Thread: Berlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Berlin

Anyone been to Berlin? Im going on a stag do there on Friday afternoon to Saturday and know nothing at all about the place. The stag is well clued up but it would be nice if I had some idea about the place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

It used to have a bl00dy big wall running through the middle of it but they took it down a few years ago m8.

Seriously....try this link. http://www.berlin.de/english/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol. i know that much. I just wondered if they were freindly, do i need to be careful of any areas etc etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Andy

Been to Berlin twice last year and once in 1986 before the wall came down (On a school orchestra trip)

FANTASTIC City - shame you are not going for longer - I could recommend lots of interesting things to see.

last august We stayed in the old centre of the west Berlin and on one day we did a 'walking tour' which lasted an afternoon - it was fantastic too - really gave some orientation to the city.

You know when you are visiting the east side as all the traffic light walk/no walk 'little men' have hats and a walking stick on the east but are like ours on the west!!

Where are you staying?

You must get to see the Brandenburg gate and the surrounding - Jewish memorial (about 100metres to the right of the gate - standing looking into east Berlin) then go through the gate up to Hotel Adlon (the one where Michael Jackson hung his kid out of the window) One of the best hotels in the world (even if they did lose my suitcase for 12 hours!) - lots of famous people stay there - its worth nipping into the foyer for a quick look-see.

The Brandenburg Gate
    The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin's only remaining city gate, is the true symbol of the city. Because it was situated in the no man's land just behind the wall, it also became symbolic of the division of the city. After the Fall of the Wall, the Gate was reopened on December 22 1989.

Checkpoint Charlie
    Numerous legends and stories are told about Checkpoint Charlie. The former border crossing point between East and West Berlin was the place where Soviet and American tanks stood face to face after the construction of the Wall in 1961. Today, the checkpoint is commemorated by a border sign and a soldier's post. The museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie tells the history of the Wall.

The Reichstag
    The Reichstag is the seat of the German Bundestag or federal government and, with its new dome, one of the Berlin's biggest crowd-pullers in Berlin. Its colourful past reflects the turbulence of German history since the 19th century. You can go up the dome free which is truly awesome!

Gendarmentmarkt
    Gendarmenmarkt is one of the most beautiful squares in Europe – a must for every tourist. Here the Deutscher Dom (German Cathedral), the Französischer Dom (French Cathedral) and the Konzerthaus create a beautiful architectural ensemble.

Unter den Linden
    Berlin's magnificent boulevard, the centrepiece of the Old Berlin, leads from Pariser Platz at the Brandenburg Gate to the Schlossbrücke bridge. Unter den Linden was originally a bridle path. During the Second World War, Hitler ordered the linden trees to be chopped down so that the road could be widened and integrated into the east-west axes; by the end of the war the avenue was a wasteland of ruins. There you can see the place where the 'famous' burning of the books took place.

If you want any more info let me know!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just seen your last post - think it felt about the same as a big uk city at night - ie keep to the popular areas. There is a lot of poverty and division - which is because of the reunification process. You also read about jobless crime etc - but as I said it just felt as safe as a big uk city by night - Although It felt safer during the day than a uk city feels!

The Berliners seemed to be friendly enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

blimey, thats a lot to go on. I think we are doing a quick tour (the stag and some others are going thursday so they can see more). We are staying in the middle of where all the bars are? if that makes any sense. Aparantly its right in the middle of the red light district? Im sure theres a club or something like orange just along the street. One of the other lads has our 'info pack'

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes mate, but as you're going on a stag do I guess you'll be staying in the club/bar areas. It's like any city bud, it has good and bad bits.

I lived in Germany for three years in the RAF, and one thing I noticed was that if you try to speak German the locals are a lot more helpful. What they don't like is a snotty Brit who thinks that everyone should speak his language.

Remember Berlin has a very strong Gay scene and a lot of establishments catering for your sexual needs, so just beware of wandering into bars/clubs catering for this if it's not your thing. Be prepared to instantly turn around if you see a lot of guys in Leather waistcoats. LOL

If you accidentally (on purpose (it is a stag do)) visit a Brothel please remember that the drinks are very expensive. But some will give you free drinks if your mate is doing the business (so I've been told) ;-). Also some bars have an exiting fee; they'll charge you to get out if you haven't been busy with a girl.

Apart from all that it's a great place for a stag do, and there's always a lot of squaddies getting hammered so they're used to our British Binge Drinking.

Thread Information