Thread: What if I lose my key....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What if I lose my key....

Posted on here a week or so ago about needing a new key cut. Just been quoted £95 by my local vx stealer (including coding). When I brought the car I was only supplied with one key so thought a spare might be a good plan however I dont like the idea of spending almost a ton for a new one.

The question really is what would be the scenario if I lost my only key? What are the costs envolved in getting another? Could I just take my manual + code card in to get one done? (I was told on the phone that they would need the car in to code the spare for me). Basically I'm trying to weigh up the costs vs risk of risking just having one key vs getting a spare should the worst happen

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI160

Year : 2012

You have got to be kidding me - 100 quid for a blinking key Makes me glad I've already got two, and I'm going to take more care of the 2nd one now, instead of using it to open paint tins and stuff.
    Maybe just get a 2nd one cut, (without the remote), for emergency use in the keyhole?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not a risk I would take to be honest - Mine only came with 1 key and that was the first thing that I purchased.

Mine was a flip design one which I rather liked!

they will need the car cos they have to tech2 the key to the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Mine was a flip design one which I rather liked!
    Yeah my current key isnt a flip one and I would kid of like a flashy flippy one.... £95 tho arggggg cost me £2.50 to get my front door key cut the other day altho to be fair my house didn't require being tech 2'd.. I hate to have had to drag that to B&Q lol

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealuk View Post
    Posted on here a week or so ago about needing a new key cut. Just been quoted £95 by my local vx stealer (including coding).
    Go somewhere else - they are taking the pee. As I've posted before, the flip key all cut to your car is £37.50 + VAT (that's the Vx list price). Coding is then up to the dealer, but any more than £15 + VAT is excessive.
    The question really is what would be the scenario if I lost my only key? What are the costs envolved in getting another?
    For the key itself, costs would be as above.
    Could I just take my manual + code card in to get one done? (I was told on the phone that they would need the car in to code the spare for me).
    You could initially order the key with just the code off the Car Pass. They will need the car as they will need to code the key to the car. You'd also want them to remove the old keys from the cars memory just in case your old key(s) turned up, otherwise somebody could still use that lost key to drive your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It appears the stealers are living up to their name. I have phoned five vx dealers this morning about a replacement key. The cheapest price for the key,coding and vat was £74, the dearest was £99.80!
    Last edited by Del 2.2SRi; 4th September 2007 at 11:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

what if you loose the key and the car is locked, you then have to call the services to get your car to the the stealers, (a small fortune if you arent a member) they then cant get into it to tech2 it and even if it was unlocked the likelyhood is they would probably fleece you even more as you are now stuck between a rock and a hard place, with no key your car aint going any where so you would have to pay whatever they charged, probably best to get a spare i reckon. £74 now starting to sound cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It would appear a few of us have the same problem here. I've just bought a 2.2 SRi yesterday and there is only one key with it and although I've never lost keys in my life it would be most likely to happen when I don't have a spare!

I am working on finding a cheaper alternative and found the site below offering a Key Fob without a key for £50 but they are based in Birmingham and I am in Glasgow and given that you have all said they need to see the car to code it this will be of no use to me! Hopefully it may be closer to some of you.

Aside from that, if I manage to find a company closer to me to make me a working key fob how do I go about getting a key fitted to it?!
    Is it just a case of getting my key cut into the fob or do they have a chip in them meaning you have to line a dealer's pockets?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/vaux...omega-3button/

Smitrocks

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by smitrocks View Post
    I am working on finding a cheaper alternative and found the site below offering a Key Fob without a key for £50....
    Why would you (not you individually, but anyone) pay £50 for that when you can get the fob and key cut for £37.50 + VAT from the dealer and coded for around £15+VAT - grand total of £62 for the whole new key.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah, I must have misread your previous post. I thought you meant for a key only as opposed to the 3 button fob also being supplied. I'll check it out with my dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information