Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Stage 3 (almost) fitted!! - UPDATE 23/9/07

Edit: Thread now updated with this post to follow on from the original post below.

Following on from this thread, I meet Justin from BSR at the Heritage Centre meet today and picked up two mahoosive boxes of exhaust kit and the new PPC 2 remapping unit. We then realised that I was missing the new injectors as they were nowhere to be seen in Justin's car, so he went back to see if he could track them down. Given the length of his journey I then met up with him later on and got the missing injectors - a somewhat vital element.

A bit delayed, due to the above, I arrived at The GSis and after a short while we headed down to Mark's unit to fit the kit. Couple of phone pics of the exhaust kit.....

Look at the size of that backbox!

Whopping 3" downpipe with spots cat. You can see the smaller size of the cat compared to the original one.

We got stuck in and made good progress - taking out the new injectors and fitting the new ones and then the exhaust kit - new downpipe, sports cat and all the boxes and pipes from their backwards. Some fiddly bits took up some time but we still made good progress. For a change it was me wielding the angle grinder instead of Mark! , to remove part of the old exhaust. Actually thinking about it he did get his hands on it later as it happens!

Unfortunately as we came to the tailpipes we realised that they were the wrong ones! and they were never going to fit in the cutouts on my skirt. You can see in the first pics that each tailpipe is a twin circular exit - I'd only been expecting them to be single circle - and that was why they weren't fitting. By then it was almost 11:30 so we called it a night and will finish off tomorrow. I may end up removing the lower skirt just to get the pipes fitted and get the Stage 3 map installed and test that everything is okay - with of course the obligatory road test!!

I'll have a look at making some 'adjustments' to the skirt tomorrow but if I don't think I can, or I'm not happy with what it may look like, then I'll just drive back home with the skirt off. People behind me may stare a bit but who cares, I'll be shooting off into the distance ahead of them! I'll call Justin on Monday and as I'll be away the rest of the week on the Milau Viaduct trip, the car won't be getting used anyway. Hopefully Justin will be able to sort out the correct tailpipes quickly - unless they need to come from Sweden!

So, almost there - tomorrow will bring the final touches and the chance to actually get it running and road tested.

Big thanks, as always, to Mark for his time and technical expertise this evening.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can't wait for the results Duncan, hope all goes well and you get it finished.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duncan that looks amazing mate are you fitting all the bits and then the remap is done after ?. As for your skirti want you to take it off young man and get those twins fitted or else .

I will look forward in seeing it all done and fitted and await your write up and results.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Sounds great so far. Pity about the zorst tips but great things come to those that wait.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mark1319 View Post
    Can't wait for the results Duncan, hope all goes well and you get it finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMM View Post
    Duncan that looks amazing mate
    Cheers!
    are you fitting all the bits and then the remap is done after ?.
    Yep, Mark and I are fitting the physical bits. The remap is held in the PPC unit - the box of tricks that lets me remap the car myself.
    As for your skirti want you to take it off young man and get those twins fitted or else .
    lol, well the other problem was that as well as being a bit too big, they also sat off centre (they must be for a different car) so even if I trimmed the skirt I think there would be a fair gap on the side that I didn't need to trim - if you see what I mean. I'll be looking tomorrow to see exactly what I can do and how it would look. It was too late to start getting into that tonight.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

You know you'll never be happy with a trimmed skirt. Also your old unit, can you now sell that on to another 2.0T owner, or does it lock to the first users ECU.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    You know you'll never be happy with a trimmed skirt.
    More than likely not! What I want really is to leave the cutouts/skirt alone and have oval exits, so I think I'll be looking at getting oval tips. If I can't get them from BSR, with the BSR logo etched on them, then I'll just get a custom exhaust place to knock some up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    Also your old unit, can you now sell that on to another 2.0T owner, or does it lock to the first users ECU.
    I could have actually kept my old unit and had the Stage 3 downloaded onto it via the internet (unit has USB connection), but I decided to get the Version 2 of the PPC unit as it's got a couple of different features and it remaps a lot quicker too. The old unit is still locked to my car and will be going back to BSR once I've done with it. Basically what I need to do is revert the car to standard with the old unit, then I can remap to Stage 3 with the new unit as it has the Stage 3 already loaded onto it. Then the old unit will go back to BSR.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    More than likely not! What I want really is to leave the cutouts/skirt alone and have oval exits, so I think I'll be looking at getting oval tips. If I can't get them from BSR, with the BSR logo etched on them, then I'll just get a custom exhaust place to knock some up.
    If you can't get the BSR version although I imagine they'll be no trouble in getting them, you could try Jetex who actually make the system for BSR only difference being the BSR logos aren't on it HTH.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, I knew Jetex was one of the makers of the exhaust. I think there is a second supplier but don't know who. Thanks for the 'heads up' though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

P.S. Just looking at their site now. No oval tailpipes offered as any of the Signum kits they do - just either twin 80mm round (what I've been given) or single 10mm round (what Gary must have had on his). Doesn't explain how mine are sitting off-centre though (will take a pic tomorrow to show what I mean).

May have to get a custom one made up by them. If that's what it takes to make it look how I want it then so be it.

Edit: They do oval tailpipes, so can't see why I couldn't get one that will fit this back box and be centred - may need to be a custom one as opposed to an off the shelf.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information