Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum 2.2 Direct - misfire?/vibration/poor acceleration

After the saga with my fuel pump/fuel rail/fuel tank and auto box failure, I got the car back mid-August and have been OK until last week.

I now have a sharp ticking noise on starting when the car is cold, this happened for a short while after starting before, but has now progressed to continuing after warm up (drive with the window open, noise increases under load, similar sound to pinking) and at the same time I am getting poor acceleration, hesitation/misfire is how I would describe it, together with a cyclic vibration (urr-urr-urr-urrr) that seems to be related to engine speed.

My fault code reader is showing no DTCs stored, so whatever it is the electronics don't seem to be complaining, no emissions light, fuel consumption not apparently changed much.

I'm suspicious of maybe injectors/plugs/plug leads/coil pack but this is based on little more than guessing. The vibration worries me as I was thinking about the flywheel faults mentioned here although I don't know if a 2.2 Direct has a DMF.

Any ideas?

Car booked in for MOT next Monday, but not with local franchised dealer and would really like to nail this one ASAP.

Vectra-C Obsessed Poster Drinky's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Difficult one to diagnose without hearing it but here are some possibles

1 ticking could be timing chain/tensioner i have even known the alternator bearing's to "tick" it could even be timing related causing the engine to "pink" worst case senario is a broken piston ring causing the noise

I am also fairly sure these engines have balencer shaft's on them it may be something to do with that

If it was me i would get it in somewere to have a listen to it as it sound's like it is getting worse and not something you should leave ..............All a bit doom and gloom i know sorry !!!!

Back in a V6 !!!!!!!!!!!! And lovin it !!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it does sound suspiciously like the timing chains..

if it was the main balancer shaft chain then it'd run a little rough at idle, not smooth up the rev range.. thats bad but not that bad,..

but as it's making the noise without affecting how the car smoothly accelerates then i think it's the longer main chain that needs replacing ASAP.. if that does decide to break ( and the noise you hear is a classic warning sign) then you're talking megabucks....

it needs VX to look at it soon..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

dont wait matey ! as above !! it really needs looking at ! the DMF is not such a big problem ie , the car can be driven safely ! but this noise is definately a warning that something is badly amiis !!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    it does sound suspiciously like the timing chains..

if it was the main balancer shaft chain then it'd run a little rough at idle, not smooth up the rev range.. thats bad but not that bad,..

but as it's making the noise without affecting how the car smoothly accelerates then i think it's the longer main chain that needs replacing ASAP.. if that does decide to break ( and the noise you hear is a classic warning sign) then you're talking megabucks....

it needs VX to look at it soon..
    OK, it's going to be looked at on Monday next, I shall be trying to avoid driving it until then.

I'm a a bit puzzled about how this could appear so quickly after it had a good checking over by Evans Halshaw when the fuel system and gearbox was replaced in August, they went over the whole car (paying particular attention to the engine) and in addition they spotted that the front springs needed changing (turned out 1 was broken) and the rear shocks needed replacement (since done) and otherwise said it was fine.

There's just too much stuff in these engines, makes it very tricky to work out what's happening especially when it's all buried under loads of plastic bits!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i must admitt that i find this engine hard work ! they are near silent at speed ! even under hard acceleration they only emit a muted whine ! and of course if a problem occours , they are ordinarilly so quiet its sounds like some bodys emptied a bag of ball bearings into the engine ! mines been perfect apart from the DMF ! amen to that !!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can anyone tell me the expected life of the timing chain and ancilliary parts if the correct Vx servicing (oil changes etc) has been carried out?

From what I can see, it is not a lifed item and there is no requirement to change it at any given mileage or vehicle age.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

true, you only really need to change it when it becomes noisy and it has stretched more than the tensioners can take up..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Can anyone tell me the expected life of the timing chain and ancilliary parts if the correct Vx servicing (oil changes etc) has been carried out?

From what I can see, it is not a lifed item and there is no requirement to change it at any given mileage or vehicle age.
    Another question, IIRC my Sig has the Z22YH engine, has this ever had the smaller timing chain oil spray jets fitted as the Z22SE did prior to 2002?

I'm marshalling my arguments as Vx Cust Care say that if the dealer says this is due to a manufacturing defect then they will be more likely to contribute towards the cost. At <61k miles and with properly carried out oil changes I can't see how it can be anything else unless the jets have become partially blocked due to the extended oil change intervals that the ECOflex service schedule lays down.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was only ever the early vectra B's that suffered with a small spray bar, and these where corrected with an inservice modification to bigger diameter jets..you won't suffer with the vectra C's as they where fitted with the bigger jets..if your car has had the work done by any chance, there should be a small dob of telltale paint on the timing chain tensioner bolt IIRC..

in my (humble) opinion, the service intervals are far too long for them anyway.. all our family 2.2's get oil changes every 10,000 to avoid this very problem ever occuring..

the main problem is when they say manufacturing defect they mean metalurgical defects and the like, or poor spray from the jets.. getting either proved will be amazing..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information