Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Servicing Scam

Do you think when you buy a car s/h they just stamp the book and allow you to take the car unserviced?

My Skudda has used 1 litre of oil in 9k since it was supposedly serviced at delivery time, I had the same thing with the vec, looking at the filters they look old, very old tbh, old oil will be thin oil and will go past the rings and this is why I'm questioning if it had a change or if it did did they use the right oil or some cheap stuff?

Once I'd serviced the Vectra, she never used a drop between services again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I always wonder what is actually done, even when you pay for it.

In honesty I have about zero confidence in other people doing their job properly. That is quite a statement, but has been formed over many years dealing with the car industry and getting things done by garages and dealers.

Another reason why I self service. I know what has been done, with what parts and know it has been done properly. And yes, I am very probably far better qualified than the dealer staff.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i'm sure a lot of place's do. I bought a Fiat stilo a few years ago and they said they had serviced it when i picked it. 2 weeks later the service light came on so i went back. When i went in with the book and opended it up at the desk the thing was not stamperd either. Of course they said they had done the work. They just reset the service light and stamped the book in front of me. I never went back to them again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I brought my Signum, I made quite a big thing of pulling the dipstick out while I was going over the car with the salesman, then negotiated a service in the price.
    When I picked it up I checked the oil again, before I signed for the car, and the salesman grinned and said, "I knew you'd do that". The oil was nice and clean, though, so they'd changed it.

Phil

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

14 years ago i worked at a Garage as a Mechanic in Leightin Buzzard, and there was a Car Sales next door..
    When ever he sold a car he would tell them he'd service it, He'd find out what time they were coming to collect it, then 15 minutes before they'd arrive he'd give me a tenner to wipe the filter over with a WD40 soaked rag and pour clean oil down the dipstick tube!

Being a 16year old apprentice on £29.50 a week, do 4 or 5 of these a week, it topped your wages up nicely!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan View Post
    14 years ago i

Being a 16year old apprentice on £29.50 a week, do 4 or 5 of these a week, it topped your wages up nicely!
    Jeez mate, you must have worked for the same ppl who I left school to be taken advantage of, £20.50p after tax, but mine was in 1980 not 1993 I got the tin tack 11 months later and got a £4.50 pay rise from the benefit ppl, next came £35pw valeting Datsun's and even that was poor wages, you can imagine how I felt when I went S/E for the 1st time as a subby for a valeting company and earned £110 the 1st week I was there, sometimes this was as much as £160pw depending on how busy the garage was, like a muppet I went back to reg employ cos I wanted holiday pay etc for £65, and to this day I do not know why I did it, took me down a path I'd never have chosen had I stayed where I was, all down to money and g/f pressure I ended up going from owning two cars to driving an un mot'd Cortina which I liberated 3 weeks tax for from a PX which resulted in me getting sacked luckily, I say luckily because if the law had caught me instead of one of the staff I'd have been really in the muck.

There's a lesson here btw, pay ppl poorly and you force them into taking risks to survive, pay them properly and you should see the best of them both in honesty and productivity, as BigMan has shown, the extra £50pw to top up his abysmal wages led him to effectively become an accessory to theft, because thats what it is when ppl pay for something they don't get.

I kinda hope when we die, there is a book of reckoning and those that could've paid ppl properly who did not are held accountable for it.

4x I worked for firms like this, had the 1st job paid properly and I'd not lost interest in it I would own at least one spray shop by now and not have to drive drunks around.

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was lucky, £29.50 a week was mine, the YTS paid my tax on top of that!

But what you say is right, of people were plaid properly to start with, then who know's what course life would take... I for one wouldnt be a truck driver thats fo sure if i had been paid properly as a trainee, i went from £29.50 a week to £175 a week 7.5t Driver!! Happy Ol' days!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When i bought the Astra before the Vec, they told me it had been fully serviced and checked before i picked it up. Obviously it hadn't as the brakes were knackered and the nadbrake had to be clicked at least 20 times before it would work!! Car was cursed i reckon..........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi years ago i always had a full service untill i found out that most if not all of the servicable part wasn't done.
    so i always do my own service
    i know my book isn't stamped but at least the car will not break down because failing servicable parts
    you have to way up the pros and cons and make your own choices

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I always changed the basics myself...oil/filters/plugs, and never had to top up oil between services, even though the engine was 14 years old. Always used Magnatec oil ( go on, tell me its crap, shatter my illusions ), always let every drop of oil drain out, not like garages in a hurry plug it while its dripping, always a new filter always a new washer. In 10 years only ever had 1 oil filter stuck.just realised thats me jinxed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information