User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust emission light on - dealer advises new gearbox? - is that right??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Exhaust emission light on - dealer advises new gearbox? - is that right??

Hi,

My Vectra 2002 2.2 Elegance emissions control light is on permanently and the auto gearbox is in limp mode.

The Vauxhall dealer has advised a new gearbox after fitting an input sensor (diaged by their plug in equipment - but not solved the issue). They have suggested that water is in the gearbox but are not sure - experience tells them? They have also mentioned the oil cooler as being suspect but when challenged can give me no evidence to support this.

An independant garage has advised that it may be something else but I need to pay for a second opinion (already £200 out of pocket).

Does anyone have any experiences like this with Vauxhall as my breakdown warranty will not cover this issue unless the gearbox is first stripped landing me with a massive labour bill and an unuseable gearbox?

Regards,

Dave.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There's been a fair bit about the auto boxes on the forums. Have a look at this as it sounds similar (http://vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25974).

You should be able to tell from the Auto fluid if there is water in it - from what I have read elsewhere it would look like strawberry milkshake if it has (as opposed to dark read/near black).

Water in it would screw the box, but as it's related to a recall you may get somewhere with Vx - worth a try anyway. It sounds a bit like the Vx dealer is trying to pull a fast one here - they should know this is a known problem on early auto boxes, what causes it and whether your car has had the recall work done.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thx for the reply.

I had spent ages reading that post and others related but the trouble is I cannot see the transmission fluid as it is in a really awkward place - the dealer first topped up the fluid thinking that was what was causing the issue. Although my car falls between 02 - 04 it does not fall under the vin & gearbox types.

Interestingly there has been no comment from them about checking any fluid for contamination which is another reason I am concerned about their diags - especially after what I have read on this forum.

When pressed for reasons for their diagnosis they told me that experience led them to their conclusion which doesn't seem right if they haven't performed the basic checks.

Regards,

Dave.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it would take them 2 minutes from opening the bonnet to perform the check and tell if the cooler has failed and the gearbox is filled with a watery emulsion..all they have to do is remove the transmission dipstick and suck up a bit of the fluid, and then check for discolouration of the coolant header tank..how hard is that!!

i think it's a case of ' we know best' without establishing some basic facts..

the emmision light is a seperate issue to the gearbox, that is just saying that the engine is running too rich and could cuae longterm damage to the catalyser..

i think that the garage need toprovide more physical evidence before you proceed

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thx for the reply.

I have booked it in to an impartial garage this morning for a 2nd opinion (another £40 vanished) as I'm not confident that they have performed any of the basic checks (they don't appear listed on my receipts)...

Nor have they even mentioned the emission light even though I listed it on a piece of paper for them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    it would take them 2 minutes from opening the bonnet to perform the check and tell if the cooler has failed and the gearbox is filled with a watery emulsion..all they have to do is remove the transmission dipstick and suck up a bit of the fluid, and then check for discolouration of the coolant header tank..how hard is that!!

i think it's a case of ' we know best' without establishing some basic facts..

the emmision light is a seperate issue to the gearbox, that is just saying that the engine is running too rich and could cuae longterm damage to the catalyser..

i think that the garage need toprovide more physical evidence before you proceed
    Not sure if that box comes with a dipstick, even though it aint hard to drain a little out of drain plug!! I have never come across transmission oil in the coolant always otherway round with the ones i have done, the coolant is more under pressure than the oil hence coolant in oil!! It only takes a small amount of water to knacker the box.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the auto's we have all have a small green dipstick on the front of the casing, thats 02 to 06 model years..you can vac a sample up from there...and on cooler engines the box pressure shoves it back the other way....the mrs's old auto went south with a header tank of milkshake....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi trampd1,

Mine has exactly the same problem at the moment - same model of car too. My mate jacked it up last night and checked the gearbox oil (there's a nut underneath which needs taking off before the dipstick releases from the top). If there's even one drop of water, the whole thing will look like a strawberry milkshake. As it happened, it was a nice deep red - almost black, so we know there's nothing wrong with the gearbox oil.

We reckon it's an electrical problem - seems quite common on the auto Vectras. Have you had the car long? Mine's going back to the dealer today (small independent dealer) to have the diagnostics run on it to find out what the problem is. If they try telling me it's the gearbox oil, I'm going to flip as we know that's not the case! I'm still under a 3 month parts warranty, but they won't get away with charging me for labour either, as I bought the car less than 48 hours ago so I'll be taking them to court for selling me a faulty and dangerous car if they try that!

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Adam,

If i were you, i would take the car back and demand your money back mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan77 View Post
    Adam,

If i were you, i would take the car back and demand your money back mate.
    I know... I really don't want to do that as the car is perfect except for this. I'll see what they say the fault is, and if they don't fix it properly then it's going to have to go back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information