Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S100 View Post
    Unless the engine had just had an oil change the oil would have been hot before it cooled down so surely those bits of 'stuck' oil would've drained into the sump while it was still hot.
    I was thinking that after I wrote it! In that case maybe it's just a case that if the oil is cold (thick) then you're not going to get an accurate reading as it's not as it's correct viscosity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi my 30cdti uses about 3/4 of a litre every 5000 miles or so with any turbo diesel that is deamed exceptable but depends on drive style etc i do notice my vecy does smoke a bit when u boot it but then most turbo diesels do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

My 2.0DTI used oil like it was free and VX still said it was within normal limits? The 1.9CDTIs I've had now don't use any noticable amount of oil, I could easily go a year without adding oil if I filled it to the max mark. VX garages always over fill the oil which often makes it look like the dip stick is useless when infact it is telling you to drop some oil!

Correct procedure for checking the oil level is:

1) run engine to operating temperature (85 deg for the 1.9CDTI)
    2) turn off engine and leave to stand on LEVEL ground for five minutes
    3) remove dip stick and wipe clean
    4) insert and turn through 360 deg then remove and wipe clean again
    5) insert dip stick and leave for ten seconds, turn through 360 deg then remove and take a reading

The level should be BETWEEN the max and min marks (the flat hatched area). If it is on the max it's okay but not idea and if it's over then you should drop some oil out. Obviously, if it's below then you should add some oil.

Most people use 5-30 which is what VX favour but I prefer the more expensive 0-40, doesn't leak so much through the turbo bearings when hot and lubricates better when cold.

I think the 1.9CDTI has a capacity of around 4.3ltrs from experiance filling it. Asked VX once what the capacity was and they said ?!? 'We just fill it until it reaches the dip stick' It reaches the dip stick as soon as he picks up the oil in my opinion. They usually just pour and check, pour and check. This means that they stop pouring when it reaches the max mark, unfortunatly they don't get the oil hot (reduces viscosity obviously) and they don't leave time for it to all drain down. So they always end up overfilling.
    Last edited by nutron; 13th October 2007 at 19:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by john_k_sri View Post
    I believe the manual gives a figure for oil consumption which may be regarded as 'not excessive', or 'reasonable'. It may be a researched figure or it may just be arbitrary. You seem to imply that there is something wrong if less than that amount of oil is not consumed within the mileage parameter stated. If it's more you may well have cause for concern. Otherwise just regard it as another expense spared. Simple as.
    You know you're right why should i be complaining - touch would all is well - oil consumption is ok. Like i stated earlier, the oil was changed nearly 10000 miles ago but it is still above the maximum limit. Not complaining, just hope there is no underlying issues.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

uh-oh....above the maximim limit is just as bad as below it...it can lead to crank windage and over pressurisation.. then the oilseals start to 'pop'....

when filling with oil, always , always slightly underfill to the max line, never above..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Mines fine and it doesn't use any oil. Why would a turbo use any unless its on its way out?

I always thought a turbo was supposed to use oil as its lubricating the turbo's bearings that are very hot.. When i had my sierra cosworths i was almost using 1 ltr of mobil 1 every 1000 to 1500 miles, i was told by everyone including ford SVE rallye guys at boreham test track to expect this as it was normal because turbos can get white hot..
    the mitsi evo i had was the same as well..

Unless its not so noticable on the veccy's..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they don't use as much oil Pete... better sealing these days..

if the 1.9 CDti leaked oil like that into the charge air the car stands a chance to actually start running on the oil..in fact i've known a failed turbo bearing seal allow a diesel engine to become a runaway as the engine ran up and past the govenor and ran to destruction..

the petrols wouldn't be affected like that, but they would emit a blueish tinge to the exhaust..

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1 litre every 1000/1500 miles!!

The oil, as you say, is used to lubricate the turbo bearings - hence why frequent oil changes in a turbo car are good practice - but unless there's something not right with the turbo, there's no reason why it should use up any oil - especially that amount. Maybe the oil was being used/lost elsewhere than the turbo in your cars - or maybe the design was different back then. On the 2.0T, as a couple of us mentioned earlier, it doesn't use any oil - never had to top mine up between oil changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

I've had 2 cosworths from new and both were the same, my best mate garry's was the same, it was ok though as we got an oil change every 6000 miles.... Lol.. I thought it was down to the remap and running over 400bhp, but the ford rallye guys when they used boreham (8miles from where i live) said it was ok and normal, even turbosytems said the same when i see them at an RS show.. I think it was down to the heat the turbos got, we'd regulary pull over after a "run out" and see the turbos glowing white'ish.. thats why it said in the manual that they recommended you didnt just switch the ignition off after driving it and you let the car tick over for a couple of minutes to keep the turbo in good condition, which we always done and had no problems from them at all.. Brilliant cars..

EDIT: Just done a bit of looking on the net and the oil usage on the cossie may have been down to the exhaust mainfold.. You learn something new everyday...!
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 14th October 2007 at 12:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is true most turbos use oil as the do get hot and require a lot of lubrication so it will burn a small amount i have had non turbo cars and they have not used any oil between services . also it does depent on your drive style as any one with a vecy should know if you have the oil viscosity reader on the dash the harder u drive the car the lower the oil life expectancy so u could reduce the oil change period to between services and not just at service intervals

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information