User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: where do dealer mechanics get trained??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default where do dealer mechanics get trained??

not a VX related problem so puting it here.
    the daughter came round the other day with her VW Sharan, saying her tailgate wouldn't open, so i had a few tugs at the inside trim and it was solid!! so rang local VW dealers and asked if you could get the tailgate trim off from inside as i'd tried and couldn't shift, "Yes no problem, it will come out easy" was the reply, so today i took it to a mate of mine who's got a garage and tried again to get it out, NO chance, he ended up cutting a hole in the card at the bottom and releasing the catch, when it was open there were 8 screws holding the card on which you cant even see with the tailgate is closed, so i just wonder where they go to get trained. the problem ended up being a broken wire in the loom where it comes from the pillar to the tail gate

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Who said they were trained
    (No offence)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they used to be trained at barnfleid college in luton there was loads of vw trainees there when i was there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maybe the VW person you spoke to on the phone was correct? It's possible that another bit of trim needed to be removed first to access the screws? Think about it, how else could those screws have been tightened up in the first place? Maybe your mate just didn't know the correct way to access all the screws/trim - cutting a hole in the trim sounds somewhat excessive, and obviously not the correct way.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VW now have a new training facility near Milton Keynes if I remember correctly.

As Duncan says, there must have been another way of getting the tailgate released (as trim cutting is excessive) and may not needed that piece of trim to be removed. Quite often there will be blanks, sometimes with stickers over them, that a tool can be inserted that can manipulate the lock rods and release it (seen it done on an Audi estate and varous Volvo's in the past).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Maybe the VW person you spoke to on the phone was correct? It's possible that another bit of trim needed to be removed first to access the screws? Think about it, how else could those screws have been tightened up in the first place? Maybe your mate just didn't know the correct way to access all the screws/trim - cutting a hole in the trim sounds somewhat excessive, and obviously not the correct way.
    Piece of p*ss to tighten the screws when the tailgate is open!!There is absolutly no way that tail gate card can be taken off with the tail gate closed. Perhaps Juzzy D is correct when he says there may be a tool to manipulate the lock rods to release them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Piece of p*ss to tighten the screws when the tailgate is open!!There is absolutly no way that tail gate card can be taken off with the tail gate closed.
    Ah, with you now!! Should've read your post properly! - it was late though (my excuse! lol). Of course the trim will be more difficult/impossible to remove if the tailgate won't open - like the Signum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Perhaps Juzzy D is correct when he says there may be a tool to manipulate the lock rods to release them.
    Possibly. There's no manual release on the inside of the tailgate?, like there was on earlier Signums. You stick the end of the key, or a screwdriver, and it releases the catch manually. There's not one hiding under a cap somewhere?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Ah, with you now!! Should've read your post properly! - it was late though (my excuse! lol). Of course the trim will be more difficult/impossible to remove if the tailgate won't open - like the Signum.Possibly. There's no manual release on the inside of the tailgate?, like there was on earlier Signums. You stick the end of the key, or a screwdriver, and it releases the catch manually. There's not one hiding under a cap somewhere?
    I'll let you off Duncan, (not seen a bad Duncan yet) i did wounder why you made such a statement about tightening the screws!! no nothing to let you access the latch, so i think what we did was the only way to open it.

Thread Information