User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer workmanship - or lack of ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down Dealer workmanship - or lack of ?

My Victor Meldrew moment ..... having done Mechical Engineering, both as Apprentice, and then a Design Engineer, I am pretty fussy about workmanship. So our MY05 Signum 2.2 Direct came back today after having a new DIS pack, and a new high pressure fuel injection pump, fuel regulator, and fuel pressure sensor. So on the regulator the TorX screw heads were mangled, the rubber boot on the electrical connector was holed, and the main air intake pipe hose clip had a stripped thread. All parts were easily accessible, and not corroded, and yet they still manage to butcher them !!! Aaaargh .... !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep sounds like your average monkey dealer tech! I'm an Mechanical biased Engineer too and it never ceases to amaze me how stupid the people are who work on my car!

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

You got of lightly mate, they put my lump back together wrong after replacing an oil scraper ring. I drove off on my merry way to see plumes of smoke in my mirror, end result, brand new engine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by omega2498 View Post
    My Victor Meldrew moment ..... having done Mechical Engineering, both as Apprentice, and then a Design Engineer, I am pretty fussy about workmanship. So our MY05 Signum 2.2 Direct came back today after having a new DIS pack, and a new high pressure fuel injection pump, fuel regulator, and fuel pressure sensor. So on the regulator the TorX screw heads were mangled, the rubber boot on the electrical connector was holed, and the main air intake pipe hose clip had a stripped thread. All parts were easily accessible, and not corroded, and yet they still manage to butcher them !!! Aaaargh .... !
    Blimey thats alot of work for a 2.2,whats the story there if you don't mind me asking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sparky71a View Post
    Blimey thats alot of work for a 2.2,whats the story there if you don't mind me asking?
    It may sound like a lot of work to you, but my Sig 2.2 Direct is now on its 4th fuel pump, 3rd fuel rail and 2nd fuel tank at 3yrs 10mths old (all fixed at no cost to me), so to me it sounds like a middling amount of work.

There is something fishy about the fuel system on my Sig at least (and I suspect more than just mine). After the last fix I got a sheet to sign from the dealer with the mention of Field Remedy FR1614. Does anyone here have access to a copy of this to confirm what it means?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation See in the Engine/Drivetrain section

But here are the main points -

Facelift 2.2 Signum - Nov 2005. Our problems continue ... after an `engine spanner light' and limp home occurrence, a new fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure sensor was fitted. Then on test a DIS (coil pack) problem was diagnosed. Having fitted the new DIS pack, the `engine spanner light' has come on again. Now we are waiting for a new high pressure fuel injection pump .... There is a TSB out on this - does anyone have a copy they can post?

New pump now fitted, fuel regulator screws mangled, rubber boot on wiring for regulator damaged, main air trunking jubilee clip `stripped' . But at least the perishing engine light is off !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default For Fenris ...

It looks like a modified/upgraded fuel rail was fitted to the later engines, but I presume yours has been upgraded to the latest version ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default For Fenris - again ...

The petrol is squirted into the cylinders at up to 120 bar pressure on the 2.2 `direct'. I suspect the injector ports must be very small indeed to operate at this high pressure. I also suspect that if/when debris from a damaged pump gets into the fuel rail, it also can get lodged in the injectors, and fuel return system to the tank. I also consider that the average Vx `technician' is not careful enough, and does not work to what are effectively `clean room' standards. If there are any Vx techs out there who feel I am doing them down, then I am happy to hear their side of the story !! But virtually every time I get to work on a car that has been `serviced' by the retail motor trade, I find problems. The Service Manager at my Dealer did not know whether my pump problem was mechanical or electrical/CanBus, although he suspected the latter - he is not allowed to strip the pump because of the warranty aspects. I hope they have fixed it, because the the thought of them putting in a fuel rail will give rise to a sleepness night or three ! I wonder if they have checked out the fuel lift pump in the tank, because again I presume that the high pressure pump would not like being starved of petrol because of 'lubrication' problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Mangling `Mechanics'

Just noticed that the Ecotec plastic cover over the DIS was not sitting square. Guess what - Mr Vx Mangling Mechanic has busted some of the retaining claws off. Where do Vx get their staff from !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by omega2498 View Post
    The petrol is squirted into the cylinders at up to 120 bar pressure on the 2.2 `direct'. I suspect the injector ports must be very small indeed to operate at this high pressure. I also suspect that if/when debris from a damaged pump gets into the fuel rail, it also can get lodged in the injectors, and fuel return system to the tank. I also consider that the average Vx `technician' is not careful enough, and does not work to what are effectively `clean room' standards. If there are any Vx techs out there who feel I am doing them down, then I am happy to hear their side of the story !! But virtually every time I get to work on a car that has been `serviced' by the retail motor trade, I find problems. The Service Manager at my Dealer did not know whether my pump problem was mechanical or electrical/CanBus, although he suspected the latter - he is not allowed to strip the pump because of the warranty aspects. I hope they have fixed it, because the the thought of them putting in a fuel rail will give rise to a sleepness night or three ! I wonder if they have checked out the fuel lift pump in the tank, because again I presume that the high pressure pump would not like being starved of petrol because of 'lubrication' problems.
    The workshop controller at my local dealers tells me that he doesn't think the high pressure pump needs the lift pump, but that it has to be fitted and working because the electronics expects it to be there and supplying a 'pump good' signal. I have not really looked too much at the fuel rail, but I assume that I'd need to know the new part number (or the new part suffix if that's how modified parts are numbered by GM) to be able to tell. It is shiny though, as is the new gaerbox and radiator.

If I were you I'd be complaining about the parts that have been damaged by the Vx techs, they were fine when the cart went in, so why should they be able to break them with impunity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information