0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LPG conversions

Has anyone on here got an lpg conversion on their vectra or signum? If so are they worth it? i have had a couple of quotes and i know the obvious cheaper fuel benefit but what are they liek to live with, i.e do you get the same performance out of the car etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Greame,
    I've got a vauxhall converted 1.8 SXI saloon and apart from a few niggles it's been pretty good. To be honest I don't notice any difference in performance between petrol and LPG, although I understand that it depends on how the installer 'tunes' the system. The biggest pain in the ar*e is the size of the tank it depends on how the system feels but it somestimes is capable of 240ish miles per tank and sometimes 300miles. Again as I understand it it's due to the pressure in the system when you refill.
    I'd definately recommend it but make sure that there are a number of LPG stations nearby!

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for that mate. Theres a few near me i think so may be a good investment although the lureof a diesel is also a possibility!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No No No No Graeme, if it's Vx original then yeah it's a good idea, but £1600 - £2000 fitted will take 2 yrs on 20k per yr to just recover the fit costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked into this too. Seems it can't be done, well not at the moment anyway, on my 2.2 direct engine, strange but true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts Iíve read/seen performance is virtually unaffected, possibly a tiny bit down, but not so much you are going to notice, you probably wonít be able to tell the difference.
    Economy actually goes down, but then, as you know, the gas is so much cheaper.
    But, consider the costs, it's not cheap to fit to most modern cars, by modern, I mean anything fuel injected and with a ECU, youíre probably looking at the best part of £2000, if it had a carburettor on it, it's half the cost.
    Also, consider the insurance, attitudes may have lightened a little now a days, but insurance companies never used to like the idea of a large tank of combustible gas attached to the car for some reason, so check this first.
    Don't forget the extra tank either, this normally means a loss of a lot of boot space, I know you can get spare wheel well tanks, but they are quite small, (capacity wise) and you lose the spare wheel and gain a can of tyre weld, or the spare ends up in the boot.
    And lastly, do you ever travel through the channel tunnel, because last time I looked, LPG cars were banned, so itís the ferry for you, no choice.
    You'll get free congestion charge in London though, which Iím sure will be really useful for you, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I'd read that the congestion charge exemption was going to end. They realised that just because vehicles are dual fuel, there's nothing to stop you driving in the zone on petrol. Or was that just a jealous rumour?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know, the exemption is still in place, not a lot of use to Graeme either way to be honest, considering his location, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking at LPG conversions and different companies in the Midlands for the past 6 weeks and have managed to get prices varying from £1200 up to £1850 (this for my 2.0T Vec). I'm looking to get one of the supposed market leading brands (BRC) fitted though so am going to be paying about £1550. My conversion will pay for itself in about 12-14 months so it makes sense for me.

The congestion charge will only be exempt if your vehicel fits in to band4 of the emmissions saving after the LPG and its a bit of a lottery which depends on the type of kit and engine your vec has.

The channel tunnel still dont let you through but it is up for review later in the year.

The spare wheel tanks are pretty small (about 60litres) but I dont want to lose any boot space and dont mind keep re-filling regularly.

Quite a few of the insurance companies are ok with LPG conversion provided you get the LPGA certificate provided by the installer (I'm with Swift Cover you dont even need to send them anything).

Finally Elovonic - a place called Go-LPg have already converted a 2.2 Vec as I've been going on an LPG forum asking for advice about Vec's and LPG and other things and he says its a straight forward conversion for it.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention if you go on to www.go-lpg.co.uk you can click on the gallery and see the 2.2 Vec that has been converted with pics of the engine bay etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information