StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wiring in a Amp

Has anyone done this?

If so where can I find a suitable hole through the bulkhead to do the same?

I have found a large "grommet" with the cabling for the dash but am reluctant to cut through that was hoping for an alternative....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give trel a pm hes got a amp in his boot

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

run the power cables down the side of your sills (inside under carpet), out of carpet @ back door and pass it through the bottom of back seat ..Can't see any of my wiring unless you take out the boot liner..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the gromet is big enough then put it through... just be carefull.
    Otherwise, it requires a spare sapce in the bulkhead, a drill, some silicon sealer and a fairy liquid bottle
    I personnally wouldn't like to drill the bulkhead of a car that is that new to be honest.
    So try and find a gromet somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already done this one. That grommet you found behind the glove box. Used a penknife and poked it through. gives a slit just right for running the cable through. Nothing behind it so your ok then pull through from engine bay, should be able to grab hold behind where the battery sits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big list.........Sorry

If the power lead runs down the passenger side of the car, should the RCA leads run down the drivers side ??

If I mount the amp in the boot where is the best place to get an earth connection ??

Do the cables run in the space that is left when you pull up the rubber seal between the carpet and the outside of the door ??

To run the rear speakers only off an amp, is it just a case of taking off the door cards, disonnecting the current connection to the HU and running new wire from the amp to the speakers ??

How does one get the door cards off to get to the speaker connections, and is it easy to get new speaker wire to the speakers ??

Is it okay to run the rear speakers and a sub off a 4 channel amp leaving the front speakers on the HU ??

Is the RCA connection the only connection I need to the HU ??

Sorry for all the questions, am getting a Pioneer DEH70BT for Xmas, and have got a Pioneer GM-X374 400 WATT 4 Channel amp on the way as well, just wondering how easy it is to do the amp myself. The HU won't be a problem and I want to plug the RCA's in whilst I have the HU out.

Cheers

Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian
    Big list.........Sorry

If the power lead runs down the passenger side of the car, should the RCA leads run down the drivers side ??

If I mount the amp in the boot where is the best place to get an earth connection ??

Do the cables run in the space that is left when you pull up the rubber seal between the carpet and the outside of the door ??

To run the rear speakers only off an amp, is it just a case of taking off the door cards, disonnecting the current connection to the HU and running new wire from the amp to the speakers ??

How does one get the door cards off to get to the speaker connections, and is it easy to get new speaker wire to the speakers ??

Is it okay to run the rear speakers and a sub off a 4 channel amp leaving the front speakers on the HU ??

Is the RCA connection the only connection I need to the HU ??

Sorry for all the questions, am getting a Pioneer DEH70BT for Xmas, and have got a Pioneer GM-X374 400 WATT 4 Channel amp on the way as well, just wondering how easy it is to do the amp myself. The HU won't be a problem and I want to plug the RCA's in whilst I have the HU out.

Cheers

Damian
    hi mate i have sony amp running my 6/9s i have the wires running down the driver side of the car tucked in behind the plastic trim as for an earth i have it connected to one of the bolts that hold the rear seats i have active sub with the wires running under the same plastic trim at the bottom of the door all out of sight. i have my front speakers running of the head unit all works fine.

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi Damian, I didn't fit mine i got an "ICE" tech to do it, but if this helps,good.
    He ran power cable down drivers side and RCA down pass side.
    He fitted my amp on the back of the rear seats in the boot, he put it their so i can still use the sections to recline for extra boot space for loads.
    The eath for the amp was put under the Flap directly below the rear of the back seats in the boot.All he did was to drill a small hole their on the chassis.I didn't see him wire up the speakers or take the door cards off, sorry.
    One thing though ,if you are upgrading ALL, How about Pioneer tweeters and the ipod adapter (cb-100) and the nano ipod (10000 songs and not a cd in sight...)
    have a look.
    http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=2718
    All i had to do in the end was to refit the head unit as the first guys i took it too made a right mess with the cambus, but they did a good job with the rest...at last..
    Hope it helps...
    micky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armoured farmer
    Hi Damian, I didn't fit mine i got an "ICE" tech to do it, but if this helps,good.
    He ran power cable down drivers side and RCA down pass side.

One thing though ,if you are upgrading ALL, How about Pioneer tweeters and the ipod adapter (cb-100) and the nano ipod (10000 songs and not a cd in sight...)
    have a look.
    http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=2718
    All i had to do in the end was to refit the head unit as the first guys i took it too made a right mess with the cambus, but they did a good job with the rest...at last..
    Hope it helps...
    micky.
    Do you know how they got into the engine bay ??

Pioneer tweeter, never thought of that, are they in the rear doors as well. Would these just be a straight swap out of the VX ones ??

As for the ipod, I don't have one or need one. I spend hours in the car where I listen to music all the time but rarely listen to it when outside the house or the car. You can get a good 150 or so tracks on a cd just about does me on a long journey

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damian,

I've fitted a few amps in my time (although not to a vec c).

It is best to have the RCA cable as far as possible from the main power cables to prevent interferance - so one down one side the other down the other

on most cars, pull out the trim at the side of the carpet and run the cables between the carpet and the trim. Its best not to disturb the door seals as they hardly ever fit back perfectly.

youve got the right idea for a 4 channel amp for speaker config, except i would run the fronts off the amp and use the rears as fill in speakers. Some of the best quality sounding ICE cars only have speakers in the front. If the rears are too loud, the stereo staging goes all to pot. as you say, diconnect the relevant speaker behind the HU and run fresh quality wire from the amp to the speakers. getting the wire into the doors is ticcky, as most modern cars have big connectors that plug into the door (haven't checked the vec) - try and cut into the existing wires for this connector - its makes a much neater job.

apart from the RCA connectors, the amp will also need a switch wire (v low current) that goes from the HU to the amp (single wire). This wire carries a current from the HU to the amp - when the HU is on a current is in the wire and the amp turns on, HU off wire is dead - amp is off. you can run this wire with the RCA wires as the v.low current does't interfere with the signal in the RCAs.

hope this helps and enjoy - fitting is almost as much fun as listening.

oh maybe being patronising here, so sorry if so, but mount the amp onto some mdf and then mount the mdf onto the car - stops the amp grounding out and producing interferance.
    Last edited by Ian; 20th December 2005 at 22:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information