Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile 80.2 mpg and even more Bhp,Nm from 3.0V6 CDTI lpg diesel mix

Hi, Iíve been thinking of doing this LPG thing for a while as it is claimed that by mixing approx 10-20% LPG to diesel it will give more BHP, Nm, MPG, and clean up the emissions, so after a lot of research I thought I would give it a go and let you know how it all went, although I have fitted lpg systems in the past to petrolís I found the diesel one quite simple to understand, the biggest pain was the lack of space under the 3.0CDTIís bonnet to fit the necessary parts, but after a bit of pushing and shoving I got it all done in about 4 days, the tank will hold 48 litres of lpg and is a doughnut type so no boot space has been used up, and I always use the tyre repair in a can stuff so dumping the space saver wheel didnít bother me. On the first fill up I only put in about 30 litres and then proceeded to tune it up as accurately as I could which meant driving under load and turning the gas down until no pinking or knocking can be heard, then it was time for a proper drive! The first thing you notice is that the car seams to start a little easier, sounds a bit quieter, and runs smoother, then you put you foot down, and it pulls, and I mean pulls! I already have a CRD2 fitted to it and it was like fitting another one! At 2000rpm in 4th I booted it, switched the gas on and it felt like another turbo kicking in, just to give an idea of the power and torque increase, after a few days of playing I put my sensible head on and drove normally and I noticed the work runs mpg went from 48 to 62mpg! Then we had a long run down to south Wales and back and averaging 59.6mph (slow I know but I was milking the mpgís!) the car averaged 80.2mpg!! And no I wasnít on the back of a truck or being towed! When I filled up we had covered 872 miles on one tank! And I only got 11 gallons into a 13.4 gallon tank!! Meaning it would have done the 1000+ that the trip comp said! And when I filled the lpg tank I only got about 28 litres in meaning I had only used about 10 litres of lpg , thatís about £4.45 for 200 more miles, The last time we did the same exact journey at the same speed, time of day etc (early am!) it averaged 66mpg, also the particulate filter problem I had where it would clean itself every 400 miles has stopped, im still waiting for it to do it after its over 800 miles late, so the lpg really dose clean up the emissions! We have a massive 2500mile holiday up to the Highlands shortly so I will let you know how it went when I get back.

3.0V6 CDTI Vectra SRI, CRD2 had 229bhp 500Nm, now who knows!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds intresting, never knew you could fit lpg to a diesel!

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That sounds fantastic matey. Any chance you can get over to the North West's Rolling Road meet so we can all have a look. Total Vauxhall will be there and I know they'll be very interested in the results.

please, please, please try to make it matey, as I was thinking of gassing my CDTi when I had it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

2. Can my vehicle be converted to run on LPG?

Most four-stroke spark ignition engines can be converted to bi-fuel (LPG and petrol), including fuel-injected, turbo-charged engines.

We are aware that systems are being developed to convert diesel engines to run on a mixture of LPG and Diesel (called Duel Fuel or LPG diesel blend) but we have not yet been provided with satisfactory test results for engine durability or emissions. Accordingly we are not able to recommend such conversions at the present time.

http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/what_is/faq.htm#2

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile

I too read the same thing about a year ago, and since then not much has changed, but it did make me think twice until I spoke to an LPG expert who said that Boostlpgís aim is to get you to convert your petrol or sell your diesel and buy a full blown LPG vehicle, that way only promoting LPG, if they where to recommend us to have an LPG diesel mix, not only would you be saving money because the diesel conversion is a little cheaper than petrolís, but you would only be using 1 tank of LPG to 2-4 tanks of diesel, so in effect promoting diesel more than they would LPG.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Road meet

AJA, when is the North West's Rolling Road meet and i will see if i can make it, where abouts is it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i thought that it only gave an equivalent mpg due to the fact that its cheaper.

the lpg is actually 10-15 % less productive than petrol so it wouldnt increase that much even in a diesel.

not sure if this is true.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

check this out:

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

I think its all rubbish.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : i500

Trim : i500

Engine : V6 3.0CDTi

Year : 2005

80mpg that will kill the petrol heads off

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    That sounds fantastic matey. Any chance you can get over to the North West's Rolling Road meet so we can all have a look. Total Vauxhall will be there and I know they'll be very interested in the results.

please, please, please try to make it matey, as I was thinking of gassing my CDTi when I had it.
    Tibbs1cat well what do you think about coming over to this R/Road day

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs1cat View Post
    AJA, when is the North West's Rolling Road meet and i will see if i can make it, where abouts is it?

at Burnley

Link to the day

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The theory is or so I have been told, that all diesels are inefficient, buy burning only between 75-80% of diesel put in, the rest comes out as black soot, but buy adding a small amount of LPG it causes the diesel to burn at almost 100% thus reducing particulate matter, which is why my DPF still hasnít done a clean since it was done! and if you can burn all the fuel you will get more BHP Nm mpg, you can try it yourself sort of, my dads a painter and decorator so I borrowed his gas bottle he uses to burn off paint, put the hose up the air intake pipe, got the engine to 2000 rpm and turned on the gas until the revs went up to 2300ish, strangely enough as the revs went up the trip comp fuel instant consumption went down from 0.5 gal an hour to 0.4 gal an hour, then bring rpm back to 2000 on the throttle and the gal per hour dropped even more to 0.3 gal per hour, if your still not convinced get a long pipe and mate to help you on and off with the gas, go out on the road and try it, I did and thatís what convinced me to give it a go it was a bit tricky so be careful, it may work on some cars better than others but on mine it work great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information