User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Complete Amateur Polishing/Waxing Advice.

  1. #1
    Regular Member BigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Complete Amateur Polishing/Waxing Advice.

    With Trax almost upon us, i think i better make an effort and Clean/Polish the car, however, i dont know where to start!!

    Whats the best stuff to use to clean a Sapphire Black SRi by hand, i dont have a Porter Cable, so it will be all Elbow Grease?

    I have read that Meguiars stuff is good, but hard by hand. Is this true??

    Any help/info gratefully recieved, as i dont want to look out of place at Trax!

  2. #2
    Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    60 Degrees North !!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The meguires 1,2,3 system is easy to aply by hand and makes a great job of sapphire black. Also after you have washed it treat it to a claying befora the 1,2,3 .. also Megs and available from halfrauds ...

  3. #3
    Regular Member BigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    The meguires 1,2,3 system is easy to aply by hand and makes a great job of sapphire black. Also after you have washed it treat it to a claying befora the 1,2,3 .. also Megs and available from halfrauds ...
    Cheers mate, whats the best things to put it on with, Applicator Pads, MicroFibre cloth or something else??

  4. #4
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Failsworth, Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you have both matey, use the applicator pads to apply the stages and microfibres cloths to take off.

    As Bainie said, go and get the Meguairs Clay kit for Halfrauds and do it after the wash.

    Process -

    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Stages 1, 2 and 3
    Not forgetting alloys, tyre dressing and glass.

  5. #5
    Regular Member BigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    If you have both matey, use the applicator pads to apply the stages and microfibres cloths to take off.

    As Bainie said, go and get the Meguairs Clay kit for Halfrauds and do it after the wash.

    Process -

    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Stages 1, 2 and 3
    Not forgetting alloys, tyre dressing and glass.
    Cheers Pal,

    Thats what i needed, an idiots guide to car polishing.

    One last question, does the car need to be wet when its clayed, or can it be done dry??

  6. #6
    Regular Member simac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm reading this with interest as my car is getting desprate for a good clean.

    I have read alot about claying, but how do you actually apply it ?

  7. #7
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Failsworth, Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMan77 View Post
    Cheers Pal,

    Thats what i needed, an idiots guide to car polishing.

    One last question, does the car need to be wet when its clayed, or can it be done dry??
    Don't ever apply the clay bar to a panel when the panel is dry dude. The Clay kit comes with a detailing spray that is your lubricant for the clay bar.

    Spray about a 12" square on the panel and then rub the clay bar in straight lines lightly until it glides over the paint with ease. Make sure to constantly keep the paintwork lubricated with the spray. The spray you get in the kit should be all gone after you've finished a Vectra C.

    One other thing, when the clay bar is dirty fold it inwards so the dirt stays inside the bar. If you drop the bar on the floor you shouldn't really use it again as it could have stones and dirt in it off the floor. Also keep the clay bar at hand temperature and don't let it go cold. If need be stop and place it in between your hands and get it warm again.

    Hope this helps.
    Alex

  8. #8
    Regular Member BigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Don't ever apply the clay bar to a panel when the panel is dry dude. The Clay kit comes with a detailing spray that is your lubricant for the clay bar.

    Spray about a 12" square on the panel and then rub the clay bar in straight lines lightly until it glides over the paint with ease. Make sure to constantly keep the paintwork lubricated with the spray. The spray you get in the kit should be all gone after you've finished a Vectra C.

    One other thing, when the clay bar is dirty fold it inwards so the dirt stays inside the bar. If you drop the bar on the floor you shouldn't really use it again as it could have stones and dirt in it off the floor. Also keep the clay bar at hand temperature and don't let it go cold. If need be stop and place it in between your hands and get it warm again.

    Hope this helps.
    Alex

    Thanks for that Alex, much appreciated.

    I now have my idiots guide to Car Polishing,

    I will post pictures in the Near future of "An idiots attempt at Car Polishing"!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Advice re polishing..
    By nikroc in forum Detailing and Car Care Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14th July 2011, 12:41
  2. Polishing/waxing
    By KC in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st July 2008, 16:39
  3. what to use when waxing/polishing
    By vectragsi3.2 in forum Detailing and Car Care Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th June 2008, 22:17
  4. Polishing advice
    By Matty H in forum Detailing and Car Care Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th November 2006, 00:12
  5. Polishing&Waxing a new car
    By hsmeets in forum Detailing and Car Care Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th June 2006, 21:43

Visitors found this page by searching for:

idiots guide to car polish and waxing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •