Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Wheel Bearings

Can anyone help, after looking through all the threads about humming sounds from the wheels to try and find what it is Iam quite lost, Ive got a humming sound from my near side rear wheel and i dont know if its a bearing or camber or tyre noise. Does anyone know how i can check for any signs to tell me what it might be? How do you tell if its a bearing? It seems a lot of people have this problem and i took it to the garage a while ago and he said it was tyre noise but iam worried in case its dangerous. Forgot to say its more noisy on smoother roads if that makes any sense. thanks to you all.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

there is no real way to describe it in the written word that easily conveys the difference..loud howling noise, that worsens when you load the bearing ( by turning in that direction) is bearing noise..speed related low hum is tyres...with these new bearings there is no 'freeplay' to check for, they are designed not to rock..so it's just down to how they 'feel' and the noise they are making, and only experience will be the judge of which it is....

it's time to take it to a freindly garage, but be warned, the rear bearings are £70 on ebay for copies or from VX they are £140+vat each...plus fitting on both ( they should cahrge for about an hours work even though it takes only 20 mins a side.)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had exactly the same problem (3.2 V6 Elite) I took it to a garage thinking the noise was a rear bearing failure only to be told there was nothing wrong with them. The mechanic blamed tyre noise, although to look at them and tread that was left, they looked fine.

The noise coming from the rear was pretty awful so I took the plunge and changed the rears. The tyres that were on were still the original from new and the tyre guy reckoned they had just aged and gone hard.

New tyres fitted and guess what, noise gone. It was that simple.

Just for info, I replaced the rears to match what the previous owner had put on the fronts, Nankang NS2 (215,50,17) Seem an ok tyre. £57 each from my tyres and fitted for £15 each by my local fitter. £144 the pair, not bad.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Ash View Post
    I had exactly the same problem (3.2 V6 Elite) I took it to a garage thinking the noise was a rear bearing failure only to be told there was nothing wrong with them. The mechanic blamed tyre noise, although to look at them and tread that was left, they looked fine.

The noise coming from the rear was pretty awful so I took the plunge and changed the rears. The tyres that were on were still the original from new and the tyre guy reckoned they had just aged and gone hard.

New tyres fitted and guess what, noise gone. It was that simple.

Just for info, I replaced the rears to match what the previous owner had put on the fronts, Nankang NS2 (215,50,17) Seem an ok tyre. £57 each from my tyres and fitted for £15 each by my local fitter. £144 the pair, not bad.
    Yes, Ive got loads of tyre tread on mine too, I also read on here that someone said change front to rear, so i did that and the noise went much quieter for about 2 weeks but its back now. Like gsi3.2 said, it doesnt go noiser when i turn. Did you find it was more noisey on smooth roads?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dawn brown View Post
    Yes, Ive got loads of tyre tread on mine too, I also read on here that someone said change front to rear, so i did that and the noise went much quieter for about 2 weeks but its back now. Like gsi3.2 said, it doesnt go noiser when i turn. Did you find it was more noisey on smooth roads?
    More noticable rather than noisier, I guess because on smoother roads there is less road noise from the other wheels, so the offending tyre seems louder

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im having the same noise problem and the stealers said it was uneven tyrewear. i checked the wear using a callibrated treadwear indicator(i'm a qualified vehicle inspector for the police) and found 0.5 mm difference between tyres. i told the stealers this and they said that there mechanic was happy with the diagnosis and that they werent prepared to check any further. my car has what appear to be original goodyear eagle nct's 215/55/16 and is a 53 plate signum. tyre hardening does sound like a valid reason though. im thinking of trying something with a softer compound i.e. brigestone potenza. my brother in law has these on his A4 and they seem v.good. Did you know there was a recall for some veccy's and sigs due to the hardening process on the rear hub assembly being inferior?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tonypc1 View Post
    im having the same noise problem and the stealers said it was uneven tyrewear. i checked the wear using a callibrated treadwear indicator(i'm a qualified vehicle inspector for the police) and found 0.5 mm difference between tyres. i told the stealers this and they said that there mechanic was happy with the diagnosis and that they werent prepared to check any further. my car has what appear to be original goodyear eagle nct's 215/55/16 and is a 53 plate signum. tyre hardening does sound like a valid reason though. im thinking of trying something with a softer compound i.e. brigestone potenza. my brother in law has these on his A4 and they seem v.good. Did you know there was a recall for some veccy's and sigs due to the hardening process on the rear hub assembly being inferior?
    I have yokohama parada 215/40/17 what are they like?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yokohamas are usually a soft compound but ive never heard of parada's.

Thread Information