User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoons Gadget #395749.9

spoons

Default Spoons Gadget #395749.9

Right.... time for another gadget !!!

Whilst browsing the exhibition stands at Clarksons MPH on Friday last week, I came across this little gadget from CG Lock

Now, I dont normally get that interested in little stands at exhibitions, but this one got me.... and this is the reason....

Years ago I used to own a car with bucket seats and four point rally harnesses. If you've ever been strapped in a car with rally harnesses you will know how secure you feel, compared to a normal seat belt.

The problem with rally harnesses, is they look 'chav' and its difficult to fit them with the rear seats still in place.

What CG Lock have done, is invent a little gadget that turns your existing seatbelts (drivers and passengers) into a 2 point rally harness which effectively allows you to lock your normal seatbelt into place gripping you into your seat. The technology has come from the aerospace sector for pilots harnesses (not that I intent to do a 4G negative dive in my car... but it could happen )

I fitted them onto the VXRD before the Christmas bash last weekend and gave a demo to some members. I really quite like it and they were relatively easy to fit as well. It can also be used to secure baby seats that use the seatbelt into the back as well..

Although it is a perminent fixture in the car... it can be disassembled and leave no trace that it was in the car. Just two allen key screws clamp it to your existing seatbelt buckle.... You can pay extra and get an 'instructors' model, which is fully transferable from vehicle to vehicle at a moments notice...

It will definately get used all the time.

Very good
    Last edited by spoons; 12th November 2007 at 13:44.

spoons

@ Evo's

Just read this customer testimonial on their website...

All I can say is I wish I had thought of it! It stops you having to brace yourself when cornering at speed and means you can concentrate on the track and any hazard that may appear (spinning EVO's). I recommend anyone planning to do any track work with only standard seat belts installed should get one.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So basically it keeps the lap belt part of the seat belt taught? - dependent on how you've set the device.

How does it work in conjunction with seat belt pre-tensioners then? If you've set the device to make the lap belt part quite tight, and you have a crash that activates the seatbelt pre-tensioners, isn't it going to pull the lap belt part somewhat tight on you? - given that it's been tightened already by the device.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I am not sure that I like the idea of fitting attachments to the standard seat belts, one for the reason stated by Duncan (ie being cut in half by the tensioner !) and 2 the seatbelt will no longer behave as designed.

I would much prefer a full harness installation, even if they look chavy. IMO not too much of a problem for track work, as you prob wouldn't want it for everyday use anyway.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.0l CDTi Bi-Turbo Insginia Sports Tourer

Trim : Vx Line Nav Sri

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2014

Yep, i can vouch for the gadget. I had a sit in spoons' car with the belt on and it felt really secure, should do the job well.
    When the price comes down, i may get one

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    How does it work in conjunction with seat belt pre-tensioners then? If you've set the device to make the lap belt part quite tight, and you have a crash that activates the seatbelt pre-tensioners, isn't it going to pull the lap belt part somewhat tight on you? - given that it's been tightened already by the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I am not sure that I like the idea of fitting attachments to the standard seat belts, one for the reason stated by Duncan (ie being cut in half by the tensioner !) and 2 the seatbelt will no longer behave as designed.
    Yeah, the pretensioners just cut you inhalf Ste.... then whats left of the belt wraps around your neck before impact... slight downside, but hey...

RTFM

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/cg-lock/safety-information/

Its been extensively tested already... all the magazines are raving about them

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/reviews/

If its installed and you dont want to 'activate' it... you simply remove the slider clip (dead easy) and it allows the belt to operate normally (for use when its fitted to the passenger seat for example).. The main body of the device remains in place but doesnt function without the slider bar...
    Last edited by spoons; 12th November 2007 at 14:12.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah been looking at these before, but never bought them. Sounds like a good piece of kit, but thos are good points about the pre-tensioners, could have edverse effects.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

These are a good bit of kit.. I got some of these after a mate recommended them to me, Just had a look at the email He sent me and he there is a discount code of BMMC2007 which saved me £20 when i got mine.. I paid £70 for 2 delivered.. Code may still be working, worth a try if anyones thinking of buying...

Edit:- These are fitted to the Shogun warrior for when we take it green laning or upto Devils pit / Bures 4x4 courses...
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 12th November 2007 at 14:30.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

don't think this is anything new. Had something similar on a 1987 mazda 323

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    If its installed and you dont want to 'activate' it... you simply remove the slider clip (dead easy) and it allows the belt to operate normally (for use when its fitted to the passenger seat for example).. The main body of the device remains in place but doesnt function without the slider bar...
    Yep, I understood that - but if you're in a situation (on a track for example) where you've got the device 'activated' and the lap belt part nice and taught, if you suddenly, say, find yourself leaving the track and heading for a crash barrier etc. that you hadn't intended to, the last thing you'll be thinking is "Oh, I must release the seat belt gizmo in case the pre-tensioners kick in"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information