User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which one should I go for/would you go for?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 3

81 39.71%
  • Xbox 360

57 27.94%
  • Xbox 360 Elite

22 10.78%
  • WII

27 13.24%
  • None - Don't bother

17 8.33%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, WII or not bother?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Playstation 3, Xbox 360, WII or not bother?

Hi all,

I've resisted the temptation of the latest games consoles for some time now (we have an Xbox and a Gamecube but don't play that often). But I'm getting very tempted by a PS3 right now for the following reasons:

• Amazon's offer at the moment with two free games, free HDMI cable, Free additional Sixaxis controller
    • Steve, Harry and a few other people on here have one and you all seem to really like them?
    • Free online gaming as opposed to the XBOX 360's subscription service
    • Interaction with our PSP's
    • Playstation at Home currently in Beta and due to be launched worldwide in October: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQd2bIc4Mc
    • I have an LCD TV with three HDMI ports but no HD ready kit to plug into it!

However I don't know if I should or not (at all) or if I would be better with an XBox 360, XBox 360 Elite or a WII and wondered what you all thought?

Cheers!

Dave

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

PS3 defo ive got one and its wicked only down side is there ain t that many games out at the moment as with the xbox 360 but more should be coming out by the end of the year .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Dave,

I resisted for some time not to buy the Xbox and hold on for the PS3.

Then my cousin called and said Sony are selling(two months ago) them through staff for £400 with two games of my choice.

Well the unit arrived and i couldnt wait to get it plugged in to my 42" plasma telly.

Fantastic unit online and it also now up scales standard DVD's to 1080dpi.

When you first use the sony network they also send you a free blueray film.

The main other reason is i get the games for £20 each which beats £45-50 in the shops.

Anyone on the network send me a message to PS3 I.D mushy007.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a discussion with a guy in game and he showed me a list of games due to be released for both Xbox 360 and PS3, the list for the Xbox was 3 times longer, and he reckoned the trend would continue that way.

The other factor is whether you want Blueray or HDDVD because the Xbox Elite will play the HDDVDs and PS3 the bluerays.

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I dont have either, but would buy a PS3 over a 360 everytime.

Although a mate has just bought a 360 and a 37inch Plasma, and reckons playing Forza Motorsport or whatever its called is unbelieveable!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Showdown: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD
    Posted by Admin on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:39 am: [ Submit News ] [ Reply ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Michael Grebb

Alan Parsons wishes it wasn't so. But like it or not, the senior vice president of Pioneer's industrial solutions business group has become a wary foot soldier in the battle over the future of the DVD format. As music blares from a band playing at a nearby exhibit at the 2005 International CES, Parsons sits at a small table in a meeting room contemplating how the next couple of years might play out. He remains relatively reserved, trying not to let his passion for the next-generation Blu-Ray Disc format devolve into vitriol against rival format HD-DVD. "I don't like the rock throwing," he insists. "I just want to excite consumers."

That may be true, but Parsons still finds it hard to resist getting in a few digs on the HD-DVD rival, which at about 15 gigabytes per layer has roughly 40 percent less storage capacity than the Blu-Ray format. "They might end up with something ho-hum," he says. "They're saying that [their capacity] is good, but people used to think that five gigs was good enough." Parsons shrugs his shoulders a bit, wearing a look of calm but certain exasperation. "Why would we limit ourselves to a lower capacity?" he asks.

To be sure, Parsons is among several CE manufacturers backing the Blu-Ray format, which they claim is superior to HD-DVD. But the HD-DVD format has its own backers, who while fewer in numbers, are equally adamant that their format will win out because of its lower transition and manufacturing costs—as well as other technical benefits and its expected quicker time to market. Indeed, either format is a vast improvement over the current DVD design, which maxes out at about 4.7 gigabytes. Even at standard-definition quality, that's barely enough space for a two-hour movie and a few hours of special features. And with that much space, forget about high-definition TV.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you're considering the 360 I'd wait for the Elite. 120Gb disk and some other improvements like HDMI connection etc.

It also depends what you want out of it - on top of playing games of course. Is the BluRay important to you, or not really?

The Xbox Live may be subscription, but it beats Sony's service hands down. been around so much longer, more refined and a lot more than just online gaming.

As Vid said, the 360 has so many more games than the PS3, and it will only continue to be like that. Like the PS2 and original Xbox - the Xbox never caught up with the choice of games that the PS2 had. Yes, I know you can play some PS2 games in the PS3 but a bit pointless really.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vid View Post
    The other factor is whether you want Blueray or HDDVD because the Xbox Elite will play the HDDVDs and PS3 the bluerays.
    The Xbox Elite still won't play HD out of the box, you still need the external drive for that. It does have HDMI connectivity.

I too am in the same position not knowing what to get if at all. Been working my nuts off lately and have some cash to burn.
    I have a modded Xbox with loads of games on and haven't played a quater of them so I'm not a big time gamer although I am liking the look of Coln Mcrae DIRT and is it Sega Rally availabed on both platforms but the one for me is going to be GTA. I was absolutely hooked years back on the PS2 and dreamt of forming gangs with the guys from work going round kicking asre in a team

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    but the one for me is going to be GTA. I was absolutely hooked years back on the PS2 and dreamt of forming gangs with the guys from work going round kicking asre in a team
    They had delayed this game (GTA)for the second time i think to jan/feb 2008

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought a PS3, but was initially a bit miffed,although it is very good - then bought a 360! I find the 360 the best (only due to the fact of the online stuff and talkin to mates etc), but as said in previous threads, it depends what you want out of your consoles, i.e. blu ray, HDDVD etc etc.

My gamertag on both of them is Jimmy5441 if anyone fancies a Forza Championship one evening.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information