User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSi Vs Sri Buying advice required please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default GSi Vs Sri Buying advice required please!

Hey

Just discovered these forums and i gotta say you guys have some impressive cars out there!

Im looking for a bit of advice please so hopefully you'll be able to help. Ive recently sold a w-plate sxi and am bout to go shopping for its replacement but i cant decide between a 2.2 sri or the 3.2 gsi.

Im 27 with plenty no claims so insurance isnt really an issue. At first i dismissed the gsi cos of the engine size and petrol costs but the more i think about it i realised that i only drive the car socially or at weekends as i walk to work so im not going to be doing a huge mileage. as a result perhaps the bigger engine wouldnt be as much of a problem.

Ive found that 2nd hand gsi's are fairly cheap (many bargains to be honest) and the difference in price between the sri and the gsi isnt as much as id have thought.

What im basically wondering from all you guys that have driven or have owned both is... Is the extra toys and performance you get from the gsi worth the extra cash? Are the running costs totally over the top? Basically which one would you go for?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hey there. Dont really fancy a diesel (dont ask!!).

From the looking around ive done both cars are in plentyful supply for less than £10K which is fine. Im not bothered at all about the number plate so the age of the car isnt a problem. Just want the best car for my cash!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks mate!

To be honest its the gsi that im wanting really, just trying to justify it!!! Been on the autotrader website and theres some nice ones around right enough although if you check my location picking one up is a slight problem! fortunately i will be round glasgow and edinburgh for a while soon so hope to do a bit of shopping then!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well again it comes down to what you are going to use the car for. If you are going to do a lot of motorway miles then id go for the gsi. Although both will deliver you at your destination without any problems, i think the gsi is a little more relaxed on the motorway.

If you do a lot of country lane driving then i'd plump for the Sri which is a little more spritely around the lanes than the GSi.

As for 'best car' well im suprised you found a GSI under 10K. It must be a very erly model, ie 2002 02? while the sri's can be picked up for under 7K now the GSi is holding its value a fraction better. Equipment levels they are virtually identical apart from the addition of 1/2 leather in the GSi.

Looks wise, i prefer the Sri, as i dont think they got the GSi's wheels sporty enough.

On a similar note to abyss, there are more alternatives than the 2.2 or Gsi. If you dont fancy a 1.9 cdti, have you thought about the 2.0T? which is a nice step up perfromance wise from the 2.2 but still manages some decent MPG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for the reply andy.

Yeah the 2.0T would def be a consideration too but they seem harder to come by. My location is really the problem in that respect!

There does seem to be quite a few gsi under £10K, probably early models but it still amazes me that you can get a £21,000 car down in that price in just a few years. Theres no motorways up here at all so maybe that sways me back towards the Sri! Grrr! decisions decisions.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks very much for that, much appreciated.

Will have to start browsing again!!

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Question

Welcom to the site Jam. I have a 2.2 sri in star silver and my mate has the GSI in star silver too. I have to say mate there's no contest, the GSI wins hands down! He's got all the bell's and whistles, colour sat nav, full leather, climat control and then there's that engine! One thing that the sri does have over it is the wheels, although I think the GSI rims look good on darker cars. What ever you choose there both a great drive.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have 2.2 sri and have driven the 3.2 gsi and i have to say i'd get the gsi if i was buying again. 2.2 is a good engine but you need to work it ti let the power show. the v6 is lurvely nice sound from it. only thing i weighed up was that the 2.2 is lighter so i find the handling a wee bit better than the v6 i drove due to less weight at front, and 2.2 is a more maintenence free engine i've heard (timing chain as oposed to belt ) so that could be a consideration. If going for a 2.2 get the late 04 model direct engine. more powerful and better economy +dual exit exhaust
    I would go for gsi though myself or a 2.0 t if you can find one

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    On a similar note to abyss, there are more alternatives than the 2.2 or Gsi. If you dont fancy a 1.9 cdti, have you thought about the 2.0T? which is a nice step up perfromance wise from the 2.2 but still manages some decent MPG?
    I'd suggest going for a 2.0T SRi, get it remapped (I know one that fits the bill nicely!!! ) and you have the lighter car/front end that is nippier on country roads - but with the performance of a GSi!!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Go the 3.2 V6. Absolute blo@dy pearler mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information