My CDTi 150 Estate is going to be three years old in a couple of months, having done around 28K miles.
It's had a couple of issues in the 2.5 years I've had it but all have been sorted without too much fuss under warranty and on the whole I really like the car.
I got a really good deal on the car when I bought it (£9999 @ 6 months/10K miles) and my original plan was to trade it in for another similar when the warranty ran out.
However, I've noticed that prices for the diesel estates have firmed up a lot, and it would now cost me around £12.5K for a 6 month old CDTi 150 estate. That would mean a cost-to-change of maybe £5-6K?
a) I'm a bit wary about buying another nearly-new C when the D is due out; and
b) the next service on the car isn't due until Dec 08 and there's plenty life in the tyres, so if nothing breaks, it won't actually cost me anything to run it for another year.
Another option then would be to keep it for another 12 months and then trade it in. The car would be four years old then, and the D would be out so I'm guessing maybe £4-5K? trade-in and a cost-to-change of maybe £8-9K depending on how Vec-D prices hold up.
My other option is just to keep it for 5 years plus. Even if it's worth nothing at that point, that would still only be £2K/year in depreciation (which isn't bad) but the cost to change would be the full price of the new car, maybe £14K allowing for inflation.
So, what do you lot reckon is my best option?
1) £5-6K for a nearly new C at three years.
2) £8-9K for a nearly new D at four years.
3) £14K for a nearly new D at five years+