User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facelift aerodynamics, do they make it faster...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Post Facelift aerodynamics, do they make it faster...

I ran my new dragon up my fav 'race track' last week

It's an up hill strech, must be about half to three quaters of a mile long and the 'finish' is a bridge over it.

I've done it often in the old one after mods to see how it performed in the real world, again previous top speeds I had reached.

Anyway, I stormed up the hill in the new girl and was actually going slightly faster than the old one by the bridge.

The old car is definatly faster off the line, with an extra 10+bhp and 70lbft of torque but around about 95mph, it starts to slow down and I grab for fith.

The face lift buggy though seems to hold on better and having examined the graphs, there's no way it can be due to the engine, so it has to be down to shape or weight. As the new one has alot more extras I would be suprised if it were much lighter... Guess that leave the shape alone to explain it.

spoons

What about wind direction, wind speed, air density etc...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In short, No. Too many variables to be exact anyway.

If I was to be bold, I'd say the preface was more aerodynamically efficient due to the style of the front end, I.e, Headlights, bonnet over bumper, no gap between grille and leading edge of bonnet, etc etc.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've done the same hill dozens of times in the old one and never gone this fast, seems unlikely the one time I did it in the new one everything was right....

I don't think the pre-face was more aerodynamic, for starters the upper grill on the face lift is fake, where as the pre-face was a true grill. The face lift therefore forces the air over the bonnet more, where as the pre-face takes it in and acts as a parashute. Also the face lift generally has a sharper front, better for cutting through the air at speed. The pre-face had what I lovingly refer to as a tank like apearance. The front it just a big flat mass, pounding its was through the air.

I've noticed it on flat roads too, concidering the reduction in power and torque (and I mean the torque curve for the new one fits under the old one's and never touches it!) it goes better at high speed... Now when I say high speed, I'm talking 120mph+.

I only every went to 143mph in the old one and it didn't feal safe, the stearing felt very light and the car was twitchy. I've done over 135 in the new one though and it felt solid.

I lowered the last one all round and put uprated shocks on. Those shocks are now on the new one and I've only dropped the front, so it has a mean lean to it. I'm sure this isn't in my head, only one way to know for sure though... Might have to go to Germany at Christmas, can't go in Sept but I'm dying (not literally) to see what it will do at top end.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Isn't the facelift a bit lighter then the pre for the equivalent model? (Not 100% sure just thought I'd seen it somewhere).

I wouldn't have thought the difference in shape would have made any difference - we're talking about really minor changes on the front end in terms of the actual profile etc.

When you say it's faster, what sort of difference are you talking about?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

About about 3mph but on an up hill, at 108mph that's quite a difference. The 15.6 quater miles times I ran were at just over 89mph terminal and the 15.2 was 91 or 92mph. So going up hill, that would be even more pronounced. And yes, I concidered the fact that the speedos might be differing but they both run the same on the Red Dot rollers so I don't think that's it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Isn't the facelift a bit lighter then the pre for the equivalent model? (Not 100% sure just thought I'd seen it somewhere).

I wouldn't have thought the difference in shape would have made any difference - we're talking about really minor changes on the front end in terms of the actual profile etc.

When you say it's faster, what sort of difference are you talking about?
    The facelift cars are slightly lighter, your right Duncan, but the official figures for 0-60 etc are slightly slower than pre-facelift, model to model.

I found my facelift SRi 1.9 CDTi 150 was a slight bit quicker in a straight line than the pre-facelift, it felt more nimble than the pre.

Nutron buddy, I have the possible answer for you, as you ****ed about with the old car so much trying to make it go fasterm maybe in the end it screwed it up and it ended up being slower!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

Nutron buddy, I have the possible answer for you, as you ****ed about with the old car so much trying to make it go fasterm maybe in the end it screwed it up and it ended up being slower!
    I was thinking of a way of being, Diplomatic. But that's pretty much what I was wondering, not to mention wear and tear..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the 15.2 quater mile would disprove that theory

The old one was a pretty low spec, aircon, dab radio, 17" alloys, front fogs, that was about it.

The new one has aircon, CD 70 colour SatNav, 17" alloys, front fogs again, VXR rear spoiler (other one didn't have a spoiler), blue tooth phone system and a sunroof for even more weight. Don't think the ESP would add any weight.

I can't see the latter being lighter when all they changed was the bonnet, wings, bumper and head lights.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI158

Year : 2012

Can't see that the slight difference in front end would make the car significantly quicker, especially at the lowish speeds we're talking about. Really doubt it. If this isn't just down to the conditions, or the weight (which is a possibility still) as mentioned above, then it must be down to the engine. Perhaps this engine, with a box on i assume, works really well as the revs rise. Perhaps the old one, even though it made more torque than your new one, ran out of puff a little bit over 100mph.
    edit: i just saw you wrote that your graphs say that can't be the case, but sometimes figures don't tell the whole story.
    Last edited by Hideous; 17th August 2007 at 22:12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information