Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Eurpoean Coverage, Spain/France

Hi all,

Advice needed please, I am looking at driving to Gibralter next month, (3,000 mile journey), now has anybody used an Opel/Vauxhall dealer in Spain?

1: Opel Dealers in Spain, (If needed) Would they have parts if needed?

2: European breakdown cover, anyone experience of this and used a reputable one? I am currently being quoted £107 from Direct Line

3: I will be taking the standard parts (Bulbs etc, What I do with the Xenon front bulb I have no idea ), any other spare parts I should consider taking?

Anyone done this, had problems, etc. all advice greatly appreciated.

Oh and if the trip goes well, it will be a monthly event Plenty of beers for when I return...

Thanks all

Steve

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaVan View Post
    Hi all,

Advice needed please, I am looking at driving to Gibralter next month, (3,000 mile journey), now has anybody used an Opel/Vauxhall dealer in Spain?

1: Opel Dealers in Spain, (If needed) Would they have parts if needed?

2: European breakdown cover, anyone experience of this and used a reputable one? I am currently being quoted £107 from Direct Line

3: I will be taking the standard parts (Bulbs etc, What I do with the Xenon front bulb I have no idea ), any other spare parts I should consider taking?

Anyone done this, had problems, etc. all advice greatly appreciated.

Oh and if the trip goes well, it will be a monthly event Plenty of beers for when I return...

Thanks all

Steve

Hiya,

First of all - good luck with your trip - I will be making a similar journey at Xmas (though to Marbella not Gibraltar).

With regards to parts/dealerships (and breakdown recovery for that matter) I guess that you will never know for sure until you actually need them (hopefully this will not be the case).

What I can say is that the Seat dealerships in Spain seem to be spot on (I own a Seat that I leave in Spain), so if thats an indication of the garages I will say you should have no problems.

Apart from the bulbs, for the Spain part of the journey you should also have 2 warning triangles, 2 refelective 'high visibility' bibs/jackets and, if you wear glasses, you should also carry a spare set with you when driving.

Sorry I cant be of much more help - by the way, which route are you taking? We are doing Channel Tunnel, then through France and down the heart of Spain - plannign to have 2 overnight stops.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

I've used mitsibushi dealers in spain, and they done the work under warranty for me the next day, after they made a few phonecalls to check the warranty status of my shogun, (which was 6months old at the time) It had a faulty battery, also had warranty work done in spain on a ford ranger xlt double cab that i had when the aircon packed up, again all done on warranty no problems at all and both UK motors.. I've not had any experience with European breakdown cover but we always get cover with either RAC or the AA when we drive to the villa, And thinking about it most of the opel dealers ive seen in spain have been real nice looking modern places, so hopefully they are as good as they look..!

We always do eurotunnel as well, then down towards rouen avoiding Paris at all costs then straight down to the Pyrenees and into Spain.. We normally do it in one go, but this year we stopped off at an F1 motel at cahors and we all agreed we'd not do it again and we'd continue to do it in one go in the future as normal, 5 adults with 2 drivers in 2 cars, But i guess you wont be going down France as far as we do if your going to Gibraltar or Marbella and your going across Spain..

Hope both your journeys go well and neither of you need breakdown or garages though..!!

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A monthly event!!!

I havent used Car repair agents abroad, but commercial one's are pretty damn good, and i would expect Car garages to be a lot more readily available than Commercial one's, so i cant see you having a problem.

Are you planning on using The Train, why not look into one of the Portsmouth Routes across the Channel, it gives you the chance to relax, also it shortens the journey a fair bit too(Think by 150 miles or so).

Have you been to Gibralter before, how long have you given yourself to get there??

I would allocate 3 relaxed days driving to get there, can be done in 2, but then you're talking 750miles a day which although it doesnt sound that much, its a long time sat in a seat!

Thread Information