Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Basic cleaning

Hi guys,

For those who would not wish to spend hours and hours or even days cleaning their car here is a "how to" which will take 3hours or so but then it will last for a number of moths with just a weekly wash & wax, so here you go: -

Some tips with regard to polish, wax etc.

Order is always – cleaner then polish or cleaner/polish, sealer then wax.

Clay once or twice per year (Meguiar’s Quick Clay) see "How To"
    Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (DC#1)
    Deep Crystal Polish (DC#2)
    followed by #21 (sealer) optional but recommended.
    followed by #26 or and I prefer #16 (both are waxes)

Alternatively you could use the DC #1, #2 & #3 system, which are DC#1 cleaner, DC#2polish and DC#3 is a Carnauba wax, these are readily available from Halford etc or on ebay for £20 for all 3, although if you want that wet look I would definitely include #21 after the polish but before the wax.

Then wash once per week and apply a coat of NXT Spray Wax, this just makes it last that much longer because you’re topping up the wax every week.

The above will guarantee your car looks superb at all times!

Also when applying NXT Spray Wax do it like this: -

Fold the cloth (I would recommend a MF) twice so you have 4 layers, this ensures a thick buffer between your hand and the paint.
    Apply the wax to the CLOTH (not the paint) and DO NOT turn the cloth, then apply to paint in straight lines i.e. for the roof apply from the back to the front.
    When the whole car has been done now is the time to turn the cloth, go back to where you started and remove excess wax again going in straight lines, but this time across the roof (side to side).
    And finally take a clean cloth and buff up, this time going from back to front, this ensures an even coverage of wax.
    Suppliers of above products: -

Clay: - ebay is best just search for “meguiars quick clay” (£12).

For #21 £14.00 + £1.50 delivery contact Shaun Townwsley: - peacemaker_colt@hotmail.com

For #16, #26 and DC#1, #2 & #3 contact: - http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Details.asp who is “johnnyopolis” on the forum.

Also, cleaning the engine bay: -

1) Cover electrical items using double thickness clingfilm.
    2) Spray AG Clean Machine liberally over both the underside of the bonnet
    and the engine bay.
    3) Use a radiator brush to agitate.
    4) Rinse using hose or pressure washer, I prefer a hose, less pressure than a
    pressure washer.
    5) Spray area with AG vinyl & rubber care, do not agitate.
    6) Close bonnet job done.

The above is the easiest, simplest and quickest way I have found when cleaning the engine bay, the whole thing only takes a few minutes and the bay will be as good as new.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im sure youre on commission from Meguiars Brian lol

Its worth pointing out that in addition to Meguiars, there are a lot of other products that will do the job equally as well.
    eg some enthusiast still maintain that Autoglym super resin followed by Extra Gloss is as good as it gets.

You can also buy products individually of manufacturer for each stage of the above and mix and match to suit your paint colour and condition but the cost tends to add up once you start down this route and its thought that some products dont tend to bond well with certain other types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    im sure youre on commission from Meguiars Brian lol

Its worth pointing out that in addition to Meguiars, there are a lot of other products that will do the job equally as well.
    eg some enthusiast still maintain that Autoglym super resin followed by Extra Gloss is as good as it gets.

You can also buy products individually of manufacturer for each stage of the above and mix and match to suit your paint colour and condition but the cost tends to add up once you start down this route and its thought that some products dont tend to bond well with certain other types.
    Hi Andy,

Check out the "cleaning engine bay" you'll see that I suggest only AG products

And yes you are correct that there are other products such as AG, Turtle wax etc that may well do the job.........the only reason I suggest the products listed is that they are dedicated and particularly where the cleaner (DC#1) and the polish (DC#2) are concerned the Megs products have what they call "deminishing abrasives" which means as you use it the abrasiveness gets less and less until there are no abrasives left.

Where as AG etc also have abrasives but, correct if I'm wrong when I say, that the abrasives they contain DO NOT deminish and will continue to "cut" as long as you use them.

But we'll all get there in the end Andy eh

Pile in with your "How To's" aswell that will give the guys a choice........as you know it can get confusing where Megs is concerned eh

Cheers
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Totally agree about autoglym. Personally i dont use it anymore but reading some of the detailing forums it still has its fans. In place of AG super resin i use meguiars NXT. But thats just if im in one of those moods where i want something simple on the car for winter etc. Come Spring i strip it all off and start with the Carlack68/Poorboys EX or Omega Glaze/either p21s, Souveran or 1z Glanz depending on mood. (i still have some #16 but tend to ignore it for some reason)

I dont know if youre the same but i like to strip the car back sometimes and try a different combo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Totally agree about autoglym. Personally i dont use it anymore but reading some of the detailing forums it still has its fans. In place of AG super resin i use meguiars NXT. But thats just if im in one of those moods where i want something simple on the car for winter etc. Come Spring i strip it all off and start with the Carlack68/Poorboys EX or Omega Glaze/either p21s, Souveran or 1z Glanz depending on mood. (i still have some #16 but tend to ignore it for some reason)

I dont know if youre the same but i like to strip the car back sometimes and try a different combo?
    Yep that sounds like a good method you've got there Andy

I tend to go with #80, #7, #21 and finally eithet #26 or #16, although I will be trying dif combinations as and when.....I also have #9 which is good as a quick fix if you have any swirls, #82 and #66 which is basically a one step product i.e. a cleaner & a polish in one, P21s, AG SRP, AG Extra Gloss etc etc.........as you probably know we could go on and on and on eh

As I mentioned the Megs can be VERY confusing for someone just thinking about giving there car a major deep clean and that's why I was suggesting the DC system, there is better but then you're into this number and that number and a bit more time needing to be spent eh!

Some of the guys have got #21 which is a great sealer and gives the wet that looks so good but it is best to top that with a wax........anyways I thnik we'll get everything covered eventually eh

Bryan

PS I've just noticed........you ignore #16 .........for me for the winter it's the only way to go, that or P21s........but I find #16 is more durable and longer lasting probably because it's said to be one of the harder waxes which is why it's important to put it on thinly as it can be difficult to get off if it's put on too thick.
    Last edited by blr123; 31st October 2005 at 14:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool

hey guys i'm enjoying this reading, as some of you know i like to keep my car looking imaculate so keep up this info cus i'm always looking for the odd tip now en then to improve the look of mi mota.

Thread Information