Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Newbie question, lots of work needs doing :(

Hey Guys,

I bought my second hand signum two weeks ago and just took it in for its 30k service and have had a quote of £1500 for the work that needs doing! Obviously this is from Vaux and I have no intention of having them do the work becuase thats just too much!

Its a 3.0 cdti with 33k miles on it and it needs:

new front tyres(£370- lol whatever), disks and pads (£326)
    osr road spring
    nsr shock (leaking)
    osf spring
    nsr control arm bushes worn

Vaux say that both springs have to come in a pair (£254 x 2pair) as do the bushings (£157) and shocks (£170.61).
    Obviously I am a bit concerned on a 30k car that these have gone (the springs have actually snapped!) but as I bought private I will have to cough up the $$ and in fairness it could have just been a dodgy speed bump!

Anyway sorry, my question is: What parts should I get? I might as well chuck some decent gear in there while I am getting it done but I am niave as to whats worth doing!
    I drive 100miles a day and not to hard but whats going to make the ride a bit nicer?

I've read a bit and people seem to like the F1 tyres but I might go for something a little cheaper... apparently it has 245/50/r17's on it but I had assumed it would be 225/50 but then I am clueless

but what springs, disks pads etc? Just OEM pads and disks? or will these set me back the quoted £326?
    Last edited by Adamdavi3s; 6th July 2007 at 10:14.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Am sure you can get a "disk and pad" kit from vx for about £80, then just fit them yourself. There are kits on ebay at the moment for about £65 but you will have to check the part numbers.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Vauxha...QQcmdZViewItem

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavi3s View Post
    Hey Guys,

I bought my second hand signum two weeks ago and just took it in for its 30k service and have had a quote of £1500 for the work that needs doing! Obviously this is from Vaux and I have no intention of having them do the work becuase thats just too much!

Its a 3.0 cdti with 33k miles on it and it needs:

new front tyres(£370- lol whatever), disks and pads (£326)
    osr road spring
    nsr shock (leaking)
    osf spring
    nsr control arm bushes worn

Vaux say that both springs have to come in a pair (£254 x 2pair) as do the bushings (£157) and shocks (£170.61).
    Obviously I am a bit concerned on a 30k car that these have gone (the springs have actually snapped!) but as I bought private I will have to cough up the $$ and in fairness it could have just been a dodgy speed bump!

Anyway sorry, my question is: What parts should I get? I might as well chuck some decent gear in there while I am getting it done but I am niave as to whats worth doing!
    I drive 100miles a day and not to hard but whats going to make the ride a bit nicer?

I've read a bit and people seem to like the F1 tyres but I might go for something a little cheaper... apparently it has 245/50/r17's on it but I had assumed it would be 225/50 but then I am clueless

but what springs, disks pads etc? Just OEM pads and disks? or will these set me back the quoted £326?
    I bought a whole suspension kit from LMF for £325, thats Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks. I really rate it, although its only been fitted for a day. What i would say though, is that LMF were a bit pricey on the shock's, as they charged me £40 each for them, wherea's i foud out after, that Euro Car Parts charge £29 each for identical shocks.

I am sure others will be along with more advice soon, although it could be Sunday as a fair few are at Billing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the info chaps, I'm nto so up on technical stuff!

I think I'll go for the Eibach Bilstein combo (although shocks are now 46-49)

where and what bushings would you suggest?

I've decided on eagle f1's and just the OEM breaking kit
    Last edited by Adamdavi3s; 8th July 2007 at 13:56. Reason: poor spelling!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan77 View Post
    I bought a whole suspension kit from LMF for £325, thats Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks. I really rate it, although its only been fitted for a day. What i would say though, is that LMF were a bit pricey on the shock's, as they charged me £40 each for them, wherea's i foud out after, that Euro Car Parts charge £29 each for identical shocks.

I am sure others will be along with more advice soon, although it could be Sunday as a fair few are at Billing.
    Erm.....how did they come to that price, BigMan77? IIRC the eibach spring set is £135, shocks 4 x £40 = 160, £135 + £160 = £295.....

About your shocks - they're right to only replace in pairs, it's a safety thing. But Bilstein and Eibach are both good quality brands, I'm sure that setup will be very nice. I've only got the springs for now, as and when the shocks wear out i'll consider my options again. The Vx price for the brakes is extortionate - if you order and pay yourself at the parts counter they're about £70 or £80 for an axle set of discs and pads.

Bushes....no idea, sorry!
    Last edited by parapaul; 8th July 2007 at 17:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm I'm only finding the shocks for £46+

How much is it likely to effect my insurance????

Also another newbie question (I thought I would add it here rather than start yet another thread!) which part of the vin tells me the colour? It used to be obvious on older cars..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

bottom row of the black chassis plate on the drivers door pillar will give you the colour and the trim code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
    Erm.....how did they come to that price, BigMan77? IIRC the eibach spring set is £135, shocks 4 x £40 = 160, £135 + £160 = £295.....

About your shocks - they're right to only replace in pairs, it's a safety thing. But Bilstein and Eibach are both good quality brands, I'm sure that setup will be very nice. I've only got the springs for now, as and when the shocks wear out i'll consider my options again. The Vx price for the brakes is extortionate - if you order and pay yourself at the parts counter they're about £70 or £80 for an axle set of discs and pads.

Bushes....no idea, sorry!
    Fronts were £44.10 each, rears were £41.40 each, and the springs were £144.95 and then £8 carriage. To be honest with you, tonight is the forst time i looked at the invoice properly, i hadnt bothered up ti now!

I have to say the handling of my car has been transformed with the Eibach/Bilstein setup, i would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm I think that the Eibach/Bilstein combo is the way forward.... might have to call the insurance company this evening and see how much they will rip me for!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavi3s View Post
    Hmm I think that the Eibach/Bilstein combo is the way forward.... might have to call the insurance company this evening and see how much they will rip me for!
    I dont see the need to tell them about the suspension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information