Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Vectra 52 (2003) 2.2LS + Auto box problem

Hi All!

Been looking through this site for a while, and this forum is excellent!

Just bought my first Vauxhall, a low mileage 52 (2003) Plate 2.2 LS with Auto. Lovely car to drive and a lot of spec for your money...

Generally the car drives fine and will happily cruise up and down the motorway, but when I'm driving around town occasionally the autobox seems to "slip" when accelerating normally. Best way I could describe it would be when your accelerating with a manual gearbox and changing gear you forget to bring the clutch up and press the accelerator, then bring the clutch up with full throttle, causing a sharp rpm burst before the clutch bites.

This all happens in a short space of time, less than half a second, then the car drives fine, maybe this is ok, but I'm finding this quite worrying... also the VIN number is in the potential faulty range for the known autobox problem.

I've noticed when I start the car up I get the picture of the car + spanner but this only lasts for a second or two and then goes out? Is this normal?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it all makes sense!

Thanks
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it falls under a recall, then you chould be able to get the work done even if the car is out of warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Autoboxes specially from early years have the known problems specially with the oil, they can have a baddd mix with water and oil in there.....have you checked the oil mate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think I know what you mean. I occasionally get something similar in mine, where it feels like the electronics just doesn't quite get the timing right, with the change being a bit sudden.

Mines an '03 (3.2) so is in the similar age range, although the recall work has been done. I've got to admit I've assumed it's a "feature" of the box rather than a problem as I've done over 50K miles since I bought the car (it's now up to 70K), and I've always had this on the odd occasion.

I'd recommend you get your local dealer to check if the relevant oil cooler problem recall work has been done.

As for the spanner that just means you have a stored fault code. It should clear eventually, otherwise you will need to get a garage to read/reset it with a Tech 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll pop it down to the other local dealers (not the ones I bought it from - Long story!! - never again...) and get their diagnosis. Anybody recommend a good dealer down my way, Bedford / Northampton / Milton Keynes area?

Is it an easy thing checking gear box oil, or is it best left to the garage?

Does anyone know if these boxes adapt to the way the driver drives? Since it has automatic sports mode, is it adaptive to the driver and maybe just learning my ways whilst getting a bit confused?

The car's got a fresh 12month networkQ warranty so I'm assuming this'll all be covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    Oh.. i do it myself...Wife say's i'm tight..i just want a proper job

To check the level you have to get the trans up to working temp before you change the oil, then drain and refill to a line on the little green plastic dipstick that is located on the front of the trans, just by where the oil cooler pipes exit the box..

Be aware thou that the amount of fluid you change will not be a complete change as the torque converter will hold quite a bit back from draining..also, keep everything really clean..dirt and debris will kill the trans in no time.
    This is for a 3.2 but it might be helpful for your box i.e. the green dipstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine (03 2.2 Signum) does a similar thing too. I've noticed it mainly after a long(ish) constant(ish) speed run. ie if doing 70(ish) down the motorway, if I come off at a junction, slow down etc. When I accelerate it does a change that feels like a big clutch slip probably around 3rd gear. It also does it on a downshift but rarely. Strange but true

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Spoke to another local vauxhall dealer today (not the one I bought mine from!) and soon as i started mentioning about this 'clutch slip' they said there was an outstanding recall on the car regarding the oil cooler. Booked in for recall work and auto diagnostics on monday.

Can't believe the Vauxhall dealer I bought the car from didn't sort it out or several other things for that matter...

Any ideas how long this oil cooler recall takes to fix?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Should be well less than a day. Mine was done the same time as a full service and MOT and they had the car from around 8:30 - 16:30.

Good job they are paying though as it would be a couple of hours labour at least I imagine.

Be interested to hear if it changes the symptoms you get though, or any other info they come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Took the car into the 'other' Vaux dealers today at 9am, booked it all in, they made me wait over an hour for a lift into town, even though it were arranged over the phone when booking the car in. Ended up having to make my own way...

I heard nothing all day so at 1530 tried ringing them, service weren't picking up the phone.... got a lift to the dealers, noticed the car hadn't moved an inch, service dept guy said, sorry we haven't had time today... even though it was booked in a week ago. Not had time to ring you, and the car was due back to you at 1700, at 1530 they still hadn't bothered ringing me. Being a 4hr job, they could've rang me a bit earlier.

Sums up Vauxhall dealers really... all I've done is buy a car and been a normal customer... now Vauxhall have my money, I don't matter anymore.

Nice one Vauxhall!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information