Thread: vac hose on 3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default vac hose on 3.2

Maybe one for the tech heads on here...bought a couple of ecotek valves which have to be fitted into a vac hose on the inlet manifold.(servo hose being most common)..speaking to the guys at ecotek they say that this isn't the case with the 3.2 as this only comes off one side(or something..regardless..its not suitable). They recomended installing into the vac pipe that goes to the carbon filter, went to vx today as had to pic up some bits and got one of their guys to look..he couldn't say which hose went to the filter and reckoned the hose going to the tank vent valve could be used. can anyone confirm this or give me another option? as far as i understand it ideally it would need to be located in a hose thats immediatly after the butterfly on the throttle housing

ps No disrespect to anyone offering advice but would only like to hear 100% facts about this eg no i think its this one...as i'd like to get this right first time and not be chopping into pipes willynilly, Much thanks
    Last edited by hagga; 2nd July 2007 at 23:42.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Break servo vac hose mate. But bin them, there duff and the noise they produce will drive you mad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    Break servo vac hose mate. But bin them, there duff and the noise they produce will drive you mad!
    Ive used them before and find them to be ok..as a bhp upper they're no good but find they give metter mpg on a run..not fussed about the noise as my sterio is always up high lol as for the servo hose..have been told by ecotek that they can't be fitted there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They work by pulsing air into the air intake to try and mix air/fuel better for a better burn. They are tosh mate, if they worked the motorsport industry would be using them. They need a vacuum to work hence why I mentioned the servo hose and as close to the t piece as possible as this will then pulse into the intake. But as I said mate, apart from the bling (when you add the extra filters not supplied) they will do nothing to your 3.2 apart from drive you mad with there rasping noise on deceleration.

EDIT Wrote that not seeing your last post.
    You've used them before, and if your happy with them then who am I to judge.
    I took mine to pug dealer (as I fitted it to my 306) he took me through the hole vac system and this was the only place to fit it to the engine on that. Maybe Mark (GSI 3.2) may be able to point you to a more suitable area for the 3.2
    Last edited by rushy; 3rd July 2007 at 00:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

to be fair not everyone does rate them, I agree that they need the vacuum but this is gonna be most at closed or part throttle..which isn't common in motorsport. The servo hose is ideal on 4pot engines(or straights) but apparently on the 3.2 the servo hose is biased more to the front half of the manifold. As I said before,Ive used them before and found them ok but this was on 4 pot carb'd engines, I'll report back on effects these have on the 3.2....I might just agree with you lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looks like you've done your homework mate. Keep us informed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right, well all i can say is that the servo vacumn takeoff is only 15mm ahead of the centre line of the vee's plenum, see photograph...

so their reference to it being not suitable confuses me slightly..on the old Carb'd J series engines and the later VX engines that i have seen them fitted to, they whereall attached to the servo vacumn line, even though it drew it's vacumn off of one inlet tract out of the 4 only, so how that is supposed to be described as a central lineof draw is beyond me....and that servo line is really the only 'get attable' line to tap into, as the other end

..is only a breather hose and a small water line then it's the butterfly, so there is no real ability to attach it there....

Upon my past experience with these devices, i'd still plump for the servo hose, it's accesable and will do the job just as well as any other installation i have seen...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Mark, I'm confused what to do now lol, not that I'm saying that your wrong just wonder why the ecotek guys said not to use the servo one. What did you reckon to the hose that runs from the tank vent valve to the underside of the butterfly.(may see if vx has a throttle housing I can look at to see where this port sits)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

remembering the size of the hose that the ecotec needs to fit into ( about 6mm bore) i seriously wonder if the tank vent line would be big enough or provide enough draw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've just had a good look and that vent goes into the body right (manifold side) of the butterfly, I disconnected the pipe at the solenoid valve and there is plenty of vacuum there(deacreases as throttle is opened)(friendly nieghbour required when you have drive by wire grrr lol) so ive bunged them in there..the hose id wasn't an issue as the rigid is approx 9mm bore and vent flow should be ok as the solenoid valve is similar id to the ecoteks. Thanks for your help guys and I'll report back on any findings.

Thread Information