User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Another.... Tyre advice question

  1. #1
    Regular Member Jim Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Widnes, Cheshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Another.... Tyre advice question

    Hello everybody,

    Right, I need 1 new tyre on my front passenger side, also, my car is suffering from severe steering wheel shake between 60 - 70 mph, at all other speeds its fine.

    Do I buy 2 new tyres, put them on the front and get balanced/tracking etc done (is it best to put them on in pairs?) or just the one?

    Also, I've read on here that an alternative tyre size is cheaper and more common for the standard SRi wheels. What size are they and would I see any visible differences in gaps between the wheels and bodywork? Wouldn't want it to look silly on standard SRi suspension. Also, would it affect anything else? i.e handling/etc.

    Thanks in anticipation!

  2. #2
    Regular Member denzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Runcorn
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I'd get two new tyres and put them on the back.

    You can go with 225/45/17 as an alternative size

    Try
    http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

    these guys supplied me with 4 x Goodyear Eagle NCT5's (215/50/17) for about £420 - fully fitted at my house ... Excellent Service

  3. #3
    Regular Member David_SRi_2.2DTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Direct View Post
    Hello everybody,

    Right, I need 1 new tyre on my front passenger side, also, my car is suffering from severe steering wheel shake between 60 - 70 mph, at all other speeds its fine.

    Do I buy 2 new tyres, put them on the front and get balanced/tracking etc done (is it best to put them on in pairs?) or just the one?

    Also, I've read on here that an alternative tyre size is cheaper and more common for the standard SRi wheels. What size are they and would I see any visible differences in gaps between the wheels and bodywork? Wouldn't want it to look silly on standard SRi suspension. Also, would it affect anything else? i.e handling/etc.

    Thanks in anticipation!
    ...I've had my 53 plate SRi now for three weeks, I get judder at the same speed as you. Checked tyre pressures and had the wheels balanced yesterday, but it hasn't solved the problems.

    The dealer put two new tyres on the rear when it was MOT'd prior to me picking it up, not sure if this caused the problem

  4. #4
    Regular Member Jim Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Widnes, Cheshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I've got a friend of a friend who said he will fit, balance and do the tracking for £30. So really, I just need the tyres - but i'll do some shopping around, seems a lot of fannying about to save like £15.

    has anyone fitted the 225 45 R17's - how do they look on the standard Sri alloys?

    thanks

  5. #5
    Regular Member MysteryElite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Somerset
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    There's something like a 2% difference in overall rolling radius I think, so I doubt you would see much of a difference on the car.

    I certainly plan to switch to 225/45 when my current tyres have had it (Elite).

  6. #6
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Direct View Post
    has anyone fitted the 225 45 R17's - how do they look on the standard Sri alloys?
    I've got 215/50R17 on the front and 225/45R17 on the rear
    The fronts are now down to 2mm and 3mm, and will be replaced next weekend

    The current rears, in the photo on the right, will then be swapped to front
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=14
    This photo will let you compare how they look on the rear, before and after

  7. #7
    Full Member Big Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Is a very naughty boy
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    I've got 215/50R17 on the front and 225/45R17 on the rear
    The fronts are now down to 2mm and 3mm, and will be replaced next weekend

    The current rears, in the photo on the right, will then be swapped to front
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=14
    This photo will let you compare how they look on the rear, before and after
    Mine are thwe other way round, 225's on the front. No difference to look at really.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tyre advice
    By david.mann8 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th November 2012, 09:49
  2. Help, tyre damage advice+brakes question
    By GTS in forum Suspension, Wheels & Brakes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th April 2012, 06:58
  3. Tyre Advice
    By lofty in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th April 2008, 19:52
  4. Tyre Advice
    By harveyg77 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th July 2007, 20:52
  5. tyre advice please
    By david-bell in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd September 2006, 18:17

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •