Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tyre Advice

Hi all,

My Signum currently runs 215/50r17 Gy NCT5. This size is very poor for tyre options. I want a good grippy tyre that will give some sensible mileage, oh and have a rim protector. Only real choice is the Pirelli P7, Bridgestone ER300 or Michelin Primacy HP. I am quite an anorak and will spend quite a while studting patterns to determine the 'best' for my needs. Really I am looking at the P7, but not sure abut Pirelli.

My other option is to go for an alternative size, such as 225/45r17 (had this on an Astra Design turbo), far more choice and a bit cheaper. I only want a good quality branded tyre, not a budget tyre.

My ideal tyre is the Gy Hydragrip. I prefer directionals and Asymetricals. Anybody got any proper experience of the tyres as used on theri won vehicles?

Also what issues are associated with going for a 225/45r17 over the 215/50r17? i.e. I know that the rolling radius reduces, which will over-read the speedo slighty, this will lowe the gearing slighty as one rev of the engine will produce less turns of the wheel. So how much difference does this make to the rev's when cruising at say 70 and the economy?

Thanks in advance,
    Harvey

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Focus

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 1.6 TDCI

Year : 62

Mileage : 9K

Most people have changed their tyres to 225/45/17 including me. I prefer the michelin pilot primacy extra load 94v with rim protecter.
    These are a hard wearing compound and last a long while. There is a website tyretraders.com which compares difference in speedo relative to original and non original size. It does make the speedo over read by about 2 mph roughly.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the goodyear hydragrip is a cracking tyre, it's took over from the G/Y Eagle F1...

i'd recommed either of these goodyears without any hesitation..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

raham, I see you're based around Macclesfield. I have been over the Cat n Fiddle probably weekly for the past ten years, though in the last year its dropped down to about a dozen times only. Superb route from Belper up the A6, up Via Gellia (B5012?), A515, through Harper quarry, C&F, then cross country to Knutsford, onto the M6 and then either Warington, Blackpool, Lakes or Glasgow/Scotland. Second only to my route from Derby up the M1, through Bradford and X country to J36 M6 and down to Barrow docks.

Cheers H

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by harveyg77 View Post
    Hi all,

My Signum currently runs 215/50r17 Gy NCT5. This size is very poor for tyre options. I want a good grippy tyre that will give some sensible mileage, oh and have a rim protector. Only real choice is the Pirelli P7, Bridgestone ER300 or Michelin Primacy HP. I am quite an anorak and will spend quite a while studting patterns to determine the 'best' for my needs. Really I am looking at the P7, but not sure abut Pirelli.

My other option is to go for an alternative size, such as 225/45r17 (had this on an Astra Design turbo), far more choice and a bit cheaper. I only want a good quality branded tyre, not a budget tyre.

My ideal tyre is the Gy Hydragrip. I prefer directionals and Asymetricals. Anybody got any proper experience of the tyres as used on theri won vehicles?

Also what issues are associated with going for a 225/45r17 over the 215/50r17? i.e. I know that the rolling radius reduces, which will over-read the speedo slighty, this will lowe the gearing slighty as one rev of the engine will produce less turns of the wheel. So how much difference does this make to the rev's when cruising at say 70 and the economy?

Thanks in advance,
    Harvey
    Im using Dunlops on my Signum, 215 size, i get 44mpg at 70mph on the motorway, thats using a 3.0 CDti V6

Thread Information