Thread: Rear Interior Light - Am I a Chicken

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Rear Interior Light - Am I a Chicken

I unscrewed the grab handle and took the roof liner away from the seals as per the How 2 but the liner did not just come away as I imagined.

It felt like it was stuck to the roof of the car and I didn't want to pull it too hard just in case it was.

Should I just pull and not be a chicken and all will be well.

Cheers

Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On mine, across the back (in front of the hatchback) the roof lining was fastened to the roof of the car with velcro pads. Just pull it away - sounds like you're tearing something it's worth persisting.but pull
    The difference this light makes is vast - it's the most worthwhile mod I've done to the car.
    Don't worry about creases in the headlining as you pull it about - they all disappear almost as soon as you refit it.
    Do be careful though when you release the wiring from the white tape - looks fragile!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am thinking about doing this mod but I am put off a bit by having to remove the headlinig.

Is it worth doing? and has anybody any tips they have found out whilst doing it?

Cheers in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There are 3 or 4 hefty velcro type pads across the rear... just needs a good tug to release them.

Don't worry too much about creasing the head liner a little, the creases all disappear after a week or so.

This mod is well worth doing if you wanna improve the lighting in the back of your vec... don't be shy.... the worst that can happen is you get a bit over enthusiastic with the stanley knife and cut through the ribbon cable for the light (mentioning no names - Paul - )

It took me about 20 minutes overall to do the rear light, and about the same again to upgrade the front lights to the one with map lights (and a button in the front to control the rear light!) and I'm well pleased with both.
    Last edited by Jamie; 21st October 2005 at 12:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just two things:
    1) Be ever so careful when you unstick the ribbon cable, which is taped down with white tape on the LH side, near the rear grab handle. It's difficult to see 'till you've pulled the lining down a fair bit.
    2) Make a cardboard template that you can tape to the roof lining. I found the roof lining very easy to cut with a stanley knife but it was very difficult to shave the edges to make the hole bigger. Easiest way is to use an accurate template and get a nice clean cut (first time). you need some decent wide sellotape as the ordinary stuff (and masking tape) will not stick!
    Good look,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-SRidirect
    2) Make a cardboard template that you can tape to the roof lining. I found the roof lining very easy to cut with a stanley knife but it was very difficult to shave the edges to make the hole bigger. Easiest way is to use an accurate template and get a nice clean cut (first time). you need some decent wide sellotape as the ordinary stuff (and masking tape) will not stick!
    Good look,
    Doug
    Top tip that Doug.. another good idea if you are nervous about cutting the head lining is to have a trial run cutting around your template, through some corrugated cardboard, and seeing if the light fits.... that way you have the chance to get the template spot on before even cutting anything expensive, and remove the risk of the whole being too big and not holding the light!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie1979
    It took me about 20 minutes overall to do the rear light, and about the same again to upgrade the front lights to the one with map lights (and a button in the front to control the rear light!) and I'm well pleased with both.
    Jamie,

Is the front light really simple to do as well then, is it just a case of taking out the old and putting in the new.

Do you have part numbers and approx prices for the map lights and control button

Cheers

Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The light unit comes with the button already fitted - its the 4 button map light unit, as opposed the the 3 button unit (which just controls the front courtesy light and map lights)..... I think I have the invoice in my garage so I'll get you the part numbers this afternoon, as for the price I think they are about £20-£25.

Very easy to fit, just 2 screws and remove the old unit, detach the alarm sensors and replace them on the new unit, swap the ribbon cable plug to the new unit and "bobs your mothers brother"!!

The other plus with the upgraded front lights is that all 4 of the buttons illuminate when the headlights are on..... look pretty cool like the overhead switches in a helicopter or something!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Flippin 'eck!! Glad mine came with rear light installed!

Professional Trader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC
    Flippin 'eck!! Glad mine came with rear light installed!
    Was you in your uniform when you bought your car? as you seem to have every extra as standard...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information