Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Black Cab metering Q

I use a black cab when i arrive back into manchester.
    Thing is the fare is always different.
    between 23 quid and 38 quid for the same route home.
    I know there is a small fee for waiting but it seams a hell of a differnce and i am never waiting on route that long at all.
    I have noticed on the meter that sometimes it has a 1 next to the charge and sometimes a 2. Is this something to do with baggage or amount of people onboard or what?
    Like i say the route is always the same and always about 10pm at night and normaly about a 35/40 min run.
    Any info would be helpfull to point out to the driver when i'm being ripped off.
    Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

next door neighbour is a taxis driver and i know he has 2 tariffs no1 is normal hours at a set rate then at unsociable hours it is tariff 2 which is a higher charge think times vary but is set at 10pm to 7am for tariff 2 in our area
    so i presume it depends if you get in the taxis before 10 or after 10 which tariff you get charged

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Get receipt's Shan, take the cab number and also the drivers badge number and the council that has issued his licence, don't bother challenging him to hard on it, get the ticket and numbers, ask him to date and time and sign it for you, and if you can be sneaky use the phone to take a picture of the meter indicating the rate it's on, and remember where you got the cab from, if it was on a rank it's probably captured you getting in on cctv.

The meter side of it there are 4 tariffs

1 - Daytime
    2 - Night Time (this depends on the council what time it comes on) varies
    3 - Easter & Bank Hols x1.5
    4 - Xmas Day x2

We use the progressive system here, this rates automatically, £2 - £2.50 - £3 - £3.75 and works off a calender.

If say you got in a cab that charges night rate at fare and a half after 22.00 hours you would get charged 50% more than if you had hailed it at 21.55 hours.

There could also be that one is charging a Private Hire rate linked to the office it affiliates to, and the other a hailed Hackney rate.

We had a bit of fare deviation when we visited Manchester earlier in the yr, we called two saloon cabs out, the one I went in was driven by an Indian lad, the other which my bil took charged him £10 for the trip, mine asked for £8 and got given £10, this could be because I was chatting to him about being a cabby myself and he knocked a bit off, anyway on the way back to the hotel we got an 8 seat mini bus, it was after 10pm and there is normally some difference between a saloon and a bus, this one cost £15.

Last tuesday I'm out on the lash locally, calls PHC, does a trip that my meter would say no more than £11 tops, £9.70 nervously asked for, but the kick up the butt bit is this, PHC in our city are generally £2-£3 less on a trip this distance due to PH undercutting us, I gave him the tenner and thought last time for you son, next time if he turns up I'll dud him and ring again later.

Hope some of this helps Shan.

Thread Information