User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to change anti-roll bar links and bushes?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused How to change anti-roll bar links and bushes?

I have ordered new anti-roll bar links and bushes, and would need some advice how to fit them. I've heard that the bushes might be a bit tricky to change, so any help would be highly appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

links..

use a 17mm spanner and an 18mm socket..behind the bracket there is a pair of 'flats' that the 17mm spanner fits to stop the joint rotating as you undo the 18mm nut..undo each end of the link and it will come out of it's holes..

antirollbar bushes..

bit more involved.. the 2 yokes with the bushes in are down on the subframe so access is poor..the yoke is secured with 2 torx bolts that are very short.. while the links are off, work on one side at a time..undo the front bolt and remove it, slacken but do not remove the back one, slide the bar and yoke assy forward and take off the steel yoke..now take off the bush ( it's split to just pull off).. replace the new bush and put the yoke over it.. now slide the yoke assy back into the bolt you didn't fully remove..insert front bolt and then tighten them both down..now do the other side..Finall re-install the antirollbar links..

Job done..

3. Likes Matty2Fatty liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

One more question.. Should I use some sort of silicone-oil with the new bushes before fitting, or just place them without any oil etc.?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

replace them dry..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Many thanks again Mark, the links and bushes are now successfully changed, and the "thump" is gone!

There is still occasional crunch/groaning -type of sound from the front suspension, much like if there would be small stones in the spring-cup. There should be the spring-mod in place (black version). The sound might pop up even on straight uneven road, but it will definitely occur after the wheels have been turned to the max position and back. The lower arms and inner tie-rods have been changed at the same time when the Irmscher suspension kit was installed last spring...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you haven't had the spring mod done, then i highly recommend it to you....

When i fit it, i also grease the lower pan to help stop the spring binding even more..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.8vvt

Year : 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    links..

use a 17mm spanner and an 18mm socket..behind the bracket there is a pair of 'flats' that the 17mm spanner fits to stop the joint rotating as you undo the 18mm nut..undo each end of the link and it will come out of it's holes..

antirollbar bushes..

bit more involved.. the 2 yokes with the bushes in are down on the subframe so access is poor..the yoke is secured with 2 torx bolts that are very short.. while the links are off, work on one side at a time..undo the front bolt and remove it, slacken but do not remove the back one, slide the bar and yoke assy forward and take off the steel yoke..now take off the bush ( it's split to just pull off).. replace the new bush and put the yoke over it.. now slide the yoke assy back into the bolt you didn't fully remove..insert front bolt and then tighten them both down..now do the other side..Finall re-install the antirollbar links..

Job done..
    I think the explanation above is for the "Klingon" type front anti roll bar bushes and not the "Tyre Tread" type.

The 'Tyre Tread' type you will have to remove the Anti Roll Bar and its a bummer of a Job.

Ive done it and its a tedious Job but can be done by even a moderate experience DIY mechanic.

The following was done on a 2008 58 plate Vectra SRI 1.8 VVT.

Open bonnet and undo and remove the steering coupling bolt connecting the coupling to the steering rack. 13mm Bolt, make sure its disconnected.

While you’re back there disconnect the wire for the Oxygen Sensor which is connected to the front exhaust pipe.

Jack up the front of the car and put on a Good pair of axel stands.

Remove splash panels from the driver side and passenger side to show access to sub frame.

Undo the 3 nuts on the exhaust front pipe and disconnect and undo the holding rubbers on the front pipe under the car near the gear leaver.

Undo and remove both front anti roll bar drop links completely.

The engine is held using 4 engine mountings, front, back, left, right.

Undo and remove the front engine mounting bolt 18mm nut. just the bolt not the whole mounting.

Undo and remove the rear engine mounting bolt tore bolt. Again just the bolt not the whole mounting.

The engine should rock forward and back. This just means the engine is free from the subframe.

Now get a jack and place it under the middle of the subframe and take it to just about touching the subframe, leave about 5cm.

Undo the stabiliser beam/plate bolts they connect to the back bolt of the subframe they are torn bolts same size as the subframe main bolts. Undo these but don't remove as the beam/plate can be moved out of the way of the subframe.

Now undo and remove the subframe bolts they are torn ones and you can undo them fully. You will notice the subframe will come down giving you ample clearance for you to undo the 4 torn bolts that are holding the Anti Roll Bar so it can be removed totally.

Once the Anti Roll Bar is removed you will have to unclamp the bushes from the U clamps. You will see 2 grooves on the U clamps where the lower section of the bushes will hook into once they are compressed into place.

To undo just prize the U clamps open and with a screw driver press in the rubber hook and the bush should move out of place.

DO NOT REMOVE BOTH SETS OF BUSHES AT THE SAME TIME!!

Remove one side and use the other side to measure and adjust the new set of bushes as you will have to make sure they go back in the exact same place as where you removed them from as they will not fit on the car if they are in the wrong place!

Fitting the New bushes.

According to the Haynes manual on this car these Anti Roll Bar bushes shouldn't be replaced instead the whole Anti Roll Bar should be replaced.

For about 2 hours I tried everything to try and push these bushes in and with no luck it simply couldn't be done.

I made a ‘simple’ clamp cost £30 in materials to compress the bushes in. The clamp is a metal plate 6mm thick about 13cm long and 3cm wide. I placed the U clamp on top of the metal plate and marked where to drill the holes. I drilled 2 holes either end of the plate then used 2 bolts and 2 nuts to compress the new bushes in, making sure that they are in the exact same place where the old ones were removed from.

You can try fitting this bushes without completely removing the Anti Roll Bar but it you would have to get the place right in order for it to fit right.

I greased the bushes inside where the roll bar is incase I needed to move the bushes but thankfully I didn't need to.

Refit in reverse.

Thread Information