Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fuel

I know there have been numerous threads posted on different fuels but i have a strange question on this subject.

Last week we went to Scotland, up in the highlands, i filled the tank with BP ultimate diesel the night before we left, and the TC said approx 390 miles.

when we stopped in Scotland (god knows where) we filled up again but this time with Esso bog standard diesel, but this time the TC said approx 490 miles

filled up twice while on holiday at Esso stations using there bog standard diesel and both times ended up in the high 400s or low 500s, strange i thought, maybe its the long run the car needed and now it might settle down to a better mpg, on the way home i filled up with BP bog standard diesel again, low and behold............380 miles on the TC

now i thought maybe it was either running better on the esso or the air in Scotland is much smoother so the car glides easier and drinks less fuel, but yesterday morning i was on the way to my advanced bike lesson and needed to fill up, i stopped at the first fuel station i saw and it turned out to be Esso, i stuck £14 in the tank as usual when the light shows up, i ALWAYS get between 120/140 mile to a tank full no matter how i ride it

BUT.............i got 170 miles yesterday............so what the hell is going on?

is Esso actually giving you the full amoun tof fuel you pay for and all the others keeping a certain percentage back for themselves? or is there another valid reason

very VERY slightly confused

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmmm, the only way to really tell what fuel consumption you get is to calculate litres added over a good few fill ups, to avoid any glitches.

I am sure it is nothing to do with volume delivered as weights and measures (is it trading standards now?) are hot on pump delivery and they are regularly and randomly checked.

can't explain it, but you can be sure that someone on here will!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile can't help with the car

I am sure that the reason for the Bike's increase in range is the Advanced training. The riding technics you should be learning should be about smoothness combined with safe progress. This should minimise fuel consumption + wear & tear but will also increase enjoyment.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by chief29 View Post
    I am sure that the reason for the Bike's increase in range is the Advanced training. The riding technics you should be learning should be about smoothness combined with safe progress. This should minimise fuel consumption + wear & tear but will also increase enjoyment.
    I agree 100% with that, but ive been doing the course for a few months now, and never got anywhere near that amount of miles. only wish the Esso stations where a bit closer to me, maybe i can convince the other half we need to move to Scotland hehehe

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The vx trip computer is fairly accurate if it's not boxed or mapped. The range will always return on how the car is driven over the last 20 miles. When I did my trip to Nottingham last week, didn't go over 65 and returned 48mpg and when i filled up I had a range of 670. Over the weekend I have been tearing around, not hammering it but on the other hand not being easy and filled up yesterday and it returned 346 but mpg of 30. Fuel make doesn't make a great deal. The premium fuels do make it run better but would be dubious of the increased mpg. If you are going to use premium to get a difference in performance you must use it all the time, the odd tank here and there will have no effect. I use premium because of all the new components want to protect them as much as possible and have found that Total is one of the cheapest, Shell next then BP is usually the dearest. As I travel the country I use www.petrolprices.com to see where to go and fill up next.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the 1.8 VVT Signum and was using Shell V Power and the car was returning appx 26-28 mpg.
    When I went to fill up the other day they had sold out so I used standard unleaded and the car is now doing 30-31 mpg!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by willc01 View Post
    As I travel the country I use www.petrolprices.com to see where to go and fill up next.

thats a bleedin good site mate, very usefull, ive bookmarked that

Thread Information