems after each other. Luck of the draw really.

Drivewise the beemer is obviously the best - in a league of it's own.

The Audi & vec are very similar in character - the Audi has a much firmer ride & the turbo spools quicker, while the vec rides rough roads better & revs more progressively.

The differences are subtle though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Doug,

The washers fault is the same as I had. Old screenwash residue will have blocked the filter on the end of the pump. It pumps like mad but can't draw any thing through... 5 minute fix mate..

As for the reliability, as Ion say's it really doesn't matter what you buy, as they make cars more complex there is more to go wrong..My Gsi is the best screwed together car that I've driven yet.. what really kills the experience is the dealers and their 'service'..try CD Bramell in hemel, they've been good to me..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2
    Doug,

what really kills the experience is the dealers and their 'service'..try CD Bramell in hemel, they've been good to me..

Couldn't agree more with you there Mark, my dealer, New Crown Sharpes are a shambles, unfortunately I'm tied to them at the mo as they are the point of contact between me and the field engineer they have had to call out to try and diagnose a fault on my car, as they had 7 attempts to rectify.
    Eventually found out that every time it went in, because they couldn't find what it was, they kept telling me it was 'normal' and fobbed me off, I had to get vx uk involved to force them to investigate, and because the sevice dept got a rollocking from vx they now treat me like a leper when I go in, so as soon as this is sorted I'm off somewhere else.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down

Whilst hearing what you say, my disappointment isn't with the dealer - who has always been willing to fix the car quickly and professionally.
    It's the car that disappoints, with it's high tech computer controlled this and that, and twenty-first century quality control.......
    Why have I had more trouble with my Vectra in the last four months than I've had in total in the last ten years running a variety of cars - including a Citroen and a Peugeot!!!
    The perceived quality's there in spades in the VX, with nicely closing doors, good quality trim, fantastic paint finish, etc.......but why's it always going wrong?
    Still depressed!
    Doug

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it's a re-occurring fault Doug, get them to do a 'final' fix. IE demand that the failed unit/system is replaced and not repaired..Or get on to vx customer services if you get no joy.. I know crownhill and I can't beleive they can't fix it if they really try..

It's bad service like this that lets you down. My brother had a fault(misfire) and we took the car to motorbodies in luton, who fixed and valeted the car that day, even though they didn't know it was coming..Thats service.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, it’s gone in this morning to sort out the problem of the spanner light keeping coming on. The technician I spoke to told me that every time the spanner light comes on a fault code is registered deep within the computer memory of the car. Apparently it even lists the time and date of the occurrence and tells him which faulty component to change. This is quite an advance on the system, years ago, when these technicians just kept changing parts on a ‘best guess’ principle, eventually sorting out the problem (hopefully) – after you’ve paid for a load of unnecessary bits and pieces.
    As usual, treated with utmost courtesy at Crownhill, Milton Keynes, who certainly talk like they know what they’re doing. Feel totally bereft being without the car, having to WALK! the short distance to work!!!

This walking malarkey …..it’ll never catch on!
    Doug

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hope you get yours sorted and you get some confidence back in the car!

At least you are getting a spanner showing......it gets difficult when you have a problem but no spanner showing!.......hence no fault codes..........no computer diognostic possible so you get told - 'no problem sir'

yet you still have a problem!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lborob17
    hope you get yours sorted and you get some confidence back in the car!

At least you are getting a spanner showing......it gets difficult when you have a problem but no spanner showing!.......hence no fault codes..........no computer diognostic possible so you get told - 'no problem sir'

yet you still have a problem!
    I agree with you there rob, it seems that mechanics are starting to rely on the fault codes they get from your car, i.e if theres no code then they assume there is nothing wrong, whereas an old time served grease monkey would probably be able to tell what it is from the noise it makes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information