Thread: Brake problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Brake problem

My rear disks and pads got replaced about 6 weeks ago (only had the car 8 weeks).

Initially I had a few small grinding noises when low speed / easy braking. They disappeared until yesterday and today when I break again low speed or lightly touch the brakes I get a loud noise that sounds like the brakes are about to disintegrate or the back axle is going to come off.

Now when I am parked and press the brake pedal in I hear a groaning sound.

Any ideas?

I've got it booked in at Kwik fit for a full brake check on Monday but am also in the middle of an argument with the car supermarket as they only supply the car with 1 month/1000 mile warranty. I'm arguing that the car should be fit for purpose and 2 months and 2000 miles is not what I expect from a car.

So far I've had the front drivers shock absorber changed (they only did one and refused to do the passenger side).

I've had these brake problems which they won't even look at hence the kwik fit booking.

Finally got a hole in my left hand side back box - it's only the outer shell at the minute but again they don't want to know.

The car was only 3yr old 3 days before I bought it and they also put it through its first MOT and it passed first time despite the problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

firstly under trading standards LAW they have to give you 3 months warranty on any car sold, no matter who sells it as long as they are a trader..Get further advice from your local trading standards office..

They should have changed both dampers.. it's just downright dangerous to have unevenly worn dampers of the same axle..again, a quiet word at trading standards..

The brakes sound like they where installed dry and not into cleaned sliders or even greased ones..the Kwik-fit check will let you know what the score is.. it sounds horrible but it's just the pistons forcing the pads over ..

as for the backbox, they are now double skinned, so if it doesn't leak and is structurely sound it will pass an MOT with one layer holed..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the advice - I thought the law was for 3 months warranty but I got two very stroppy employees telling me they only provide 1 month and tough really.

I've been on to Trading Stds and am waiting for a call back from them on Monday (had to email them as they are closed weekends).

Still taking it to kwik fit as I don't want to risk anything with the brakes.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the supermarket employees are in the wrong....so don't worry too much..trading standards will give you the full letter of the law..and may even pay them a 'little visit'....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trading Standards have let me down - here is there initial response (shocked me quite a bit)

"In answer to your questions, there is no requirement under UK law for a
    trader to provide a guarantee or warranty of any kind. Any warranty
    they do provide is at their discretion, but is legally enforceable.
    The
    reason there is no legal requirement is due to the fact that we have
    statutory rights in this country, which may allow you to make a claim
    against the trader up to 6 years after the purchase date.

In your case you may have rights against Available Car under the Sale
    of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This states that goods sold should be
    as described, fit for purpose made known and of satisfactory quality,
    including being free from defects. In the event that the goods are
    faulty, then the trader should arrange to repair or replace the goods
    for you with a like for like model, this means nothing newer or better.

If they can not repair or replace it, then they should offer you a full
    or partial refund, taking into account the amount of time you have had
    the product for.

You have not mentioned in your email the age, condition or milage of
    the car, so please be aware that if the faults on your vehicle are in
    line with reasonable wear and tear (on the vehicle itself, not just in
    the time you have had the car for), then it will not be classed as a
    fault for the purposes of the above Act."

After this I rang them and told them the car was 3 years old to which they replied that 3yr old means the brakes could be classed as normal wear and tear. They also told me that there was no legal requirement to replace both side shock absorbers.

Luckily Kwik fit took the pads and discs off cleaned and greased them up and re-fitted them and everything seems ok again.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Get the other shock done asap. Find out where they got the one replaced and get one to match. Very dodgy just doing the one as it will effect the handling and therefore your safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Update on my on-going brake problem. Kwik fit had the car in a few weeks back and they checked the brakes over and said they couldnt find a fault with the back disk/pads (that had been replaced by the dealership when I bought the car 3 months back). They did recommend replacing the front disks and pads so I had it done.

Picked the car up and got about 5 miles down the road and my annoying grating/scraping and general sound like I'm dragging half a ton of scrap behind me came back (still only when lightly braking and doing under 15mph).

Took it back to kwik fit and the guy came out with me in the car round the block and heard the noise so took the back passenger side brakes apart cleaned them all up checked them over again and refitted. Fixed the noise had gone.

The next day we went to the seaside (about 100 miles) and no problems getting there parked up. When we got back to the car the noise is back so took it to the kwik fit there and they also can not find the problem but do agree there is a noise.

Got the car home and had it in at Vx and they can not find the cause either and have told me to put up with it which I'm trying to do but I get odd looks when I'm sat in rush hour and have to keep stop/starting and grinding along.

Anyone else had this problem and know what it could be or somewhere that might be able to diagnose the issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if the brakes are assembled correctly and not dragging when released, and the wheels are free turning, then i'd have to be looking at the compound on the pads.. but i still suspect that all is not as VX first intended..

the new asbestos free compounds are noisier than the old style pads, so i wonder if that is what you're hearing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm still having my on-going brake grinds coming from the rear passenger side of the car only.

The car is being serviced next week so am having them checked again and if the fault can not be found I'm probably going to get the discs and pads replaced (even though they were done 3k miles ago).

Just a thought can anyone tell me what size the 2.0 Turbo should have for rear discs - i thought I'd seen it around that it should be 292mm - I was doing a rough measurement with the wheel on and I' sure they are only around 270mm? Is it possible to fit the wrong size discs and could this cause my grinding issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the discs wouldn't rotate if they where the wrong size...( now sat here trying to remember the exact size of the rear discs ) there is only one size difference, and that depends on if the discs are vented or solid..

Thread Information