User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been to see this Vectra SRi Estate (CAT D - Water Damage) What u think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Been to see this Vectra SRi Estate (CAT D - Water Damage) What u think?

Been to look at this car today at a private car sales garage

2006 06 Reg VAUXHALL Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 10,000 miles, Metallic Grey. Computer, Navigation system, Radio/CD, 19" Wheels, Ex Demonstraror, ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, Central locking, Child locks, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering.

£9950

I didn't realise it was a Cat D until I got there. The car was written off along with most of VX's forcourt back when there was all those floods. I have looked at the car and driven it and all I can say is its mint. The only issues I noticed were:
    1. Heater/blower/AC panel does not work (this will be fixed before its sold)
    2. Airbag light is on (this requires a module which is on order)

There are no smells coming from the inside and it runs like a dream, I think it had some water in the air box or something which was sorted.

It should still have some VX warrenty as its an 06 plate. I think its priced correctly to reflect the CAT D status.

I'm just not sure what to do, I may go back and have a closer look (under carpets etc.) if before I went ahead, if I decided to do so.

What do you guys think? Bargain or stay away?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

expensive for a write off .. if you buy it and insure it, then have accident the insurance will pay you out peanuts if anything at all.as it has a writeoff claim made against it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is a picture of the car:

I really like the car and have the funds to buy it. I wouldn't be able to afford one at there normal price.

I am just really concerned about issues occuring later. I understand that the VX warrenty would stand as normal although if a big claim came in to head office they would not cover it if it could have been caused by water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 150,000

Beware of water damaged cars...they are written off because water can cause corrosion in all your conectors that were submerged...also what was in the water...maybe the drains mixed with any sewage back flow during the floods..the interior would remain damp and smell for ages....cheap to buy...but very expensive and frustrating to put right...this is why the car gets written off...only good for spares and that is only if you are sure there are no potential health risks due to sewage / drains etc.
    Definately lift all carpets to look for dirt, rust etc...
    sorry for negative response but consider all the unseen risks...
    Personally I would not go near in the first place nevermind walk away..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From what I have been told it was not sewage/drainage water. I can't remember what words he used but that should not be an issue. Also the depth was not major although water did get into the cabin. This damage was caused a few months ago and the car has now been thru the last couple of warm months. There is no smell in the car and no major electrical issues apart from the two mentioned above. I have spoken to VX and they said there are no major electrical boxes low down in the car, so that should be okay.

I don't know, I have fallen for the car. but maybe I need to listen to my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI160

Year : 2012

I think it's too expensive for Cat D... I'd be tempted for my own use if it were selling for about 7k (with full vx warranty) but no more than that.
    That'll be worth a hell of a lot less and will be hard to shift should you decide to sell in 12 months or so.
    So many hidden things could be damaged and more likely to fail.
    I'd definitely make 100% sure about that Vx warranty before making any decisions.

edit: just read that you said Vx won't cover anything to do with the water damage....
    It's a lovely car, but run a mile in that case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check it for any water ingress under the carpets, make sure ALL electrics work. If it has a warranty then you are ok. Remember, alot of cars were written off in bulk in that area so some were not that bad at all.
    I know I have had cars submerged (up to the top of the doors) and just dried them out and used them for ages.
    For that sort of price I don't think you can go wrong, assuming what you say is correct and it doesn't smell of water/damp (has this been masked by air freshner?)
    I would also get the car really hot and use the heater in it for about 20 mins, check for smells then?

How long are you intending to keep the car? If you are keeping it a long time then you should be ok as the resale value shouldn't be affected by a CAT D write off by more than about 20% (so when its worth about 6K in the future the reduction in value won't seem as much) Maybe knock 1K off and the price is better

To be totally honest its the type of car I would buy, it looks in good condition, if it runs right and drives right who cares.

Go with your gut, if the car seems ok to you and has a warranty then you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have spoken to a VX dealer and the car will be covered under warrenty as any other car would be. Normal issues will go through as normal. The only time I could have an issue is if a major claim needed to be approved by head office, if the major claim issue could have been water related then this issue will not be covered. So normal issues will be okay, its just if I have a major issue that VX could try to link to water.

We are planning on keeping the car for quite some time. I can't run the heater due to the it being one of the issues mentioned above which will be fixed ASAP.

I need to go back really and have a good look under the carpets. From what I saw of them they looked fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Woulddn't go near it, they may be willing to fix thing before the purchase what guaruntee do you have that the problems you have will be covered by the warranty - remember warranties do not cover wear and tear and any damage made known to you when you bought the car.

Sorry to dampen your spirits.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Write offs are not entitled to warrenty.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information