User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Would you refit the CRD2 box if it was you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, leave it off the car, dont take the chance

8 44.44%
  • Yes, refit at the setting it was on before, it had nothing to do with the problem

5 27.78%
  • Yes, refit, but turn down to the lowest setting, keep an eye on it, turn back up over time if needed

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I refit my CRD2 or not? : Warranty nearly up

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Should I refit my CRD2 or not? : Warranty nearly up

Hi folks.

I've had a CRD2 for nearly a year now.

First 8-10 months I had no problems at all, power increase was superb and it was a very different car to drive.

However a couple of months ago, I had issues with at first, the spanner light and the car going into limp mode and then the exhaust emissions light and limp mode.

I removed the CRD2 and after leaving the battery disconnected, the spanner light vanished. Thinking it "might" have had something to do with the box, I left it off but then a few weeks later, the spanner light started coming back on almost every day at some point. Then it got worse and the exhaust emissions light started coming on again, almost every time you started it. And this was with the box off!!!.

Car went into dealers and had a pressure sensor ( for the turbo I think ) fitted under warranty. That cured it for about a week and then the same thing started happening again. Car went back in and they fitted a completely new engine management ECU. Thats been nearly 4 weeks and so far, so good, the box has still been off since I first removed it, sat in a cupboard.

Now, the Vaux warranty finishes at the begining of December.

I'm tempted to refit the CRD2 now that the car has got a new ECU on it and I'm guessing there was some fault with that, but I'm worried the CRD2 had something to do with the problems as when I first got the car I ran it for months without a CRD2 and had no such problems.

I miss the extra *oommphh* that the box gives and the head bod at DTUK claims that there is no way at all that the CRD2 could have anything to do with the problem.

So what would you do and what are your reasons for doing so?. Refit it and run it for a few weeks and see what happens or not take the chance at all??!!!.
    Last edited by RSV_Ecosse; 2nd November 2007 at 12:20.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

If you did put it back on now and the car "went wrong" at least the warrenty would put it right rather than your own pocket.
    But if the "bod" at DTUK says it can not be the box then by refitting it, it may show the original faults again, or if the " problem" parts were replaced by VX before you might be ok with it now. Still the warrenty should cover it if it does play up again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A big fat NO...

i'd not chance it.. if the ECU or any other electrical component fails again in such a short time VX may smell a rat...I'd not chance it at all...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got rid of my CRD2 because I didn't want to chance any long term issues. At the end of the day it is pushing the engine closer to it's limits.

If you refit it & it goes t1t5 up after the warranty is out, you'd be kicking yourself.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fit the CDR2 and extent the warranty via Network Q

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tricky one! The box 'may' not have had anything directly to do with your problems - as in actually causing them - they may have been lingering there and the box has simply caused the problems to show themselves more obviously.

Then again, the way a box works - simply fooling the ECU into throwing more fuel in - is not a method that works in harmony with the ECU and other components i.e. they don't know that this extra fuel is being chucked in so they can't work in conjunction with the extra fuelling - only something a remap can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSV_Ecosse View Post
    However a couple of months ago, I had issues with at first, the spanner light and the car going into limp mode and then the exhaust emissions light and limp mode.
    That does sound like a 'classic' problem that some people have had with boxes.
    I removed the CRD2 and after leaving the battery disconnected, the spanner light vanished. Thinking it "might" have had something to do with the box, I left it off but then a few weeks later, the spanner light started coming back on almost every day at some point. Then it got worse and the exhaust emissions light started coming on again, almost every time you started it. And this was with the box off!!!.
    Given that the spanner light disappeared as soon as the box was off does suggest that the box may have been the problem. Bit of a coincidence that the spanner light went off as soon as it was removed. The spanner light coming back on weeks later could be down to some components having been 'damaged' and then eventually failing/giving errors.
    I miss the extra *oommphh* that the box gives and the head bod at DTUK claims that there is no way at all that the CRD2 could have anything to do with the problem.
    I can't see how he can categorically state that when he has no idea what's caused the problems with your engine - it may or may not be due to the box, but it is looking suspiciously like it may have had a part.

The fact that your new ECU has had you running for four weeks with no problems is indicating that it was likely that the ECU was ultimately the problem - but what caused your ECU to go dicky? Something in the box? The box is piggybacked into a loom that is connected to the ECU, so has the box caused a spike, or something, to cause a problem in the ECU? Something to bear in mind.

It's a tricky one. Do you stick it back on now to see if the car develops a problem again - in which case you can probably certainly say it's the box - but it may take a while, like it did originally, for any problem to manifest, by which time you're out of warranty. You may be 'lucky' and it happens before the warranty runs out, but as Mark said Vx may get a bit suspicious and start looking closer. They can tell that an engine has had a box on it apparently if they look deeper.

Or do you leave it off for a bit longer and see if the car runs fine up until the warranty runs out, leaving you in the situation again where if you stick it back on again and it causes a problem then you're out of warranty!

Or do you risk it, stick it on and everything runs fine for as long as you have the car?

Decisions! If it was me, given all what you've said above, I'd be inclined to leave it off and start laying aside some pennies for a remap as they work in harmony with the ECU, and not 'against' it by simply fooling it into overfuelling.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm doing a long term test on my car with a box fitted, so far it's been on for 12 months & 30,000 miles with no issues at all apart from the first box that died after 2 days, I've used a CR1, caterman, CRd2 & a Spider. The only times it has been off was when I called out the AA when I ran out of fuel (I can blame the box for that as the trip said 8 miles remaining but the fuel light had been flashing for 35 miles ) & when it went in for its 20K service .

Why have I had 4 boxes in 12 months, market research, how do you know you have the best unless you've tried a few. They have all been bought off members of this site & ultimately cost next to nothing to try out. Estate/Signum owners may struggle with DPF issues but the rest of us should be ok.

At the end of the day though it's not my car & it'll be gone before the warranty runs out. If it were mine I'd be having a proper re-map maybe the BSR box, but not when the car isn't mine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it were me, and I was worried about the potential cost. I would not do it.
    A bit off subject, but my car runs out of its 3 yera warrenty on 1st Jan 2008, Steven, do you know where 2 get details of the network Q warrenty?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you need more power, and given you have had problems which may or may not be related to the box, I'd sell the box and get a remap to be on the safe side.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bailes1992 View Post
    AFAIK A lot have companies have pulled out of remapping the V6CDTI's because of engine failiure.
    I'm not sure if this is only with Euro4 184PS facelift 3.0's????
    The guys on here that have had Euro3 177PS's remapped have not had any problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information