Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Another Auto box problem...

... I've read the tales of woe and mine seems a little different.

I have a 2.2l Auto that is 3.5 years old and has done 78,000 miles.

A week or so ago, while wasting away my few remaining years, sitting in a queue on the M25, the gear box decided to "forget" that it had first, third and fourth gears. I mean it stayed in fifth gear when stationary and when I put it into tiptronic mode would only find second and fifth. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and switched the engine off, waited 20 seconds and started up again, only to find I had all 5 gears again. It has done this a couple more times since, always when I have been travelling for some distance.

While waiting for my local Vauxhall main dealer to get off his fat a$$ and look at the problem I needed to drive round the M25 again. This time, the gearbox decided to change down from fifth to third while I was doing 70mph on a flatish, straightish section of road. Again it did this a couple of times and again switching off and back on again fixed the problem, albeit temporarily. Again, the problem only occurred after a long drive. Both occasions the weather was fine and dry.

Finally, I got my local main Vauxhall dealer to have a look at the car. His diagnosis was (after a couple of days of trying) that I needed a new gearbox. A cool 3,600 squid as my car is out of warranty. Vauxhall offered to pay 20% of this, as I'd always used a Vauxhall dealer for servicing, etc. but still OUCH!!!!

Now to my very simple brain, a problem that goes away when you turn the ignition off and back on again is an electrical problem, not a mechanical one, and not something that I need to have the whole box replaced for. There's bound to be a sensor or a switch thingy that's got old and is suffering an intermittent fault. So I asked the workshop manager at my Vauxhall main dealer about this and he said, "Oh, no you see radiator coolant has leaked into the gearbox oil and it's all contaminated". Funny that, I didn't know gearboxes were water cooled so I challenged him on this and he then said that the gearbox oil was a funny colour and that this meant that it was contaminated with bits of clutch. He then went on to suggest he could do me a nice reconditioned box for about £1,800, the car was getting a bit old and had I considered buying another one?

Well, yes I have considered buying another car, but it won’t be a Vauxhall again!!! In fairness, this is the ninth Vauxhall I’ve had (everything from Corsas and Astras to Caveliers and Carltons) and none have had any problems. This one has more than made up for that (both front wheel bearings before 17,000 miles, 3 radios, a dipping mirror and lord knows how many other “general gremlins” in the electrics.

I’m really at my wits end. I travel a lot with my job (oh, I wish this was a company car) and I’m sure this is a small, electrical fault. I need to find a good electrical engineer in the Essex area, who can diagnose what it is and fix it. I’m willing to name and shame the main Vauxhall dealer if it will help

Thanks for any help…

John

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

duuuur after typing a massively long winded message, i read the date of the thread..

doh!

CURLY

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maybe he's got it sorted now.....or driven it off a cliff.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I watched one of those 'how does that work' programmes,which showed you how they put together a modern auto gearbox and how it works.Don't think I'll be buying an auto any time soon!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I reccon off a cliff as he hasnt been online since last year!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I didn't drive off the cliff but the car did - well actually the next best thing.

Since posting the gearbox saga - caused by a leak in the radiator contaminating the oil to the gearbox and upsetting the internal sensors - I have had various other failures culminating in a ECU failure! This was the final straw as it would have cost more to repair that the value of the car.

I sold my 6 year old vectra with near perfect bodywork and interior for scrap and bought a reliable car. My Honda Civic is now 1 year old and has done over 18,000 miles without missing a beat. Nothing wrong at all - not even a wrattle or an unexpected squeak! Oh the bliss of owning a car that just works. It also happens to be 30% more fuel efficient and people say "Wow" in a good way when they see it.

So, not unsurprisingly, my ninth Vauxhall will be the last I ever own. If Vauxhall ever become the last car company on earth, I will take to walking!

Thread Information