Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Had enough of my Mondeo

Alright folks,

I am a former GSI owner and find myself back on vec c again looking at vec's and signums yet again. I currently run a Mondeo 1.8 silver which is a so called special edition, its not a bad car but its far too slow. I need something more refined and quicker so I am considering a Signum 3.0 CDTi or a 2.8T design manual, is it worth the extra fuel bills to drive the petrol or should I go for the compromise of the diesel power and decent mpg?
    What sort of mpg do people get from these machines?

Cheers

Mike

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They all come grovelling back . But seriously if you want all out thrills get the 2.8T, although the V6 diesel is a great comprimise I would say petrol is worth the extra fuel bills defo. Im a petrol man myself so I know what I'd pick. As for mpg Im getting around 26mpg with mixed driving out of my 2.0T if thats an option for you.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the vectra cant beat the mondeo to drive , but the weight of the mondeo doors compared to my vectra doors they feel like nothing the handles are skinny and nasty and they weigh sod all , would rather be taken side on in the vectra than the mondeo !
    but then would rather drive the mondeo .......

me next cars a focus thats that sorted.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    the vectra cant beat the mondeo to drive , but the weight of the mondeo doors compared to my vectra doors they feel like nothing the handles are skinny and nasty and they weigh sod all , would rather be taken side on in the vectra than the mondeo !
    but then would rather drive the mondeo .......

me next cars a focus thats that sorted.
    Yeah would agree to a certain extent with your views, the mondeo has a better gearchange and handles better. However the high speed refinement and feel of interior materials are poor in comparison. The vectra also looks better and has a better range of engines. Where the mondeo is given credit and high scores in the motoring press which in many respects are fair, I feel the press are too hard on the vec/sig and somewhat miss the point. I think the fact I'm considering buying another vec/sig and not a mondeo shows that the vauxhall is a better all round package.

Mike

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I said this before, Im sorry but I think Mundeos are waaay over-rated.
    All this talk from the press about class leading handling blah, blah..............they are NO different to any other car IMO. I had a 2.0 LX on a new shape Y plate years ago and it was quite fankly dull, ordinary and boring. And the brakes were the worst I'd ever had in a car. Maybe the hotter models are more fun, dont know never been in one.
    When I had mine I test driven a couple of Vec's (testing for next company car) and after driving these Vec's I really didnt want to get back into the dull and boring Mundeo.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mike , the mondeo the main facia of the dash is better quality , the door panels roof lining etc of the vectra are better ,
    but then there is the new mondeo and thats in a different legue ford are moving the game on a fair lick with the new mondeo infact the changes to the car were going to come with a new name ,
    it was an 11th hour decision to keep the mondeo moniker as it has a reputation for handiling , the vectra does feel a damn site more solid ,
    i crashed mine last year and couldnt think of a better place to be as i flattened a few huge wooden posts and a hedge a passat or mondeo would have disintergrated around me (but ped saftey means the have to)
    i drove my car the 30 miles home afterwards ,
    my biggest gripe is the steering handling of the vectra ,
    it is rubbish and thats putting it very very mildly , great on the motorway rubbish everywhere else spring and damper rates are totaly usless and power steering the weighs up to allmost solid over mid bend bumps ? whats that all about !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    I said this before, Im sorry but I think Mundeos are waaay over-rated.
    All this talk from the press about class leading handling blah, blah..............they are NO different to any other car IMO. I had a 2.0 LX on a new shape Y plate years ago and it was quite fankly dull, ordinary and boring. And the brakes were the worst I'd ever had in a car. Maybe the hotter models are more fun, dont know never been in one.
    When I had mine I test driven a couple of Vec's (testing for next company car) and after driving these Vec's I really didnt want to get back into the dull and boring Mundeo.
    nah , you drive a mondeo and a vectra down a bumpy A/B road and then think to yourself "mmm im in the mood to put me foot down " you will have more fun in the mondeo the steering has more feel and control the same with the suspension , the vectra will understeer like a pig round all the bends and god forbid a mid bend bump that will throw the suspension and steering into a total panic .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 3.2 GSI View Post
    Alright folks,

I am a former GSI owner and find myself back on vec c again looking at vec's and signums yet again. I currently run a Mondeo 1.8 silver which is a so called special edition, its not a bad car but its far too slow. I need something more refined and quicker so I am considering a Signum 3.0 CDTi or a 2.8T design manual, is it worth the extra fuel bills to drive the petrol or should I go for the compromise of the diesel power and decent mpg?
    What sort of mpg do people get from these machines?

Cheers

Mike
    With regards to mpg, for the 3.0 you should see around 42mpg or more on a motorway and around 32-34 around town. Somewhere in between for mixed driving. I think economy is very good given the performance. My prevoius Vec was a 2.2 Direct petrol which I think is the most economical petrol engine you can get in a Vec or Sig and from my experience, the 3.0 still easily beats that on mpg (and performance)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    With regards to mpg, for the 3.0 you should see around 42mpg or more on a motorway and around 32-34 around town. Somewhere in between for mixed driving. I think economy is very good given the performance. My prevoius Vec was a 2.2 Direct petrol which I think is the most economical petrol engine you can get in a Vec or Sig and from my experience, the 3.0 still easily beats that on mpg (and performance)

Sounds like the mpg is pretty decent around the town given the performance. Open road 42mpg impressive!

I'll have to drive the diesel and 2.8T and see if the petrol noise & pace sways me or if I come over all sensible and buy the 3.0CDTi which is still a fairly fast car.

Mike

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 3.2 GSI View Post
    Sounds like the mpg is pretty decent around the town given the performance. Open road 42mpg impressive!

I'll have to drive the diesel and 2.8T and see if the petrol noise & pace sways me or if I come over all sensible and buy the 3.0CDTi which is still a fairly fast car.

Mike
    Yes I've NEVER had any less than 32mpg round town, no matter how I drive it. Guys on here have had more than 42mpg on a run, (when driven sensibly ).
    Dont forget the noise of a 3.0 V6 is nice also, its not all rattle and clatter! It does sound nice when stretched .
    I daresay the 2.8T is a fab engine also. Never really driven one in a Signum. But watch the tax if you buy a 2.8T thats registered after April 06. The tax on that will go up to £400 next year
    Last edited by VectraV6CDTi; 14th August 2007 at 23:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information