User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PC World returns policy: A bit miffed about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down PC World returns policy: A bit miffed about it.

I've been using a wee Dell C400 laptop for a while that I bought from AJA here on the forums.

I've got myself another newer laptop, but this one I find is really handy if I need to take it to work and I'm travelling on the bike as its small enough to fit inside a tankbag.

Anyway, its been working fine but recently I've been hankering after a bit more memory for it so that Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc, operate a bit quicker.

So a month or so ago, I ordered a 256Mb stick of PC133 laptop SDRAM. Checked it was the same spec, timings etc but once it arrived and I fitted it, the lappy refused to boot up. Got an error message prior to the POST where it said "An unrecognised memory module has been detected".

Anyway, tried it in another laptop and it worked fine. I checked on the Crucial website memory checker for the Dell C400 and it said that it would accept PC100 or PC133 up to a max of 512Mb.

So......I contacted the seller on eBay and he said it wasnt a problem, send it back and we will refund minus a handling charge. Fair enough.

Few days ago I was in PC world looking at some other stuff and happened to spot a stick of PC100 256Mb laptop RAM. £59.99, a bit expensive but I thought "What the hell, at least if it does not work, I'll just nip back for a refund, its worth a try".

Took it home and same again, unrecognised memory module.

Took it back yesterday looking for a refund. Was told it was their policy not to refund on opened packets of memory. Fella at the Tech Desk said "Yeah, we used to have a sign up here somewhere saying we dont refund on memory modules, although I think its been taken down now. There is however a sign about this over at the checkout I think".

I told him that my laptop should work with any PC133/PC100 SDRAM module but I was now beginning to think it was just being picky as its a Dell.

Asked him how I was meant to know it wouldnt work without removing it from the packet. He just shrugged his shoulders and said that this was their policy. His take ( and it would appear, PC Worlds ) , is that if the module is not faulty, then they are not required by law to give a refund. He offered to test it, which he did, and as I already knew, came back to say it worked fine.

I repeated that there was no way I would have known it was not going to work until I removed it from his packaging. He would not budge.

He said that all memory modules removed from their packaging were sent to be destroyed as they are not resaleable.

"But you have just tested it and found its 100% working?" I replied.

Again, shrug of the shoulders. I asked if instead of a refund they would as a show of goodwill, offer at least a credit note.

"Nope".

By this time I was getting more annoyed and as I had just come off a nightshift and was still in uniform, I though it was best to withdraw and cool down a bit, so the public didnt see a uniformed firefighter loose the plot in a shop!!!.

Anyway, I'm hacked off with all this and as far as I can see, I cant do a thing about it and I'm £60 notes out of pocket.

/rant off!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

order the memory from www.crucial.com/uk/ as it is garanteed to work. One of the reasons I never buy from PC World and they are always too pricey. If I have to buy something I explain what I intend to use it for and say if its does not work can I bring it back. Bit late for you tho to say that .
    Take your business else where in future and avoid them at all costs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go back in, grab him and pull him over the counter, I hate little twerps like that. if there was no sign and it was not told to you at pos ( point of sale) then they have no ground to stand on. I would also make a nuisance of myself until you get what you want. it gets me everywhere. I dont usually do it unless i am really aggrevated by monkeys. hassle people enough and they will back down becuase you are causing a scene. if i lived in scotland i'd come with ya mate. at the end of the day it is not working in your laptop, you have been told or seen that it would elsewhere. and they do sell them on as they package them in a brown box.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if all else fails - put it on eBay.. Would at least get some money back for it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pc world should be everybodys last resort shop, they are very expensive and unhelpful - they deny any faulty goods are their concern and try and refer you to manufactures or ask if you took out insurance !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might have a 256mb for a Dell C series at work, you can give one of those a try if I can find one, foc of course

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, you buy a laptop, install Linux, the hinge breaks, PCWorld won't mend it, 'cos you've invalidated the warranty by not having Windows on it:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...c_world_linux/

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So annoys me when shops like PC world are being idiots...mate if you want your money back and if I was in same situation....this is what I would do...give the dame memory a whack...so it def is faulty...got back to another local pc world say it dont work and bobs ur uncle u get your money back...bad thing to do but then if they aint playing fair then why should you..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the replies.

I dont normally buy anything from them as a few have already mentioned, they are too pricey and their service is sloppy. I just took a brainstorm to myself and thought I might as well give it a try not thinking that there would be any problem with a refund. I didnt notice any signs up mentioning returns policy and all the checkout girl asked me when I handed her the memory was "Is this for home or business use?". Nothing about "Oh, if this is not compatible you cannot return it". If they had mentioned that, I would have returned it back to the shelf right there and then, given that I was perhaps a little doubtful that it may work in the Dell.

I'll go back in this week ( not in uniform.... ) and see if I can speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey, as it were.

Failing that, I'll stick it on eBay and salvage some pennies back, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I might have a 256mb for a Dell C series at work, you can give one of those a try if I can find one, foc of course
    Thats very kind of you sir!!!. Let me know if you manage to find one and I'll glady reimburse you for the cost. As I said, I only use this lappy maybe a few times a week and although it chugs along merrily with its standard 256Mb, a bit more would not do any harm.

Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyser143 View Post
    So annoys me when shops like PC world are being idiots...mate if you want your money back and if I was in same situation....this is what I would do...give the dame memory a whack...so it def is faulty...got back to another local pc world say it dont work and bobs ur uncle u get your money back...bad thing to do but then if they aint playing fair then why should you..
    LOL.....!!!! Thats not a bad idea!!!!. Wonder if they would quibble at all if I went to another/different store to ask for a refund?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

justs have a look at there web site on returns bud,i think the only thing that cannot be returned is software stuff(unless i am reading it wrong).sorry i cannot work out how to bring a link up.hope this helps

Thread Information