User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: knocking/ticking from around cambelt area??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default knocking/ticking from around cambelt area??

Guys anyone able to help me with this...I have a Vectra C 1.8 Sri petrol/Lpg...just been on a 400 mile round trip other day and when I put window down as I was abt to park up heard a knocking noise...heard same noise a few days back when started but although it doesnt stay as loud is there constantly...its coming from the left side of engine as you look at it...near where the cambelt is....got friend to check other belt...he pulled it off started car noise still there....then undid cambelt cover and noise seems to be coming from around there ...belt was changed at 37k and now done 52k....could it be the belt, pulleys...or something else..? Noise is there louder when first starting car then not as loud but still there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could be any of the belt tensioner/rollers or the water pump.. if the noise is still there with the Aux drivbelt removed, get the car looked at FAST!!!!..if you don't and the belt snaps, you're looking at £500 + labour to get it put right, so no change much out of a grand...Your next thing you do is to get it booked in somewhere!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was thinking twice abt it but I think your right mate ...best get this checked...spend alittle now and save more later i guess ....gonna ring vx tomorrow. Lucky I,m off next week so maybe they can fit me in by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As Gsi3.2 says get it checked and quick. I had a noise from around that area and it turned out to be the oil pump, so basically it could be one of many things - all of which a bit serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers for advice buddy will go to vx tomorrow...how much did the that set you back if you dont mind me asking...anyone know how vx charge these days for having a look to diagnose..? Just bought some snowflakes..now this happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They will normally rush you for £45+V ( an hours labour) to inspect for damage, then build it into the job price if you have the work done..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just a update guys ...went in this morning. Booked it in and the girl at reception said earliest is Monday so I agreed but said can someone have a look if I am ok driving it over weekend...so the bloke heard it and said straightaway looks like waterpump so he said leave the car and he may be able to get it done this afternoon if not should be ready by Monday. not sure how much that will set me back ...fingers crossed aint to much he did say they will change the belt free anyway.

Only down side was they charge £7.50 for a courtesy car per day lol thought that was part of service oh well..will update you when I get car back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

pump should be no more than £40 full retail...and if they're doing the belt as well ( which they'll have to disturb) it's a bit of a double edged sword...allow for an hour and a halfs labour and a bill for some coolant as well as the waterpump is the lowest point in the cylinder block, so it will totally drain..so 1 job you needed doing, and 2 others ( cambelt change and coolant change) done early..

Charging for the courtesy car is a bit cheeky thou isn't it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mate your spot on with all you said...got car in to them today at 11:30 and got it back all done for 17:00 now that was quick....Wow it sounds nice now...phew like having a new car ..

They charged me the following £45 for the Water Pump £73 for the Timing Belt Kit...(by kit does that mean all the tensioners etc?) Also coolant was replaced like you said. ...you were even spot on with the labour 1.5 hrs ... it ended up costing me £280. Oh well could have been worse eh...am a bit annoyed with prev dealer who did service on car before I bought it as all this should have been changed at 37k according to history and now its on 56K hmm bet it wasnt done.

He did point out I need a N/S/R shock absorber as mine is leaking and also camshaft seal which is also leaking oil...i think I will get them done at a local much cheaper..cheers for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No worries mate....

yes, a kit means all the tensioners and rollers, so it's all fine for 40K miles now...

I know £280 is a lot to stump up, but if the waterpump had failed, it would have jambed and torn the belt, resulting in a load of belt valves and an engine rebuild.. so a stunner, but better than a grand....

Thread Information