StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question for the Police on here

My other half got pulled today.

She was overtaking a tractor on a single carrageway bypass, the policeman who pulled her says that she contreved a solid line because she had not returned to her side of the road before the solid white line started, she thinks she just made it in time.

2 people in 2 cars behind her overtook at the sametime so they definatley contravened the line. The policeman took their numberplates only and pulled over my other half.

He gave her a fixed penalty thingy, £60 and 3 points.

However, he was on his own in the policecar, he did not offer any photo or video evidence of her contravening the line, so it is his word against hers (& my 3 year olds)

Does she have a leg to stand on, she signed the form as she was so upset, and the form was filled out at her car not in the policecar because she had the nipper in the car.

I am just annoyed that he didn't pull the 2 other cars who must have contravened the line by a mile, and they may well get away with it.

Cheers

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straight from the highway code mate.....

106: A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear well ahead and wish to overtake or turn off.
    107: Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White arrows on the road indicate when you need to get back onto your side of the road.
    108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
    Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/10.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.

So if the tractor was performing road maintenance and travelling less than 10mph then she would be ok anyway...

Mi lawd, it was a steam roller not a tractor...honest...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It normally happens they take the last offending car I think, so not to have to endanger anyone else chasing after the others, bit raw on your wife tbh a caution would have done imo but you never know what sort of a day or person the officer was, there are fantastic ones and absolute thick ones in this day and age, not implying he was a thick one because I don't know the road and if he's cleared up a few bodies along there it could also explain why he ticketed her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from memory ..

you can overtake slow moving vehicles (usually 10mph or under)

to avoid a parked vehicle

to enter your property

if a police officer tells you too

you don't need another officer to witness the offence thats only in scotland.

she only signed the form for a comparsion with the signature on her driving licence. don't worry about that.

now..

ask if the officer was traffic or not.

doesn't make much difference but we are better on traffic evidence

I would ask for a court hearing most FPN get dropped as there are very expensive to take to court. Some do go to court though.

I would argue "i was overtaking a slow moving vehicle which in my opinion was travelling at under 10mph. I did return to my side of the road before the solid white line and at no time did I put any other raod users at risk ". or similar

I doubt he will trace/talk to the tractor driver and I doubt he will attend court to give evidence......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn if only i could cut and paste............but remember the Highway Code is NOT the law. It is only a guide to safe and competent driving.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan View Post
    Straight from the highway code mate.....

106: A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear well ahead and wish to overtake or turn off.
    107: Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White arrows on the road indicate when you need to get back onto your side of the road.
    Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/10.htm
    I don't think he was disputing the meaning of the lines, merely the particualr circumstances that pertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post
    It normally happens they take the last offending car I think, so not to have to endanger anyone else chasing after the others,...
    Yes, and that's Damian's point. Two further cars overtook after his wife did so most definitely contravened the solid lines, the furthest one back being the most serious offender.

Not sure where she stands Damian - definitley one for MLC, sonicboom etc. If you are a bit late in getting back over and cross a white line you'd have thought there would be a bit of discretion as long as she hadn't forced oncoming cars to hit the anchors etc. - and also especially given that two other cars followed her so most definitely contravened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I don't think he was disputing the meaning of the lines, merely the particualr circumstances that pertained.Yes, and that's Damian's point. Two further cars overtook after his wife did so most definitely contravened the solid lines, the furthest one back being the most serious offender.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Not sure where she stands Damian - definitley one MLC, sonicboom etc. If you are a bit late in getting back over and cross a white line you'd have thought there would be a bit of discretion as long as she hadn't forced oncoming cars to hit the anchors etc. - and also especially given that two other cars followed her so most definitely contravened.
    No oncoming cars, she wouldn't overtake if there was a hint of a one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John35 View Post
    you don't need another officer to witness the offence thats only in scotland.
    This saved my licence only a week after I got it. I was being a naughty boy to say the least

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mark1319 View Post
    This saved my licence only a week after I got it. I was being a naughty boy to say the least

just don't enter SE London after the 10 September...........i will be back and looking for you boy racer types............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information