Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Emissions MOT Fail!

My first post
    Any MOT Testers out there?
    Appreciate some advice on 3 recent MOT Test’s that was done on my 67,000 Miles, 02, Vectra-C, 1800cc, Z18XE Petrol Engine.
    Recently booked the above car into local garage for it’s annual MOT Test. Tester failed it on the ‘Exhaust gas test’ (emissions). Prior to this & thinking that I would give it the best possible chance of passing the emissions test, I replaced 4 x spark plug with ‘Bosch Super 4 Plugs’ replaced the ‘Lambda Sensor’ & gave it the ‘Forte Gas Treatment’
    As a result of it failing the MOT Test on the Emissions I decided to get a local tuning expert to have a look at it, he too told me that the emissions was faulty, he said the Siemens MAF Sensor was faulty, he put in a new Siemens MAF, he also checked the timing belt etc, he returned the next day to check the emissions after I had gave my car a 30 mile run on his advice with the replaced MAF, again he reported the emissions were faulty, to cure the problem he now advised a new cat (ouch!), cat was replaced, resubmitted my car to same garage for another re-test, garage failed it again on the emissions only this time the reading was higher (bigger ouch), tuning guy returned the next day, he once again put his emission tester on my car, he was surprised that it had again failed the mot emissions as according to his diagnostic equipment my car was now pumping out fresh air, same day I returned the car to same mot station, surprise, surprise, it passed the mot emissions , mot tester said it was probably a ‘blip’ To add insult to injury my mot pass certificate even had the wrong mileage recorded on it.
    I’m no mechanic but, was I just unlucky, was it a case of third time lucky, is it possible that the garage’s emissions test equipment is faulty or, does the mot tester perhaps needs a trip to the opticians.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

phew mate thats hard ...I would have spoken to the manager and asked what the F*** is going on...especially after you spent money on the car replacing things that didnt need doing...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Kyser143,
    Thanks for reading & replying to my first post on Vectra-C.Com
    Think it was the manager that I got for all 3 tests. I was thinking of reporting the matter to the Trading Standards, however, I'm no vehicle mechanic/technician & would probably be on a sticky wicket, all that I wanted was my car MOT'd
    Cost well over £600 to get it through, used the same garage for years too, needless to say that I'll not be going back to them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is why I'm glad MOTs are done by a government agency over here, not back some nubbin in a backyard garage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The MOT centres test equipment will do a self test calibration and purge at the start of every test..I'd still worry about why you saw fit to change the lambda sensor to get it to pass in the first place as it's just un neccesary to change it unless it's faulty..if the car fails with high emissions usually a good filters service and a 'conditioning run' will sort it out.. the parts that you had to replace makes me worried about the tuning guy...I mean.. checking the timing belt when it's a mixture problem..and the MAF sensor would show itself as a running problem rather than an emissions problem...I think it's more to do with the tuning guy replacing wrong parts and doing unneccesary work , than the MOT garage not doing the test correctly, as it's an automated process and not one that they can really get wrong.. the computer just says yes or no..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We used to get a heap of emmision failures which turned out to be a camshaft 1 tooth out which then caused poor vacuum etc so i can see why he wanted to confirm that first.

The actual results of the fail are very usefull. A lot we could tell the problem without even looking at the car once you get to know lambda readings / CO values are and how different things affect them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

camshafts 1 tooth out thou normally show as poor running ( also running hot)..so he should have been able to rule that out just by looking at how it runs..

and yes, the actual emissions test results from the fail will tell us far more....

Still surprised you just changed the lambda sensor as a pre MOT part when it hadn't been faulted....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI hatch

Engine : z19dth

Year : 2006

Mileage : 110000

Default MOT testing

Best place i have found for MOTs in England are the Kwik-fit chain, mainly because they dont do repairs so no interest in failing cars for extra work and you also get it cheaper if you book online

Failing that find a local council testing centre, such as taxi licencing or ambulance centre, they usually do MOTs as well.

Thread Information