Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Help! - with a micra

Any ideas welcome!

I was driving my 'other halfs' micra today and travelling along at 60mph (tacking and gybing in the wind- but thats another story!) and suddenly the car started kangarooing (surging then feeling if it cut out then surging again) I slowed down a bit and it stopped then it did it again. I came up to a queue and was half expecting the engine to die when I stopped but it was fine, and it was fine in the stop start traffic. Then back onto the dual carriageway and about 4 mins after I reached 60mph it started doing it again.

dipped the clutch and reved the engine and it was still doing it - got worse. By that time it was time to leave the road and I hobbled (jumping along like buckaroo) up the the roundabout. At tick over it was fine again. Then started to move off and it was really bad - ended up crawling into work.

anyone got any ideas? - its a 93 micra 1.0 - with cat but it looks like it may have a carb crossed with fuel injection (!!)

cheers
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1997... i would have said it sounds like you have single point injection, ie only 1 injector as opposed to multipoint which has an injector per cylinder.

You did the right thing dipping the clutch to see if it was movement or engine related, which has confirmed engine related.

Unfortunalty it could be a whole load of things.

From a simple cracked spark plug, to a split in the air pipe between the airflow meter and the injection plenum chamber.

It could be a bit of **** in the fuel or blocked fuel filter or even a loose earth or power connection on the battery, or even a fuel pump on its way out.

Go over the simple things first. Check the plugs, check for splits in pipes, check battery terminals and all electrical plug connections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like fuel starvation to me...It's unusual to have problems with these types cars, they tend to be really reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could be the cat colapsed inside

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Andy and Barney

Ive just taken the fuel filter off and flushed it out (as well as filling my glove up with petrol!!). Checked all leads but havn't taken a plug out as have no kit with me. I started it and went for a spin round the block and it seemed fine...........Ill keep my fingers crossed on the way home.

yep its done 68K and never had anything wrong with it since new - absolutly nothing!(when it was my Girlfriend's mum's) its spent all its life being outside, its been joyridden by my girlfriend's sister!, reversed into while parked- by a hit and run 4x4 with a large wheel on the back and had at onepoint plant life growing in a footwell from the after effects of spilt milk!!

yet its very nippy for a 1.0 (quicker off the mark than my vectra b 1.8) got no rust, paint/interior are good for a K reg (especially after I gave it a clay, proper polish and clean inside and out) and never misses a beat..........until last night when my girlfriend hit a kerb and slightly dented a rim - while changing the wheel I noticed a gater had gone and now this........my job today was to sort out a new tyre and gater rather than take the fuel filter off!

ho hum

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well got home in it - however it is a rev related thing - kept under 60mph and it was fine - change into 4th at that speed and 'buckaroo!' sweet as a nut up to that point.

Dropped back into 5th and fine again. on our drive I revved it and sure enough 'buckaroo'

will check electrics tommorow! sounded like a good place to start - hope its not the cat as that sounds expensive - mind the other half has been pestering for a cat for ages - that might be my easy option!!!
    Last edited by lborob17; 11th November 2005 at 21:31. Reason: spelling!

Thread Information