Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default how 2 fit parking sensors

My first go at a how 2 on this forum.

Purchased a set of £16.99 rear parking sensors from ebay, came next day and looked a great bit of kit so decided to fit em today as the weather was so nice.

Here is the kit laid out on some lovely old curtains I used to lie on while under the car.

DSCF0195.JPG

I used these tools plus a very handy pick up flexi grabber from the £ shop, it was worth its weight in gold for pulling all the wires up from the bumper, would be very hard without one - youd have to use a coat hanger and keep taping wires to it. Go and get one... you will also need a few basic tools plus a drill..

DSCF0186 (2).JPG

First things first then, Tested the kit by rigging it to a 12v +ve and earth, all working - Dont want to start drilling holes in the car for nothing !

You need to identify the +ve wire on the bundle that feeds the rear lights that powers the reversing light. Use the side where your going to hide the black box behind the cubby hole. Remove the rear light cluster on the side you are going to be fitting the unit - then re attach it so you can see which bulbs are on. With the key in the ignition in position 2 select reverse (obviously dont start the car if you are on your own) and have a look which bulb is on. Shouldn't be necessary really but better safe than sorry. Once the lens is off its easy to turn a bulb cluster upside down and think you have the right wire, test it to be sure.

DSCF0185 (2).JPG

Every bulb has 2 metal paths going to it, one is common to every bulb - this is the earth, the other is the live. Trace the live back and see what pin it goes to then check what colour wire goes to that pin. You may have to cut back the binding around the loom to split the wires so you can get to the one you want then you are ready to connect the power supply for your unit.

[IMG]file:///F:/DOCUME%7E1/Rob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG] DSCF0191.JPG

I used a Halfords own scoth lock - they are ok as long as you line the wires up properly. They simply slip over the wire you are going to tap into and your new wire and when you squeeze them shut they make the connection. Do the same on the common earth wire or run an earth to any suitable metal body part.

DSCF0188 (2).JPG

The single female connector next to the scotch lock I was going to use to bridge the fog lamp from off side to near side, I hate having only 1 working fog. I did this while I was at it but will do another how 2 if there is sufficient demand.

Then the really scary part, the kit came with a very neat 21mm hole saw, I tried it on a piece of old hardboard and it was a spot on fit for the sensors - so hear goes drilling the bumper..

DSCF0204.JPG

DSCF0203.JPG

Nice neat hole, the kit comes with washers larger on one side than the other to help overcome curves in the bumper. Fit the washer then pass the wire through the hole and fit the 1st sensor. Pic shows 2 done - note the wires hanging out by the exhaust.

DSCF0207.JPG

Repeat this for the other sensors making sure you space them out evenly. Measure twice and drill once unless you have a handy supply of spare ready painted bumpers at your disposal.

Once all 4 were in place and I looked at rooting the wires back into behind the rear light cluster where I was planning to fit the box I thought 4 wires might push the back light cluster out slightly so I drilled an extra hole back into the car. I used a 10mm bit but it was very tight - use a 12mm if you have one. You need to paint the freshly drilled hole to prevent corrosion.

DSCF0202.JPG

I drilled this right at the bottom of where the cluster goes so the wires wont push the light unit out, I siliconed it up once all the wires were in to stop water ingress, I didnt have a 10mm grommet to stop the wires chaffing so I used a bit of insulation tape to bind them once they were all passed though the hole.

While the paint was drying time to mount the speaker, I read a thread from someone who fitted it in the boot saying they had to turn the radio off to hear it so I figured the side of the parcel shelf would be a good place to mount it. The kit comes with some really strong scotch sticky pads, firm enough to mount the box in the rear cubby and the speaker. I drilled a 6mm hole through the side plastic, kept it tight so I had to trim the pre fitted white connector to get it through but I didnt want a big hole in the rear panel.

DSCF0211.JPG

You can see the seat belt in the top right if it help you scale the speaker, its very small.

Time to join all the wires to the black box ...

DSCF0199.JPG

Then just stick it in place behind the panel ...

DSCF0208.JPG

And close it up ...

DSCF0209.JPG

Test it by reversing towards a small child, if it beeps before you hit the child it works, If you hit the child re check your wiring then repeat.

The finished job looks every bit as good as the £150 option the dealer offered me, and it is loud enough - maybe a bit too loud for your passenger, but hey - better than a bumper scrape.

DSCF0206.JPG

The top 2 circles are the sensors, bottom is the towing eye cover.

Thanks for viewing.

[IMG]file:///F:/DOCUME%7E1/Rob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 110000

Do you not get any probs with the bulb check?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No why would you ? Bulb check is for circuit continuity, the circuit isnt broken it now feeds 2 sources. The sensors used only a tiny current - these units are fitted by loads of dealers ranging from £150 to £300 depending on how rich you look.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Rob, superb how to and a nice neat installation. If you have no gremlins with the kit, I 'll have to order one, print this off, and get drilling. and no need to remove the bumper.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone know why the pics dont run in with text ? Maybe admin could fix it for me ?? spent ages typing that, much better if pics were in order - what did I do wrong ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

People in the past have had tiny chirps from the speaker as the bulb check sends tiny pulses through the system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

excellent how2 rob.........can they be fitted to splitters lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no too low down, you would get a signal from the ground. Need to be between 12" to 18" (300 - 450mm) from the ground ideally.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

does the kit come with a template of where to drill the holes? or did you just measure them out the same on each side?
    looks like a great piece of kit, and for less then 25 quid you cant really go wrong

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie View Post
    does the kit come with a template of where to drill the holes? or did you just measure them out the same on each side?
    looks like a great piece of kit, and for less then 25 quid you cant really go wrong
    If you want to go the hole hog, you can take the bumper off and there are marks on the back of it as to where to drill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information