Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Rear tyres scrubbing on Signum

Hi all,
    Well I am a little confused??

As you know I lowered my 2003 3.0ltr V6 cdti Signum with a set of G-max 40mm lowering springs, which I bought of another forum member. No problem there. I then fitted a set of genuine vauxhall 19" snowflakes, no problems there. After a couple of months I noticed the rear tyres scrubbing on the inside. I had a look at the rear wheels and they were cambering in quite a bit, probably due to the lowering.
    I noticed that the rear suspension setup was adjustable so I put the camber adjustment to its full setting. The wheels looked a lot more vertical than they were so I thought I would see how it goes. Last weekend I had another look at the rear tyres and they are almost bald on the inside with about 4-5mm tread across the remaining
    Obviously I don't have all the gear to do a FULL 4 wheel alignment at home so I thought I would ring vauxhall. I explained what has been done to the car and could they do a full alignment of the wheels? They said that they do the setup on site but would need the data sheet for the springs to enable them to do it.
    I just spoke to someone at G-max and they said that they don't supply these with the springs. So I said " so does that mean that everyone fitting your springs is running around scrubbing tyres??"

Are vauxhall setting these cars up correctly by the footprint of the tyre?? or are they just after the degree settings for the rear camber/toe so that they can just turn a bolt and hey presto, £100 please ???????
    I would have thought that you don't need any settings other than the standard vauxhall ones. Then they can check the contact areas and set up accordingly???

What does anyone else do after lowering and fitting 19's ????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

(ps all the suspension bushes etc are fine)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think most people on here get a 4 wheel laser alignment after lowering, but, i think they go elsewhere.

and when u altered the camber setting on ure car, u probably knocked the trackin out on the back too, resultin in the wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I lowered my vec 45mm front and back and i run 19" snowflakes and never had a problem. I did get the 4 wheels alignement tracking done and it was only slightly out on one wheel. It drives fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think I will have to look else where other than vauxhall. I get the impression that what they do is to set the adjusting bolts to a specified position irrespective of the actual tyre contact with the road. That to me is not the way of doing things.

I lowered my vec 45mm front and back and i run 19" snowflakes and never had a problem. I did get the 4 wheels alignment tracking done and it was only slightly out on one wheel. It drives fine.
    It is interesting that your vectra needed no adjustment at all?????

When I put the springs and 19's on the wheels were looking like they were angled in quite badly (hence me adjusting them to be more vertical).

when u altered the camber setting on your car, u probably knocked the tracking out on the back too
    I think that altering the camber also alters the track and vice versa. I could be wrong here but I think that if you alter one setting you need to check the others? obviously I haven't got the gear to do that

Anyone know somewhere in or near Blackpool that does the 4 wheel laser alignment. Cant think of anywhere of the top of my head though???

Kev

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

there are 2 off centre bolts on the inner bushes of the bottom two arms on the rear. these alter camber and tracking. adjustin either of these to alter camber or trackin will more than likley change the other setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi carl,
    You are right there are two bolts. I think that you are also right that one alters the other. I wouldnt have thought that altering the camber would have effected the track that much?? Mine is now on FULL camber adjustment to straighten the wheels up (vertical). They still lean in a little. I think that doing this obviously alters the track to

I have just spoken to two places saying that they do 4 wheel laser alignment. Neither of them can help
    They both say that if the camber needs adjusting then there is nothing that they can do.

I might just ring vauxhall blackpool and see what they say. It is a new garage at moorland motors so maybee they have the gear to do it properly??

Kev

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try this chap. Tim Ashton. Hes been setting up rally cars for years with complete new suspension setups. He used to be well into vauxhalls preparing the chasis for the vauxhall works rally cars, but now he deals mainly in mistubishi. I did a tour of his setup a few years back and what he does is in another world. Honestly, if he cant sort it then I doubt no one can.

http://www.btrprep.com/contact.htm

Thread Information