Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Buying repaired write off's

What are the problems/difficulties/pitfalls of buying a cat-d repaired car. I've found the following (not gonna tel folk where) and wondered if this seems ok? Obviously without doing a full engineers report its gonna be difficult to tell but any advice/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the add:

2005 VAUXHALL Vectra 1.9SRi CDTi, 2005, 18,000 miles Manual Silver

55 reg. 18000 Miles, FSH, 6 months Tax, usual extras, Metallic Grey, CD player, e/w, PAS, aircon etc, cat-D, very good condition. £6,500. o.n.o.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

"can" be hard to sell on, all depends on what was wrong with it. IF I can find pics showing the damage then I wouldn't mind buying one.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No problems at all really. Get the car fixed up. Then you need to get it checked for road worthiness at an Approved MOT station that can do this check. They sign that all work is good and you have a certificate to say so. It's then removed from the Cat D list and your good to go.
    But it still stays on some list to say it's previously been a Cat D but been repaired OK.
    No problems but I'd keep such car's until they were dead to the world and then scrap it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi mate my vec was a cat d, i have full repiared the car and she drives lovely. phoned dvla to she if it needed a special mot and they said NO just take to a normal mot station. does i come with a log boot? if not its £25 for a new 1. is it front or rear damage

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate, I had a bad experience with my last car. It was a mondeo v6 but had been a writeoff, the garage I bought it did not disclose it and I only found out 7 years later when I had traded the car in (because of the list the other chap mentioned). I had lots of leaks and all with that car, probs due to panels not fitting correctly after the repair.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Technically it needs no test but I think you would have a hard time insuring it unless it had been MOTed post repair or done by a garage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for te advice guys, I'm not sure what the thing was written off for, however I hope it wasn't flooded out!!! Are there computers and stuff under the carpets of these cars? What would the other problems with a flooded car could there be?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd ask to see invoices for the work and parts used to repair the car. If it's flood damage you risk electrical gremlins. And god knows what silt does to a car when it's in the random voids there are.

In general the newer the car the more damage it sustained to be written off. So it must have been a reasonable amount of damage to write that off....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    No problems at all really. Get the car fixed up. Then you need to get it checked for road worthiness at an Approved MOT station that can do this check. They sign that all work is good and you have a certificate to say so. It's then removed from the Cat D list and your good to go.
    But it still stays on some list to say it's previously been a Cat D but been repaired OK.
    Absolute tosh mate.

Like previously stated i`m a motor engineer for a large insurance company and inspect/write cars off everyday.
    Let me educate you on the categories and whats involved when buying salvage.
    There are 4 categories when writing cars off A,B,C,and D.

Cat "D".... these cars can be written off for minor damage like stolen recovered, small panel damage or simply because the car repair costs equal 60% of the market value, taking into account the salvage percentage return the insurance company get.
    Yes these cars need repairing and a new MOT certificate unless the car is less than 3 years old of which doesn't need an MOT.

Cat "C".... these cars are written off for structural damage or when repair costs exceed market value, they can go back on the road but must first have a V.I.C check and logbook application which i think costs £39.00, the V.I.C check qualifies on ALL cat "C" salvage whether the car is 1 year old or 10 years old.

Cat "B".... these cars can be bought off the insurance company by the policy holder or the salvage agent but can ONLY be broken for spares, theY CANNOT go back on the road but may be used for trackdays.

Cat "A".... these cars are to be destroyed and examples are cars where people have been killed in them, flooded with contaminated water or burnt out.

All of the above are a brief example and if you would like to know more please pm me.

Also all the above written off categories ARE recorded on the HPI register and CANNOT be removed PERIOD.....they will always be/stay recorded regardless.

Now my personal view is buy a salvage car if you like but always try and buy cat "D"`s so they will sell on easier.....also what you need to bear in mind is if that car has been subject to an insurance total loss it will ONLY ever be worth bottom book/bottom market value and all written off vehicles are recorded on the insurance database so they will all snow.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Munter View Post
    In general the newer the car the more damage it sustained to be written off. So it must have been a reasonable amount of damage to write that off....
    Not necessarily....i write off £15000-£30000 cars with a 60 % of there value, also if the cars less than a year old the policy holder qualifies for a new for old on the policy as long as they`re the 1st registered keeper.

Not a lot of people know this about new for old as the insurance company wont tell you... but you do.

Perhaps you should all have a good read of your policy document and read it carefully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information