0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diagnostix box and MPG

What MPG are you getting from your 1.9 (150's) and how many turns are you at on the box? I'm sitting on 21 turns and we're returning 40-41mpg on fairly normal around town driving. Some of you have mentioned 4-5mpg extra with the box....just wondering if thats on the standard 18 turns or what???

Was expecting a bit better....am I being greedy? The car was returning 41mpg before tuning.

Cheers...Kev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will probably find your driving has changed slightly If you drive as you did before the box was fitted then you will get 4 or 5 mpg more. BUT it can't be helped, the car just asks to be driven "properly"
    I get low to mid 40's round town and high 40's to low 50's on a run depending on traffic etc. I'm now on 21 turns too.
    It's not bad for a 185bhp + motor though is it????? (Mine over 190 now)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye...you're probably right. Shouldn't grumble. Same MPG as pre mod but with 35+bhp.....ain't bad at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got a diagnostix box fitted too now Its on turn 21 as thats what i read most of you guys were on. Feels similar to when i had the Dragon box, but 3rd gear has a lot more pull to it. 1st and 2nd feel mostly the same as before. I did notice that it occasionally chucks out a little smoke when flooring it, although this doesnt happen every time, eg i can floor it from 1 roundabout and i'll get smoke enough to notice in my mirror, but then i can come to the next roundabout and nothing. I may turn it down to 20 turns and still get a decent improvement.

MPG, even in the few days its been fitted, ive noticed a few mpg positive difference round town from standard and ive hoofed it everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the odd little plume of black smoke.. noticed it the other day when I booted it at ..well quite a lot - just for a second or so mind you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Before I fitted the Diagnostix box I was getting 45 mpg average and the computer agreed with me. Since fitting the box (Position 19) the computer has reported an average mpg of 52 but after a couple of fill ups and calculations the true figure is just over 48 mpg.

I think 48 mpg is pretty good and the performance is decent, I drive quick but very smooth and do not go over 75 mph on the motorway. I enjoy country lanes the most, stay in high gears, conrner quickly and get great mileage. I am often held up by people in town and country but not on the motorway, I think people have lost the ability to corner and go over 40 mph on country roads.

I am happy with the box, would like the computer figure to be nearer the truth, maybe it will be so in time but I think not, the box must slightly confuse the electronics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fuel Economy

I read with interest the comments on fuel consuption with the fitting of the dianostix module and fully agree with Steve.
    The increase in effiency of the engine in brought about by an increase in the common rail pressure. The computer calculates the fuel consumption by knowing the injector flow rate at the standard pressure, and not suprisingly at a higher pressure, it flows more fuel.
    I fully agree that that the computer is now out by 8 to 9%. It would not take a great deal of imagination to believe that the rail pressure has increased by a similar amount.
    With race cars, we used to trim the fuel pressure slightly to get the meter accurate, I guess it would be difficult to do the reverse without getting into the ECU.
    I always get over 700miles on a tankfull which is between 55 to 60mpg.
    The best journey 'milage number' I have seen (That's the average 71MPG + 61MPH) is 132. The best I have done in any car, and affirms the claim the the diagnostix box can, and does improve fuel consumption.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Mactech that is quite amazing mileage, how do you get it over 50, I drive urban but only about 40% maximum, is your mileage all extra urban? Do you go down hill all the time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I cheat a bit by doing most of my mileage on main trunk roads and dual carrigeways! Norfolk is quite flat, but it's not downhill both ways!
    I can't avoid the odd Tesco's trip, but you have already sussed the 'conservation of momentum' theory with high corner speed. The best possible advice I can give to improve economy is to anticipate the road situation. My general rule is that if I have to brake during normal driving, then I have failed to anticipate the traffic or road conditions properly!
    Oh! and no, this can increase not decrease you average journey time...
    How much energy do the brakes use? During Bentleys win at the Le Mans 24 hour race, the brakes dissipated enough heat to heat the average british house in winter....all winter!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Mactech with your approach I maybe able to add a couple of miles per gallon more but it would be difficult with all the traffic in my area and I enjoy the odd full bore overtake. I think if economy is the total goal then a very small diesel car is the order of the day, I enjoy the performance of our cars and like to use it to full on rare occassions, it makes me grin when flooring it past a few cars on a decent B road and notice their suprise at the performance.

Performance and economy are great when enjoyed together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information