User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it always going to be like this...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Is it always going to be like this...

I've had my Vectra CDTI 120 for two weeks, and yesterday I picked it up from the supplying dealer, as it had had to go back in for a cambelt and to find out why the spanner light kept coming on when I first started it.

As per the suggestion offered up by another poster on here, it turned out to be a problem with the glowplugs throwing the light on.

This evening I've gone to go out in the car and turned the ignition, at which point I heard a pop emanating from somewhere under the dash that suggests a fuse (or worse), has gone, and now when you go to start the car, the glowplug light isn't coming on.

So... what, if anything, has the spanner monkey at the dealers done to cause this???

I'm beginning to wish I'd stuck with VW TDIs, as I had little problems with any of the Golfs / Passats I've had in the past.

That, and they seemed to have a much broader spread of torque, available from lower down the rev range, and this is particularly disappointing given the good things I had read about the Multijet engines.

In a nutshell, I hope things improve as the Vectra is on finance over 2.5 years, and I'm stuck with it for at least the next six months before I can afford to pay it off early and get something else.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You needed the 150 to get the ooompfh factor tbh, the pop might not be anything other than a flap opening, the glowplugs iirc don't have a light, as you don't have to wait for them to warm up, hope it gets better for you soon mate, I know whats it's like when you get let down.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post
    You needed the 150 to get the ooompfh factor tbh, the pop might not be anything other than a flap opening, the glowplugs iirc don't have a light, as you don't have to wait for them to warm up, hope it gets better for you soon mate, I know whats it's like when you get let down.
    It's been showing a glowplug light for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition to 'on' before you crank it over, ever since I've had it... up until when I heard the pop earlier on, so I do think its connected.

And cheers for the sympathy... just a bit annoying when my last car, a Mk3 Golf TDI, had done shedloads more miles and didn't give me any grief like this the whole time I owned it!

As for the oomph... it's not slow by any means (especially since I fitted a Caterman box ), but it seems that whereas my Golf would pull like a train from 1400rpm up to 4,000rpm, this doesn't really get going til 2,000rpm, and it feels like it's tailing off around 3k - still goes well enough, but is quicker if you change up at 3k.

Explains why it needs a six speed box I suppose.

spoons

All cars are luck of the draw....

Even Aston Martin owners get **** ones !!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Steve, yes there is a "glowplug" light on mine (or a pre-heater). This appears on the ignition switch on and goes out, time varying on ambient temperature. On hot summer days like today, it only show for approx 1 seconds then extinguishes. In winter its more like 2 or 3 seconds. Ive had my CDTi for well over a year with no problems. Good luck with yours.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like they have put a short in the wires for the glow plugs and as you say they have blown the fuse. Have you replaced it? It will say in the manual where it is.

As for the power, all the 1.9s are like this low down, one of the reasons I bought the V6!

Oh and what I read about the latest VW engines, they are just as bad, but more expensive!
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    All cars are luck of the draw....

Even Aston Martin owners get **** ones !!
    I've had three Mk3 Golf TDIs, a Mk4 Golf TDI and a B5 Passat TDI... none of them have given me any grief bar the usual stuff like discs warping etc., and the AFM failing on the Mk4 Golf.

If I wasn't tied in by the finance, I'd be looking to out this soon and would go back to a Mk4 Golf!

If it goes back this time and the glowplugs have more problems afterwards, I'm going to insist it goes to the local main dealers to be sorted at the dealer I got it offs' expense.

It's a shame, as the car otherwise is quite nice to live with... if a bit disappointing in the poke vs economy stakes.

I'm taking it on its first big run this weekend, so will either retract the above or whinge even more about the economy, once we get back

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Whats wrong with the economy? You should be getting 50+ on a long run. I got 45 today on my V6 diesel on a 120 mile 70mph run.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Astrase20 View Post
    Sounds like they have put a short in the wires for the glow plugs and as you say they have blown the fuse. Have you replaced it? It will say in the manual where it is.

As for the power, all the 1.9s are like this low down, one of the reasons I bought the V6!

Oh and what I read about the latest VW engines, they are just as bad, but more expensive!
    Not yet... I'm at my dads, abusing his net access at the mo.

I'll check it in the morning.

Is the fuse box under the steering column - the pop I heard definitely sounded like it came from there.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A 150 is a different animal tbh, I've got a 130 VW unit in my Skoda, she gives an almost instant kick but the 150 loaner I had had so much more when you needed a legoff at 70mph.

If the light is out you could check the fuses to see if ones blown, have a look in the owners book it'll tell you which one, frustrating I know but as said above VW 2.0 Diesels are not very well behaved right now, it's the geenies fault insisting on all this anti pollution gear to be fitted.

Behind a panel in the dash as you open the door on the side, or in the boot behind the NSR trim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information